HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
HKPro Professional
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what kind of expectations everyone had for the civilian 416's and 417's HK plans on releasing. Do you guys think they'll remain unchanged for the most part or neutered significantly? Obviously there's no way to predict, but I thought it'd be interesting to see what the board members here had to say. I really hope HK decides to leave these as they are with the exception of the fire control groups. Full auto carriers would be nice as well. What are your opinions?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Heres my hopes:

Some parts will be semi-made in Germany, like Rough forged upper and lower reciever, and a "hammer forged" but not profiled barrel. Possibly a Bolt carrier group, but i dont know if they are forged or not...

The MAIN parts will only require milling/machining/profiling, and then finishing: parkerizing and anodizing... something we all know US manufactorers are more than capable of doing. The smaller parts such as Trigger group, bolt carrier etc... are ALL capable of having very well made in the US market.

My guess is they will be IDENTICLE upper recievers that are in the US currently (except barrel length being 16.5" as per the new HK calendar) with a semi-auto only lower with internals reminiscent of current AR15's, or possibly idenicle. (think of mabey a KAC match trigger etc...)

Really, if the gun complies with 922(r) (as with the USA made parts) theres no reason to have them nuetered in ANY way shape or form, so i have pretty high hopes we will get some very cool toys!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think if they're going to make them here, they'll make them without changing significantly. After all, they know people want them as-is, and changing them more than necessary may affect their sales figures. Obviously, the barrel length will be longer, and semi-auto trigger groups de rigueur for the most part, but otherwise I'm optimistic.

·
Super Moderator
4,379 Posts
I would expect the barrel profile to change in order to lighten the weapon somewhat. I'd expect to see the EXCELLENT quad rail carryover to the semi-auto variant. If I had to guess, I'd say that the magwell will retain the HK-specific design that is less slanted than the AR's. I would imagine that the standard bolt carrier would NOT be full-auto but rather, would be semi-auto. I would guess that full-auto bolt carriers would be available for purchase though.

·
Registered
390 Posts
My expectations are...they will take forever to hit the market and will be really expensive.

My expectations are that if any Democrat or if McCain get into presidency there will be some type of assault rifle/handgun ban or maybe both so please hurry up HK.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Really, if the gun complies with 922(r) (as with the USA made parts) theres no reason to have them nuetered in ANY way shape or form, so i have pretty high hopes we will get some very cool toys!
I agree 1000%! These will not be SL8s or USCs that had to be changed from there Full auto counter parts so they can be imported as "sporting rifles" The lower will be set up so it can not be converted to full auto and that is about it. I wonder if HK will sell Civilians the 14.5 inch and 10 inch 416 on a form 4 as a SBR though?????

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I agree 1000%! These will not be SL8s or USCs that had to be changed from there Full auto counter parts so they can be imported as "sporting rifles" The lower will be set up so it can not be converted to full auto and that is about it. I wonder if HK will sell Civilians the 14.5 inch and 10 inch 416 on a form 4 as a SBR though?????
Im gonna bet they'll have 14.5 and 10.5 inch barrels for "purchase" but who knows...

·
Registered
45 Posts
My hope is that the civillian versions of the 4-series weapons would externally/cosmetically they look as close as possible to their full functioning cousins (ie: keep the quad rails, no funny "sportster" stocks, no unthreaded barrels unable to mount flash hiders or crappy things that keep you from being able to make legal changes to the weapon with after market goodies and only be able to use limited/reduced capacity magazines).

Internally, except from having them be semi-auto only, have the same slick functioning internals that have been demonstrated to make the weapon more reliable than the standard AR15-type platform that it is intended to be a step up from. If you aren't going to make it a functional step up in design....why spend what will probably end up being $500+ to have something that is nothing more than an HK marked AR15, without the better 4-series functionality.

Yes it will likely have to have some USA manufactured parts to make it compliant with the laws. So if that is the case, why not put into production parts that will be able to be used on both the civilian and defense platforms: stocks, foregrip rail systems, flip up sights, sling swivels, etc.. Take care of two markets with a single facility and line of products. (Besides, it should not be very hard to find a company to take on those parts, since they may not require the level of high quality machining/finishing/coatings that the more vital internal parts would require-not that they should be POS either). Or maybe just use the compatible parts that may already be on the market, since much of the internals were supposed to be compatible with the current Colt parts.

Hopefully HK is listening.

·
HKPro Professional
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Before the announcement was made about this, I had spoken to a rep from Ashburn about getting spare parts for an upper I owned at the time. He said by the time I even needed spare parts, I'd be able to get any I needed because HK was going to market these guns to the general public. That kind of made me assume to a certain degree that most of, if not all the parts in the new guns (at least the uppers) will be interchangeable.

My predictions, since I never posted them in the beginning of the thread, are as follows:

- I think the internal and external dimensions of the upper and lower receivers will be identical.

- I think since HK will reportedly be manufacturing these guns with 50% parts support from Germany, they'll probably make all the proprietary parts like the piston, pusher rod, bolt carrier, upper receiver, handguard, etc...in Germany and the rest of the parts here in the US.

- I think the bolt carriers will still be full auto carriers because the HK carriers are designed with a bell shape at the rear to keep them from tilting during cycling. I don't see how a semi-auto carrier would allow for the bell design to be kept on the carrier.

Best case scenario would be if the uppers on the new guns were capable of being slapped right onto a select fire lower and ready to go (the 416's at least, I know the 417 lowers are proprietary).

Thanks for the responses. It was interesting to see what you guys had to say.

Tspeis

1 - 11 of 11 Posts