HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently leaving the AK platform and going all in with a PTR 91 GI (if I can find one). There one question I have that I need answered. With the Choate stock folded, what is the length of a GI? If it's under 30" it's a pistol in MI and can carry it with my cpl (trunk rifle). Thanks.

Jeremy

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I don't believe the folded length is under 30" but maybe someone here can answer that. May be a smidge closer with a collapsed A3 stock.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
You can't make a rifle into a pistol like that. That's a fed thing, not a state thing.

Welcome to the Gray Bar Hotel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the state of Michigan, if a rifle or shotgun has the minimum barrel length but has an overall length under 30 inches but more than 26 inches, it is a pistol and must be registered. We call them Michigan Pistols :). It's still a long gun per the feds. Therefore, with my CPL, I can carry it loaded with me, or leave it in my car like a pistol.

Thanks for the welcome.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I can't say for the Choate side folder but with a collapsible stock my PTR32KPF is 31.5" OA collapsed and a standard full size PTR32 with a fixed stock is 39" OA. When you compare the standard PTR32 to the GI model, the GI is 40.5" OA in length. A collapsible stock won't meet your needs.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
In the state of Michigan, if a rifle or shotgun has the minimum barrel length but has an overall length under 30 inches but more than 26 inches, it is a pistol and must be registered. We call them Michigan Pistols :). It's still a long gun per the feds. Therefore, with my CPL, I can carry it loaded with me, or leave it in my car like a pistol.

Thanks for the welcome.
Don't be too much of a wise guy. I'm the only one on this board who has a Choate folder for a G3. It's on my HK91. I could put it on my PTR-91 when I get home and measure it. I think I've got a PTR with a 16.5" barrel.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the board. :biggrin:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't be too much of a wise guy. I'm the only one on this board who has a Choate folder for a G3. It's on my HK91. I could put it on my PTR-91 when I get home and measure it. I think I've got a PTR with a 16.5" barrel.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the board. :biggrin:
I get called many things and wise usually aint one of them ;-)

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
30 5/8" with flash suppressor
29.5" without

Barrel length: 16.5"

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
Yeah, I'm not adverse to shortening the barrel, just need to locaate a 15x1 die.
You really don't want to do that. A lathe is really needed to do the job correctly and stop giving Retro a hard time.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You really don't want to do that. A lathe is really needed to do the job correctly and stop giving Retro a hard time.
Haha, I'm starting to feel like Adam Sandler in Anger Management, ;).

Lathe, yes, got that covered. I'm an engineer and work at a custom machine building shop with multiple journeyman tool and die makers. I figured I would use the die to continue the threads down 2" and lathe cut and crown the barrel. If I can't do it then buying lunch will get it done ;).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Besides, if taking the barrel to 16" doesn't get me what I want, I'll embrace it for what it is and then aquire a PTR32 in 7.62x39 and make it what I want, with a permanently attached flash hider. SBRs are still illegal here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts