HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a lot of threads about adding this part and that part with the caveat being to always make sure of your part count to remain 922r compliant. Is this much of a concern with PTR rifles and furniture? They used to offer some of their rifles with the collapsible stock (they don't anymore) which I assumed was an original HK stock. So one might assume that installing one on a PTR that didn't come with one would be okay. But did the PTR rifles with the collapsible stocks include more U.S. made parts elsewhere in the rifle to remain 922r compliant? What about wide HK handguards?

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Not to sound like a dumbass....but...isnt the PTR basically an American made gun that uses some foreign parts? Its not imported so 922 doesnt apply. CDNN will sell you the rifle with an A3 stock. In fact they have a special right now where you can get the stock for 99 dollars if you purchase the rifle from them.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
It has an American made reciever.I believe its OK.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Not to sound like a dumbass....but...isnt the PTR basically an American made gun that uses some foreign parts? Its not imported so 922 doesnt apply. CDNN will sell you the rifle with an A3 stock. In fact they have a special right now where you can get the stock for 99 dollars if you purchase the rifle from them.

Careful there. 922r also applies to "assault weapons built with imported parts". Ten or more imported parts will turn it into an illegal assault weapon instead of a "semiauto sporter". Bottom line is any more than ten imported parts in a gun and it's a 922r violation.

·
Registered
886 Posts
The barrel, trunnion, and receiver are consistently US made. the stocks and trigger parts, etc can vary to when it was made or its stock configuration. Post a pic of your rifle and we can help you out.

Bill

·
Registered
44 Posts
Careful there. 922r also applies to "assault weapons built with imported parts". Ten or more imported parts will turn it into an illegal assault weapon instead of a "semiauto sporter". Bottom line is any more than ten imported parts in a gun and it's a 922r violation.
+1

This is taken from: http://atf.treas.gov/regulations/27cfr178.html

Sec. 178.39 Assembly of semiautomatic rifles or shotguns.

(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun
using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this
section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under
section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily
adaptable to sporting purposes.
(b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to:
(1) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution
by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or
agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political
subdivision thereof; or
(2) The assembly of such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of
testing or experimentation authorized by the Director under the
provisions of Sec. 178.151; or
(3) The repair of any rifle or shotgun which had been imported into
or assembled in the United States prior to November 30, 1990, or the
replacement of any part of such firearm.
(c) For purposes of this section, the term imported parts are:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Buttstocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, handguards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floorplates

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The barrel, trunnion, and receiver are consistently US made. the stocks and trigger parts, etc can vary to when it was made or its stock configuration. Post a pic of your rifle and we can help you out.

Bill
I wish I could post a pic, but I'm in the sandbox; the rifle is back home. While online here, I found a good price for an A3 stock and wide handguard. I was afraid they wouldn't be available anymore by the time I got back, so I ordered them. They're waiting for me at the house. In the interim, I've been reading this forum and others quite a bit. It lets me live vicariously on you guys until I get back and can pursue my hobbies again in person. But the more I read, the more posts I see about 922r, and the more concerned I get. My PTR91 was purchased slightly used. It is full-sized and has one of those Choate folding stocks with the "tactical" aluminum handguard without rails. I never did like the handguard, and the folding stock closes too easily and just looks, well, cheesy. I was very conscious of 922r considerations back when I used to mess around with AK variants, and I knew that JLD used some imported parts. But I guess having seen pictures on their old web page of PTR's with A3 stocks and spare A3 stocks advertised in their online store (they don't offer them anymore) just stuck in my subconcious. I never questioned whether or not adding an A3 stock would be kosher. But with all the posts here about compliance issues I began to wonder if perhaps JLD had included more US parts with those A3-stocked rifles. Perhaps they all had US-made navy-type trigger housings or more US trigger group parts or something. Mine has the stamped housing, and I have no idea whether or not the hammer, sear, trigger, etc. are US made or not. I guess I'll probably just have to wait until I get back home and start counting.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Send me an email when you get back. Having a Thermold mag should set your parts count to where it should be Your current stock and fore end are US made, so swapping these will give a -2 count.

Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts