HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does any 416-mr223 owner knows if its normal that after firing 50 rounds with a new out of the box mr223
the chorme plated piston coms of the small top of the piston
is this normal

i was shooting factory magtech 223 55 gr

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
does any 416-mr223 owner knows if its normal that after firing 50 rounds with a new out of the box mr223
the chorme plated piston coms of the small top of the piston
is this normal
I don't quite understand what do you mean. But my MR223 piston does not look like it's chrome plated. After about 500 rounds it has carbon deposit on to of the piston just like any gas piston would do.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hope this pic helps

·
Registered
375 Posts
i'm not sure if mines chrome or not, it doesn't look like it, but my g36 and 416 pistons both get carbon buildups there

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Factory pistons are chrome coated. Adds hardness, reduces friction and "supposedly" improves cleanability... yeah, love that last one, lol.

Can't tell from the pic is that's a chip or carbon residue... but as others have mentioned, carbon residue is normal.

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Piston in my mr223 has a smoother finish, seems like very fine sandblasted stainless, not chromed.
I have same impression on mine. Also it looked exactly same as my friends SL-8 piston. Are SL-8 pistons chromed?

Anyway area pointed on photo seems to be prone to carbon buildup anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Piston in my mr223 has a smoother finish, seems like very fine sandblasted stainless, not chromed.
that's how my 416 piston looks too... could be chromed I guess? the mark you are referring to is likely carbon build up... so far as maintenance goes, cleaning the piston is the most labor intensive, and really it doesn't take much.... this is one of the things I really appreciate about the 416 design, just one of the benefits I appreciate that is.....

·
Registered
485 Posts
Have you looked at it under magnification? There seems to be another area near the dirty spot on your thumb on the outer diameter of the ring as well. Are these actually hard chrome plated or some other plating. This one looks more like a electroless nickel.

·
Registered
375 Posts
mine gets dirty at those rings by your thumb too, but i also shoot suppressed

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the pic shows a cleaned piston if a scrape with a metal object the finish wil come off

it has bin soaked for 1 hours in boretech elimenator

1 - 12 of 12 Posts