HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reluctant to post this because I have not yet confirmed the outcome of the procedure...

Well I was technically never officially part of the purple club as my extractor is past that when I bought it. After looking at the P7 coated in TiN thread, I have considered getting my extractor coated in TiCN. This as an alternative means than getting a new extractor which will purple/bronze over again. I found of a place thats about 30mins away from me that can do it. The coating has a rating of rockwell c hardness 85 which is harder than any factory gun coat available (> HE, Tennifer, Melonite). The coat I will be getting will have a black finish like this:

If all things turn out good not just the coating but with real world usage (i.e. range time). The guys at the shop have already confirmed that I can setup a groupbuy/discount with them, meaning showing love to all you USP owners here. If interested.

Link of info about TiCN:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TiCN

Pic of my extractor:

So what do you guys think about this?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked through Ion Bond and they do the same stuff (PVD coating) as the shop I found. Being down in the city of oil theres a lot of companies who do PVD coating for drilling platform equipment.

The procedure is a 2 day turn around so hopefully next week I'll get everything squared away.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, the difference between Tennifer/Melonite and TiN is that Tennifer/Melonite treat the metal and change it's molecular crystalization, whereas TiN is a coating. TiN is harder, but it also can wear/chip/break off.

Look at a Glock that has had all the grey/black phosphate finish warn off (or even removed on purpose), and you see bare metal. That bare metal, however, is still protected, because it has been changed at the molecular level.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Well, the difference between Tennifer/Melonite and TiN is that Tennifer/Melonite treat the metal and change it's molecular crystalization, whereas TiN is a coating. TiN is harder, but it also can wear/chip/break off.

Look at a Glock that has had all the grey/black phosphate finish warn off (or even removed on purpose), and you see bare metal. That bare metal, however, is still protected, because it has been changed at the molecular level.
pics please

·
Registered
733 Posts
Cool. I have three 1911s coated with W DLC (Nitron) performed by Ionbond. I also had one 1911 coated with TiCN and had it removed and finished in W DLC.

I'm also looking at having a P7M8 W DLC'd as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts