HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Mostly eastern block
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone first post on the forum. Ever since I played metal gear solid in my youth I have always wanted the mark 23. Recently I visited my local store, low and behold a mark 23. In my excitement I bought it right away. Now after all these years I have one but.... a little disappointment came when I discovered a chip I would say in the finish of my new unfired mark 23s finish on the slide, which continues to be easily scratched off by a fingernail. Now I have read some other posts here and there about the black finish being "fragile" but damn other than looking at it and handling it for just under a week I cannot fathom how this could be normal.
So my actual question is should I have hk look into this?
Hand Finger Gadget Communication Device Thumb

·
Registered
83 Posts
It is normal with the “maritime finish” and cera coating it will greatly depreciate its value.
The finish underneath the “paint“ is still protected. It will not rust on you. Cosmetically it kind of sucks but any ideas about cera coating a $2000 HK should be strongly discouraged.
If it bothers you, chances are you could re-sell it and replace it with a much less fragile newer/Hostile Enviromment finished version that lacks the “maritime” finish and also will not rust on you (and have $ left over from the experience).
My advice is enjoy your maritime 23

·
Registered
Mostly eastern block
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I wouldn't consider Cera coating it. Just very surprised at how easy the "paint" comes off. Not that it bothers me per say, I mean the pistol I normally carry/drill with has seen way way more use and still looks damn good. But a few days of handling and the black chips off seems out of the norm.

·
Registered
145 Posts
That would definitely bother me, Don't have it on mine though i have seen it a few times.
Guessing its some kind of shipping/handling wears.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
I’ll trade you a heavily fired but cosmetically perfect HE Mark 23 for your chipped and worthless Maritime. But seriously, it happens with that finish. It’s annoying but the trade off is worth it for what you have, congrats and enjoy your gun, and please don’t coat it

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Are they doing Maritime finish again???? I though that was a new gun with the CIP on it.
it doesn’t look Maritime to me at all.
Am I missing something?

@Stevetheakguy kick that MARK23 Down your driveway a couple of times, and then go shoot the snot out of it!
you won’t have to worry about scratches and you dang sure won’t hurt that gun!

BTW: if I find a beater for a good price… I would customize that bad boy in any Color or finish I choose. Now if it was a “KG”…. Maybe nit so much so!
M.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I wouldn't accept that. I have a P30L with maybe 30,000 rounds through it and it's my IDPA pistol, so it gets used pretty hard. It looks like it too. But with a new pistol, I want to be able to put the scratches where I want them.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
I wouldn't accept that. I have a P30L with maybe 30,000 rounds through it and it's my IDPA pistol, so it gets used pretty hard. It looks like it too. But with a new pistol, I want to be able to put the scratches where I want them.
I agree with this. Same idea when buying a new car... or new watch, or new whatever. It should be "perfect" from the factory and up to the buyer to put dings, scratches, or whatever he or she wishes.

·
Registered
Mostly eastern block
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I do plan on reaching them and seeing what they have to say. When I say light handling call me silly but I treat it like a baby set it down nicely on pillows and clothes and the finish issue started after I got it. And yes this is a new mark 23 as far as I can tell just arrived at the store with several other new hks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Likewise, Its not about the scratches, its about where the scratches are.

·
Registered
Mostly eastern block
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Date code is a 2021 so brand new. Also sent email to hkusa and awaiting their reply.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Like one of the previous members posted, I thought the Maritime finish was no longer used. Wait for HK's response. Their customer service is great, second to none.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Forgot to write this in my response. I think the new finish is called HE: Hostile environment finish. Why it already, chipped, who knows. Call HK

·
Registered
97 Posts
I do plan on reaching them and seeing what they have to say. When I say light handling call me silly but I treat it like a baby set it down nicely on pillows and clothes and the finish issue started after I got it. And yes this is a new mark 23 as far as I can tell just arrived at the store with several other new hks.
Excellent. Please let us know what they say. I'm confident you'll get squared away and enjoying your HK soon.

·
Registered
242 Posts
That sucks, and it would definitely bother me since it's brand new.

Reactions: Smile
1 - 20 of 37 Posts