HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, im new here and didn't know whether to post this question here or in the 'rookie' section, but who would be the best builder for an MP5 clone? Recently bought a receiver flat and all the exact parts i want in my first and likely only MP5 clone and now i just need someone to actually build it at some point. I've heard alot about Brethren Arms, and they certainly are interesting but, there is little info/reviews of how their service is (or maybe im garbage at finding it) Another company I hear of is Dakota Tactical who seem top notch, but their site seems to lack info on any kind of build service from provided parts? Lurking about on these forums I noticed that a character by the name of "ghilliebear" is quite popular on these forums, and i'd appreciate any info on his service and how i might be able to contact him in the future. I don't know of any other companies who build from provided parts, so if you guys would share links/info that would be amazing.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I don't have any guns made by Brethren, or Ghilliebear.

I understand from reading here that both make good guns.

Dakota used to make guns from flats and supplied parts, he rolled a flat and made my D54P several years ago, and it took about 5-6 months. But I'm not sure he'll do that anymore.

The wait for his guns began to stretch out into 2 years or more. You might go to his Vendor forum and ask there.

Dakota Tactical

Here's Ghillie Bear's vendor section:

Parabellum Combat Systems

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Joe @ Dakota Tactical no longer does parts kit builds... Strictly his own production guns now.
Ghilliebear (Jeff) @ PCS is where I would start in your situation.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
I don't have any guns made by Brethren, or Ghilliebear.

I understand from reading here that both make good guns.

Dakota used to make guns from flats and supplied parts, he rolled a flat and made my D54P several years ago, and it took about 5-6 months. But I'm not sure he'll do that anymore.

The wait for his guns began to stretch out into 2 years or more. You might go to his Vendor forum and ask there.

Dakota Tactical

Here's Ghillie Bear's vendor section:

Parabellum Combat Systems
Joe @ Dakota Tactical no longer does parts kit builds... Strictly his own production guns now.
Ghilliebear (Jeff) @ PCS is where I would start in your situation.
Thanks for plug guys! Correct, we no longer take customer parts kits. Our guns are available through one of our dealers. We ship approx 15 guns every 6-8 weeks now so depending on the model, you could get it right away from dealer inventory or have a short wait.

If you have a parts kit in-hand, yes-- Ghilliebear, Turner Fabrications, TPM Outfitters and Investment Grade Firearms all have no shortage of satisfied customers.

Cheers!
Joe

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
+1 for Jeff and PCS. Very happy with the builds he has done for me. Great service, and really fast turnaround. I also have a BA gun, and it is very nice.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
A big plus for Ghilliebear! Jeff has redone 2 century C93's for me, and those 2 are never fail no matter how hard I run them.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Ghillie does great work, I highly recommend him. Also try TPM Outfitters. It depends how long you want to wait. Some are months, , , , Some are years. There used to be an HK Smith / Build list with names and contact info. If you go with an unknown builder just check out their work before hand. Good luck on your project.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ghillie does great work, I highly recommend him. Also try TPM Outfitters. It depends how long you want to wait. Some are months, , , , Some are years. There used to be an HK Smith / Build list with names and contact info. If you go with an unknown builder just check out their work before hand. Good luck on your project.
so for those of you with Ghillie guns, how was the wait? I don't mind waiting for quality but, i'd like to know what i'm in for.

·
Registered
599 Posts
You might find that the price of a build puts you over the price of a turn key gun, like an MKE. Most folks seem to be finding that it's easier (and cheaper) to just buy one, now that there are some good off-the-shelf options.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You might find that the price of a build puts you over the price of a turn key gun, like an MKE. Most folks seem to be finding that it's easier (and cheaper) to just buy one, now that there are some good off-the-shelf options.
I know that but, I know for a fact if I bought an mke or some such, there's alot of work and money i'd want to put it in it to make it just the way i want that would end up making the cost quite high(similar logic to why I built my own AR). I also have heard quite a few horror stories about imported mp5s that are not german, and i don't like the finish/quality/parts i've seen in/on a lot of imports other people have. The worst import I've seen was out completely of spec and could not even mount a claw mount and looked beat despite being fairly new.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Curious by your comments as to what configuration you are trying to build and if you plan to run a sear? Also on the worst import that was completely out of spec, do you know which import? The Zenith MKE imports seems to be solid in my opinion and are well regarded as a quality weapon.

·
Registered
243 Posts
so for those of you with Ghillie guns, how was the wait? I don't mind waiting for quality but, i'd like to know what i'm in for.
On October 25th I went to the post office and sent Jeff parts via priority mail. I was told to expect a 4-5 week turn around. Yesterday, Nov 8th, Jeff handed a package off to UPS for my FFL. Should arrive tomorrow. I won't be able to pick it up until Tuesday because of work, but it I'll be ready for me.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Ghillie turned it around within a few weeks. He doesn't accept a bunch of builds and leave them sitting around. The G3K he built me is a bad mama jamma hog slayer deluxe. So far its been running smooth, no malfunctions. I trust him.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Curious by your comments as to what configuration you are trying to build and if you plan to run a sear? Also on the worst import that was completely out of spec, do you know which import? The Zenith MKE imports seems to be solid in my opinion and are well regarded as a quality weapon.
Im building an mp5-n style carbine with an action3 bolt, and ambi trigger pack, possibly with welded low profile rail, and yes i will run a sear at some point in the future(been savin my nickels). i believe said import was a Pakistani import but, i don't recall exactly, that was some time ago. With MKE, the only one i've handled had something up with the cocking tube assembly and i didn't like how it lacked the ambi trigger pack and had a long barrel rather than a fake can i could have removed. Something I failed to mention, my state wont allow to buy a pistol where the mag is in front of the trigger so that automatically disqualifies a lot of nice MP5s I have seen for sale at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If your at all inclined and have access to a welder you can do it yourself. An easy option is to buy a pre-made receiver and then your limited to the trunion and cocking tube welds. I'd say even an amatuer gunsmith with a mig welder can make some amazing stuff, and you will appreciate the process and the gun on a whole new level than someone just handing you something. It's alot of work and frustration but it pays off big, and it develops into a habit. All the custom guys started this way.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts