HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trying to decide if one was spending several grand a few times over the next year if should be for host guns or ammo?

Already have more of either than need or can carry for any SHTF, besides being diabetic does not realy matter, so would be hedge against future laws and price increases for hobby shooting. Besides the first dozen cases each of 223 and 308 have to be enough for a few days of anyways... lol.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
Though ammo tends to become "scarce" and expensive (remember 4 years ago?), I believe that the #1 priority would be to purchase any high-capacity magazines that you have ever felt you might like to have. #2 would be on those firearms that could reasonably be considered as falling under a future version of an AWB. #3 would be ammo but don't forget about .22 and sub-cal conversions so that you can "stretch" your purchasing power.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
If you have a good stash of guns, than I agree mags are important, then ammo. Then maybe more guns. I just dropped 2K on ammo this last week.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I would go with ammo.

I don't know exactly what all you have but based on your past posts and stuff it seems like you have a very nice collection. Several years ago I was in a situation where I had a lot of firearms and not much ammo. I was a total collector (which is ok) but I had all this money into guns that were basically good looking paperweights without ammo. I ended up selling off a part of my collection to purchase ammo and mags.

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
I'm not getting the sense that gun control is going to be a part of this election. We always have to be concerned about it, but I'm just not feeling it right now. I might consider which items will go up the most if we see an improving economy in the next 12 months. If we think that will be the case, then probably guns, magazines then ammo will go up in that order.

There you have it...the final answer...lol.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Look into reloading equipment if you do not have any. The best ammo for your gun is ammo that you have tuned for you gun. Top shooters reload ammo to get the best out of there firearms. You also save a bunch of money over factory loads.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I've been buying ammo (primarily .223 and 9mm 147gr) at a rate of a couple cases a month for the last year. IMO, both of these have been bargained priced for months and I've decided to stack them high and deep.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Getting real close to 53 dragon build, but have been spending a good bit on ammo. You can get a new clone but without ammo, not so much fun.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Guns unless you have enough,
Magazines unless you have enough.. or they are going for 100.00 a pop.....
Ammo unless you have thousands and thousands of rounds...
Then silver 1, 1/2, and 1/10 ounce rounds... under the radar of course.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Guns unless you have enough,
Magazines unless you have enough.. or they are going for 100.00 a pop.....
Ammo unless you have thousands and thousands of rounds...
Then silver 1, 1/2, and 1/10 ounce rounds... under the radar of course.
Missed stocking up more on gold when it was $400 and if was stocking up would go with pre 64 US coins most likely, however, this is for hobby use if the price points change over the next year as don't see myself really needing another firearm in my life time, above what I have here and at the farm.

Just put away ten cases of Wolf 223 for shooting, that fit in two 20mm cans along with a few thousand rounds of 124gr NATO 9mm (which use to fill the two cans) but this is only an addition to this summers and fall shooting ammo and so would have enough to load all the M27 links with out having to use any of the "good" ammo. Nearly easier to fit in another rifle than a few "boxes" of ammo ;-).

Thanks for the discussion, but like most things in life, it is easier to pick a winning lotto number than figure which way everything is going.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
My proiorities

1) Get the parts together for a HK93 Ghillie build.. part way there.. + mucho mags

2) Buy a PTR GI and lots more mags + several drums

3) Continue stocking up on reloading components, I mostly need centerfire primers and powder now. Have a Hornady progressive and a Dillon RL1050 with all the accessories. I am also into shotguns and am set up to cast my own slugs and buck, mostly need more powder and primers there

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Stripped AR lowers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts