HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all. Joining post here, to get some idea of what I want.

I am very interested in getting a MR556A1, and have read that a few people have mentioned some hope of maybe later HK releasing a lighter barrel for this weapon as they have for some others in the past. If that is the case and they do, would you be able to purchase just the barrel from them and change it out without messing up a warranty?

·
Banned
879 Posts
It'll be easier to send your upper to a competent smith and have the current barrel re-profiled and if you so wish, nitrided to increase life, toughness, durability, corrosion resistance, surface hardness, etc.

You'll wait a decade or two less for a better barrel too.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Barrels are designed to wear out and be replaced, so I'd imagine that if you replaced an HK barrel with another HK barrel and the work was done by an HK certified smith, you'd be good to go. That's all hypothetical since I've never heard of any other barrel offerings from HK for that weapon.

-W

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sadly there aren't any yet. But if I recall correctly I remember reading somewhere about lighter barrels being offered at a later date when the original 416 came out. I have my fingers crossed for something like this for the MR556. The only thing I am not fond of for the 556 is the weight, which from what I understand is caused by the barrel. If I had my wishes it would be a chromed 416 barrel and the 11 inch picatinny rail on mine instead of the 9 inch it comes with. To much barrel sticking out looks kinda odd to me, just a personal preference though.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I read in an earlier thread that cutting the barrel down will void HKs warranty, if you just re-profile it would that be the case also?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That would be my next question as well.......................

If you can purchase "just" the barrel and not have to get the full upper, would getting a new barrel to swap out with a re-profiled one and returning it to like new condition again effect anything after the fact if it did mess up your warranty, or is it a matter of once it's done you messed it up for good?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'd imagine you can get a barrel, it's a wear item and a replaceable part. It's HK though, so it probably costs twice what a new rifle costs ;)

-W

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ouch, well that's not good. Actually I read above asking about having a barrel re-profiled to cut down on some weight, which is what I was curious about. I don't think it will be a "bad" problem, I'm 6'4" and fairly active so I don't figure it will matter to me that much. That's what gyms are for after all. :) What concern's me more is my reach. I wouldn't consider myself to having an inordinately long reach, but at my height it's probably longer than average. I definitely don't want to feel like I have my thumbs up my nose as I fire, so if I need to lengthen a 556 slightly is there an extension made to do this with this AR?

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Ouch, well that's not good. Actually I read above asking about having a barrel re-profiled to cut down on some weight, which is what I was curious about. I don't think it will be a "bad" problem, I'm 6'4" and fairly active so I don't figure it will matter to me that much. That's what gyms are for after all. :) What concern's me more is my reach. I wouldn't consider myself to having an inordinately long reach, but at my height it's probably longer than average. I definitely don't want to feel like I have my thumbs up my nose as I fire, so if I need to lengthen a 556 slightly is there an extension made to do this with this AR?
I'm 6'5" and while hefting the MR556 is doable, in its stock form it is very nose heavy. After re-profiling my barrel, it now handles/feels like any other AR to me. As for reach, I found the stock 9" rail too short. The extended IAR rail feels much better to me, as I don't feel like my arms are all cramped. I'm very interested in the Geisselle 14" rail hopefully soon to be available to the public. I've got long arms and just run the stock completely extended. Feels very comfortable.

As for the warranty, in the past HK has stated the warranty is only voided on the altered parts, meaning they will charge you to replace a re-profiled barrel but it shouldn't effect the warranty say if the FCG crapped out on you. If you want the answer straight from HKs mouth e-mail their customer service, call them, or post in the CS section of this forum. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the warranty. The benefit of a better handling gun is way more important in my opinion than a warranty for something that will most likely have zero issues. Ultimately, its your dime and decision though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Excellent, thank you for that information. This is exactly what I was looking for. Of course, the next step in this parade is who does good enough work to have it sent too and have this done?

The 14" rail sounds like something I might be interested in as well. I looked in HK parts and they have one listed as 11" instead of the 9" it comes with, and while slightly longer, it's a long way from the 14" one you just mentioned. With some of the nose weight taken off it should hopefully work well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just read through that thread, thanks. Looks like something I will definitely be interested in as well. I am sort of making a list as I go. Re-profiling, maybe some kind of nitride treatment, Geisselle rails, Aimpoint glass, Aimpoint 3x, possibly KAC flip-up micros.

I have it sort of planned out if nothing changes, now I am just going daft waiting. :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts