HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to sound stupid here, but I am. My 762 is my first foray into the assault rifle world and I have a question that will probably make you vets roll your eyes, but indulge me here. I am finally going to take my 762 out to the range this weekend but am concerned about cleaning it after. I have read the manuel a couple times but it still seems really complicated taking the rifle apart. Can anyone give me any helpful hints or pointers on what to take apart, what not to and what to really make sure gets cleaned. i want to do this right and not break or lose anything on the gun. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,611 Posts
Only special tip is to make sure you use the tool to press the buttons inside the push pins before you move them out OR in. After that, it's similar to a normal AR. Just have the instructions handy the first time, follow them step by step, and you should be OK. After a couple of times, you should be able to do it from memory.

One other tip: don't force anything. It's designed to be relatively easy to take down. If you have to beat on something, you are probably doing it wrong. Stop and check the manual or ask here.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Step 1: Clear your weapon and make sure it is unloaded before starting disassembly.

Step 2: Press out the rear takedown pin, located behind and to the right of the selector switch Press it out from left to the right. It is captivated, do not use force to pull it out, it is supposed to stay in the lower reciever

Step 3: Separate the upper from the lower by pressing the front pivot pin out from the left to right. It is captivated, do not use force to pull it out, it is supposed to stay in the lower reciever

On the rear takedown pin and front pivot pin, follow dwillHK's advice on depressing the buttons inside the pins.

Step 4: Pull charging handle to the rear and remove bolt. Align charging handle with cut-outs in the upper reciever and remove.

Step 5: Remove hand guard by loosening the two locking screws located on the right side. They are captivated in the hand guard, and not supposed to come out. When the screws are loose, pull out until they stop, then slide hand guard off towards the muzzle.

Step 6: Pull op-rod to the rear until it disconnects from piston, and pull towards muzzle to remove from upper reciever. Remove piston by pulling it towards the rear.

Step 7: Depress the buffer retaining pin, and pull out the buffer and action spring

Step 8: Disassembly of bolt carrier group. Pull out the firing pin retaining pin, from right to left. If captivated, leave it in the bolt carrier. Push up on firing pin safety, and remove firing pin and firing pin spring. Lift the cam pin out and remove the bolt.

To assemble, do it reverse order. Only thing to look out for is that you have to lift the firing pin safety up, press the firing pin and spring all the way in before you can lock the firing pin retaining pin in place.

----------------------------------------------------------

This is as far as I would take it to begin with. Before going to the range, make sure every part is properly lubed, except the inside of the barrel. Not dripping wet, but a nice coating of a good lube (I personally use CLP on all my guns, but it seems that product is shunned in the US)

If any of the part names are unclear, let me know and I'll post some pictures with references.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts