HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a choate stock from a member here and I like it fine. Dumb question is, when I shot Houston's K at Jeff's this year, his locked in the closed position. I'm fairly certain he had a standard choate and not the HK marked stock. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong if anything? The stock is so loose it just flaps open on its own.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
They do not lock closed per se but should require some effort to get the latch to ride over the locking catch. Certainly shouldn't just flop open. They do lock fully extended. I think someone else here had a problem and sent it back and they replaced it. I am speaking only of the adjustable LOP models as that is what I have.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They do not lock closed per se but should require some effort to get the latch to ride over the locking catch. Certainly shouldn't just flop open. They do lock fully extended. I think someone else here had a problem and sent it back and they replaced it. I am speaking only of the adjustable LOP models as that is what I have.
I have the original style USP. When I used Houston's stock, you had to physically lift the stock up to rotate it around.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
In these pics the white arrow points to the locking mechanism. This locks the stock open and it must be physically lifted to fold it. The yellow arrow points to "hump" that holds the stock folded and it must be lifted over this hump to extend. Not as much effort to open as to close but it will not just swing freely.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm. Weird. I'll have to make a video as it looks just like mine but it surely swings right open.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bump.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow. I hate to buy another stock. I really like this style. Anybody else have this style stock that doesn't flop open?

·
Registered
81 Posts
mine does the same thing, purchased new, they do not lock closed, there is a little resistance though, so it is not like it is flopping around, I imagine it is designed like that for a reason?...

·
Registered
199 Posts
From your video, you have the original Choate folder on your gun. It does not seem to be snugging up to the receiver as much as the one I have on my C93 rifle. My stock will not "flop" open unless I give it a pretty hefty plunge (as you did in your video). Otherwise it stays put when folded. Again, it seems to lay closer to my rifle receiver than does yours. Perhaps you could get someone to make up a different lock spring from a heavier wire stock and replace the one on your stock pivot pin. The pressure created by that spring on the two beveled locking surfaces is the only force that keeps the stock folded. FWIW, I also have the newer Choate stock with the adjustable LOP on a PTR91 16" barrelled rifle. Although it has the same locking mechanism, it seems to lock even tighter than the original one. Good luck on working out this problem.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I have One of the originals. With it closed, I can grab it by the pistol grip, shove it forward and the stock will fully open and lock.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Didn't Eagle Ind. or someone make a quick-deployment shoulder holster for the PDW?

Maybe the old-style easy-open is a feature, not a bug.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Didn't Eagle Ind. or someone make a quick-deployment shoulder holster for the PDW?

Maybe the old-style easy-open is a feature, not a bug.
I know the one they made was supposed to have a little strap attached to it to allow the stock to open when pulled forward. So maybe you're right.

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
The early Choate stocks are supposed to open easy... but not quite that easy. Ask Choate if they can "freshen" it up a bit. Maybe a newer spring or something. I wouldn't get rid of it by any means... they don't make that one any more.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What's the newer one like? I know about the tactical. They make a different version of this actual stock?

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
I just picked up a Choate 9mm K stock of the newer variety. It locks FIRMLY open AND closed... no tacticool push away opening with this one... you'll rip the rig off yer chest before you'll overcome the latch.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts