HKPRO Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Mostly eastern block
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So far hk told me it's not maritime finish. And they don't warranty finish, but they are going to look into it as a qc issue. In which case the rep was talking about a new slide. Which I don't want to have miss matched serials, considering the finishes are obviously done in Germany. Not maritime so what is it, just a black lacquer? That's **** for a $2k handgun.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I wouldn't dismiss their ability to match the serial number on a new slide.

The finish is not laquer, it should be the same finish on all of the other HK pistols. Hostile Environment finish. That pistol looks like someone drug it across concrete or a file. That amount of finish wear isn't normal, even for a used pistol.

·
Registered
88 Posts
That looks more like a chip/flake than a scratch. Maybe a contaminant got on it prior to the finish being applied?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Damn, was looking at a new Mark 23 but kinda discouraged with that wear and tear. Hopefully HK comes through with a new matching serial slide for you.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
My maritime finish Mark 23 has thousands of rounds fired through it and the finish still looks fantastic. (KH date code) Not sure where the "maritime finish is fragile" data or feedback comes from. That is not "wear and tear" on that slide, it's obviously a quality control issue that somehow made it out of the factory. All products can have defects. The HE finish is extremely durable (when applied correctly) so not to worry HK will get you sorted out. If you can take off the finish with your fingernail, then something went sideways during production.

·
Registered
Mostly eastern block
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Unfortunately I don't have another hk to compare it to, first one. But compared to all my other combat pistols including my two Bulgarian maks I've never encountered such a fragile finish except for a lemon kusa saiga 12 which clearly had oil on it when they applied the finish.

·
Registered
83 Posts
That’s a quandary...
1. I have seen and scratched maritime finish guns with things that I believe the HE finish would shrug off. I have also seen barrels from maritime finish guns that have lost much of the maritime finish from the underside of the barrel from the RSA simply from firing. I don’t like it personally but of course it doesn’t affect function of the gun. One without this would of course maintain more value. The un-fired ones bring a premium. No one pays the same for other peoples playground memories when they can get their own unused $2000 toy unless the used one is at a more affordable price. I like the honest wear look on some weapons too but if I didn’t put the wear on it....seems kind of weird to take it over a new one. Others seek out distressed finishes etc. Cool. Takes all types. Not for me. If I use the gun regular enough....there’s little question the use will show..lol.
2. Yours appears to be new manufacture and should not show damage from the use and care you describe. Won’t hurt function but I would not be happy with it. If the fix is a mix-matches slide to make something look cosmetically better....the mix-matched serial number would cosmetically bother me more than the mark, and IMO likely affect value more.
Like others, I am interested to hear what HK CS says moving forward. I’m not in the camp of HK puts out lemons the same as everyone else. HK does put out lemons but their manufacturing standards/r and d costs/and qc have a great reputation. The number of lemons HKs puts out per capita should be lower than many others.
Anyhow, thanks for the updates as this goes along. Anyway you look at it, you have an exceptional gun.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I’ve encountered a few more recently produced VP9 pistols with some sub-optimal slide finishing. Unfortunately, this looks like a similar finishing flaw. In my experience this seems to affect CA (2020) date codes and onward.

To their credit, I believe Heckler & Koch would replace the slide for you should that be desired. The serial numbers will no longer match, however.

·
Registered
39 Posts
New ones are not maritime finish I think they stoped in early 2004 and they would scratch easily the new ones should not

·
Registered
108 Posts
If the finish is that fragile, what's it going to look like after you use it a while? I think I'd ask for some compensation in the form of 2 or 3 new mags and move on.

rambo

·
Registered
22 Posts
im looking forward to hearing if HK customer service comes thru for you. i tend to think as others have stated that there was some contaminant on the metal when the finish was applied.

like mentioned earlier, start your search for the KAC can, you wont be disappointed

·
Registered
858 Posts
Given the fact (I assume) the vast majority of Mark 23 buyers are collectors/enthusiasts it is entirely reasonable to question the marks/scratches on a new HK. Just because it can go to hell and back doesn’t mean guys want it to look like it did. It’s a $2k investment.

Want to know how many MDs I partner with who have Porsche GT2s/GT3s that will never see track time or hard use and are pristine in appearance? Same philosophy there.

·
Registered
Mostly eastern block
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Update. Hk wants me to send in the mark 23. Will be doing such here soon, hard for me to get to a shipping facility due to location and type of work I do.

·
Registered
Mostly eastern block
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Don't get me wrong, I don't care if it looks pristine. If it was normal wear or if this was caused by me "larping" I would accept it. My only other experience is with glock, sig and multiple C&R pistols which all have survived my training or the training of their countries military.. I plan on using the pistol quite a lot, which like Rambo mentioned with how easy it is at this point to continue the chip how long until that chip is now the entire length of the slide? I due believe a good finish is essential for a combat pistol.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts