HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...Previous to posting, I did a search and couldn't seem to find any information on the proper method for cleaning the magazines, cleaning inside the grip, or how to properly handle and clean springs...Could someone please help me on this topic...Maybe it could be useful to make it into a sticky so new HK users can keep their pistols nice and clean...

p.s. The dealer who sold me the gun told me not to worry about cleaning the mags...He stated that it isn't necessary, and is a waste of time...After reading several posts, I decided that i should clean my mags...Good idea?

L

·
0 Posts
no gun is impervious to fouling from dirt and debris. you were absolutely right to question his actions.

you should definitely clean them. i do a full clean on them twice a year its really not that involved. just get a few tooth brushes, cotton swabs, and of course solvent & lube

remove the spring and follower. make sure theres not alot of rust on the spring. if so, you can soak it in a cup of solvent for a few hours. if not then clean with solvent and brush, dry, and re-lubricate. set aside.

take the follower and run it over with a solvent soaked rag and dry with a clean one. use cotton swab to get any nooks and crannies. ur done

cleaning the inside mag body is easy.

make sure its free of loose debris. you can then go in with solvent to clean all the cordite crud out with another tooth brush or a cotton swab. wipe clean

the magwell is pretty much the same; make sure the brush is sterile and get all the loose crap out. then go to solvent. making sure to get between the hammer strut spring and also in the slot where the magazine release locks into the mag.

re assemble the mag and ur done

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
I clean my mags with the pistol after shooting. Quick wipe on the follower, and I drag a rag thru the body of the mags and wipe the springs and floor plates down - its easy and takes just a few minutes.

Also the magwell gets cleaned - after all, it IS part of the pistol!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know of a DVD that would show the process of how to do all of this. I know how to field strip my pistol and clean the visible areas, but I am very uncomfortable w/ taking anything else apart. Would the video titled, "Mastering the USP," be of any help to someone like me who is interested in properly cleaning my entire pistol and mags?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Maybe Wrong

Blast it with Break Free, In my HK mag, I drop Militec in the load indicater holes and down the top. Wipe excess on mag sides. Probably wrong and will need to buy new mags in 6 months.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I may be lazy, but I have had my USP for 11 years, and have never taken apart my mags for cleaning.

I have also never had any issues with my mags what so ever

·
Registered
503 Posts
Does anyone know of a DVD that would show the process of how to do all of this. I know how to field strip my pistol and clean the visible areas, but I am very uncomfortable w/ taking anything else apart. Would the video titled, "Mastering the USP," be of any help to someone like me who is interested in properly cleaning my entire pistol and mags?
Mastering the USP does not cover cleaning mags. It is a good one for all the basics about the gun, including where to use a tiny dab of grease instead of oil.
I would not worry about taking a mag apart, there are VERY few parts and VERY easy to put back together. Pull the bottom piece (floor plate) and pull out the pieces. That's about it. Easy.
Arthur

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I'll fiddle w/ the magazine to try and take it apart...Anything I should avoid? I press the circular button on the bottom to initiate the process right?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts