HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a video about how to change out the mag release on a USP Compact for an extended one? I know the roll pin needs to come out with the spring but didn't know which side, if it matters, to punch out the roll pin.

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
1. punch-out the roll-pin (either side)
2. pull mag-release from frame (spring will come with it)
3. insert new extended mag-release (sping inserted in hole of mag release). may need a blade/knife to guide spring into frame
4. replace roll-pin

easier than changing a roll of toilet paper......really!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Thanks fatmat27 and the search function. Just did this in a couple minutes, now back to the search function for LEM conversion.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
easier than changing a roll of toilet paper......really!
Speak for yourself. Try sitting down on the throne the day after a HUGE Korean meal only to find no TP on the roll, none under the sink and no one home. isn't that easy anymore. FML :(

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hey, while we're talking about it...can you put the 45c mag release on a full size usp?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hey, while we're talking about it...can you put the 45c mag release on a full size usp?
Yes and no. Yes you can put it on but YMMV with it's reliability depending on your mags. I could not get it to work reliably with 40 cal jet funnel mags. however it works flawlessly with USP full size 45 mags.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Yes and no. Yes you can put it on but YMMV with it's reliability depending on your mags. I could not get it to work reliably with 40 cal jet funnel mags. however it works flawlessly with USP full size 45 mags.

Hmm...I'm gonna try it on the new 9mm combat competition. Guess we will see how it fairs with the 9mm jet funnel mags.

·
Registered
363 Posts
No issues whatsoever with my 9mm JF mags. Haven't shot my .40 CC so I can't say much about .40 mags.
I don't think it has anything to do with being in .40, I was just stating what gun I had issues with. Realistically there shouldn't be any discernable difference between the 9 and 40 jf mags. I know the 40 is heavier, but there are 3 more 9's to balance that out, no? I just think its a combination of the tang(?) being half the width of the stock usp release, the fact that the mags are plastic-not as hard a lip to catch on, and the degree of wear/play on a given pistol. My 40 has seen many rounds and it just might have a little too much play to hold them secure. Like I said that catch may be half the size but it holds a 12 round all steel .45 USP mag with no issue. I don't why, it may just be a case by case scenario.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I posted this a little while back, in regard to potential issues: http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handg...i-went-back-standard-version.html#post1183553

It's largely hit or miss on the full size polymer mags because the tolerance window is narrowed, in part to what chango mentioned - amount of wear on the polymer mag notch, as well as the tang not being as wide. The full size USP 9 and 40 do use a different mag release, which has a wider tab.

The tab also isn't allowed to tilt back into the magwell as far as it normally would, or with as much force into the magazine body/notch, because of the different recess in the USP trigger guard, which adds to the variables that could cause a problem. Even if the mag release is working now on certain pistols, there is a possibility they will malfunction down the line, as wear on any of the components increases.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Strictly on the full size usp line and polymer mags, or is this the case with the compacts as well?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts