HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how many rd's thru the HK 45C before change of recoil springs is needed?....For that matter, p-30 and p2000sk as well....?????

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I've heard 15-20K for the HK45/C and the P30's. Not sure about the P2000, but I'm sure it's in the ball park. Another good indicator is when your ejecting brass meets escape velocity and begins in orbit. No matter the count at that point, just replace the thing.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I've heard 15-20K for the HK45/C and the P30's. Not sure about the P2000, but I'm sure it's in the ball park. Another good indicator is when your ejecting brass meets escape velocity and begins in orbit. No matter the count at that point, just replace the thing.
Yes sir. 15-20k :) it's an HK, shouldn't worry about it for a while.

·
Registered
13 Posts
How are you guys replacing the spring? Looks as if you need to compress the spring and squeeze the end tabs to remover the retainer washer. Not sure how to go about that but it may be interesting when it comes time to try. I dont want to tweak the end tabs so I am not sure if there is a special method but to me that looks to be the only solution.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
To be honest i have never changed the spring on any of my HK's lol... my P30 is clocked in at about 5k+ rounds since pick up in 12/2011 so not worried about it yet.:wink:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I'm about to replace mine at the end of the year. I guess there is a tool to take the whole thing apart. I don't have said tool, so when it goes back to Hk I'll have them take care of it.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Just separate one end of the spring like a key chain, pull it over the retainer and screw it off. No need to pop the retainer off of the rod.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Just separate front end of the spring like a key ring, pull it over the retainer and screw it off. No need to pop the retainer off of the rod.
THIS ^

My pal Brownie always has the right answers of course, but I thought I'd help to make it just a little more clear, in case anyone didn't quite get it. . . :wink:

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
how many rd's thru the HK 45C before change of recoil springs is needed? . .
Probably $6,000 to $10,000 worth of ammo before you need to think about it. . .

Like my good friend Apollo11 said, you'll know it's time when your empties are landing in the next county instead of in the next shooting lane!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just separate one end of the spring like a key chain, pull it over the retainer and screw it off. No need to pop the retainer off of the rod.
I haven't done this yet, but wouldn't you need to pull the end of the spring pretty far out to get it over the retaining ring? Given the stiffness of the spring, this doesn't seem fun to do either. Maybe I just don't understand how this would work. Are there any videos? :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok so you get it off that way but I am not going to ruin a new spring putting it back on that same way. So it seems to me that retainer must come off easily once the spring is compressed or it needs to so the new spring can go on.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Am I the only one who is amazed at the recol spring longevity on HK's as opposed to every other gun? I figure if it will go 15k rounds....I'll just buy a new assembly when it's time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am not looking forward to changing the spring either. That little c-clip looks like a tough little SOB to put back.

Does the second, smaller "buffer" spring need to be changed, too?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
THIS ^

My pal Brownie always has the right answers of course, but I thought I'd help to make it just a little more clear, in case anyone didn't quite get it. . . :wink:
Correct. Thanks buddy. I typed it quickly right before walking out the door and could have been more clear. Glad you knew what I was getting at.

·
Premium Member
2,983 Posts
Am I the only one who is amazed at the recol spring longevity on HK's as opposed to every other gun? I figure if it will go 15k rounds....I'll just buy a new assembly when it's time.
This is what a lot of people do actually. I'd personally just get a new assembly and install the whole thing. In fact, I think I read somewhere that most of the time H&K will send you a new one for free if you give them a call and tell them your spring is worn and you need a new one.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Recently replaced the entire recoil assembly in my P30L 9mm at 25,000 rounds. The pistol functioned fine up until this point with the original spring and guide rod. My light reloads functioned perfectly with the new assembly. I'd probably replace the spring on a shorter pistol like the SK or 45c more frequently.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Ive often thought this too. Other company's usually recommend around 3000-5000. So for hk to go 15000 is simply amazing. Maybe hk 's really are better made than all the others.

·
Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
1,023 Posts
Ive often thought this too. Other company's usually recommend around 3000-5000. So for hk to go 15000 is simply amazing. Maybe hk 's really are better made than all the others.
well... HK uses higher quality springs (the flattened springs) which last longer, but also cost more to produce.
Glock for e.g. recommends to change the entire recoil spring assembly after 3,500-5,000 rounds (if you shoot target ammo - you'll get closer to 5k, if you shoot a lot of SD ammo - probably closer to 3.5k rounds) ... the entire RSA costs around $17 (for a Gen4).

A new HK RSA will cost you around $80. So while the HK RSA lasts longer and uses more expensive springs... it also costs nearly 4 times what the RSA of a competitor costs. So it probably lasts 5times longer but costs 4times as much....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts