HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I were to put a Gemtech Raptor suppressor on a CA94 (I think they call it a CA89) pistol, permanently mounting it, would it meet 16" length to allow me use of a stock? I know it isn't the best for the suppressor, but to me, it allows me to have a functional suppressed rifle without a stupid fake can on it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If it was MFRed as a pistol then the only way would be to SBR it. A pistol with a 1" to a 3' barrel is still just a pistol and you won't be able to use a stock and be withen the law.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
If I were to put a Gemtech Raptor suppressor permanently mounting it, would it meet 16" length to allow me use of a stock? I know it isn't the best for the suppressor, but to me, it allows me to have a functional suppressed rifle without a stupid fake can on it.
You can create a rifle from a pistol as long as it has a 16" barrel on it BEFORE you put a stock on it. I just don't know if the suppressor I am considering will be long enough when attached. I don't know where you got the idea that you have to SBR a pistol to make it into a rifle, but you might want to look into that a little more. It has been deemed legal for a long time now. I already have a couple AR15 lowers that were entered on the books as pistols, but I built them into rifles with 16" barrels and stocks. I just do it so that I can later shorten it to X" without a stock if I want (got a 10.5" one right now on one with no stock). Look at Thompson Center and their encore pistol that you can buy a rifle stock and barrels for.

·
Registered
65 Posts
making an SBR from a pistol

I really believe once a pistol allways a pistol. and therefore if you put a stock on the pistol your would be better off not taking it out of the house. Now if you install a resgistered sear in the pistol you can then use a forearm post and a stock if you wish.

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Technically speaking (and legally), you can convert a pistol into a rifle. But never back again. Reality may be different but that's the legal standpoint on it.

When you put the registered can on it, being an NFA weapon during that time, there may be some flexibility with the stock. Like when you put a registered sear into a pistol temporarily and can put a stock on it during that time. That's something that I'm not sure of. And it smells a little fishy so I'd definitely check first. Plugging a supressor on the front is definitely not the same as converting it to a machine gun.

·
Registered
864 Posts
This should in no way be construed as legal advice and anytime you have any questions regarding certain projects or the legality of firearms you should consult your local law enforcement and work your way up the chain until you receive a definitive answer, preferably in document form, however, in general I would like to clarify from what I believe to be true having researched this at some extent (most of us who have done AR pistol builds kinda know the routine)...a pistol can be converted into rifle by the owner at anytime HOWEVER, and this is kind of funny, the assembly must be in a certain order. We owe a lot of this to the Thompson contenders and the like that are pistols that can be hunted with. A pistol can be converted but first the barrel has to be placed on the gun (extending the barrel length to the legal mandate) and then the stock can be added. If you convert the gun back to pistol format then you must to the inverse, namely, remove the stock first and then the barrel. This is because to do it in any other way would inevitably create a SBR, if even for a split second, which would not be legal and therefor could not be done, however a pistol is allowed to have a barrel length long enough to also be legal in rifle configuration.

If you doubt me, I seriously encourage you to confirm my information.

As for the can extension, this is a question that rarely comes into play but I have pondered it from time to time. Is it cost effective? Most likely no. Your can costs money and would have to be permanently welded to the barrel. Would this effectively make your barrel long enough? I dont know the measurements of your suppressor...if in combination they reach the mandated minimum then you have a legal barrel length, but your can costs more than a couple hundred dollars which is all it would cost to SBR your gun so I would just do the SBR. Now this is all theoretical. I dont work for any LEO or ATF and I encourage you to double check but i think it would technically be legal.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Retro...you may be correct and Im kinda iffy myself on it, but I actually think that you can convert back to pistol if you follow the reverse correctly. Again, I am drawing from the hunting pistol debate that actually spawned the technical legality of this pistol/rifle loop hole.

I will say that I am not so sure that I would argue with anyone about it, but I believe enough that i will make that statement. If anyone has definitive information otherwise, I would love to be exposed to it.

·
Registered
621 Posts
from all of the research I have done, if something starts life as a rifle it has to stay a rifle, no ifs ands or buts. it can be an sbr, but it is still a rifle.

a pistol can change into a rifle, only as long as it NEVER meets the criteria of a sbr(without paperwork), and go back to a pistol, again as long as it NEVER meets the definition of an unregistered sbr.

think mech-tech conversion to a glock or 1911. starts as a pistol, changes to rifle, then can go back to a pistol.

that being said, permanently affixing a can to the end of a ca94 pistol would probably be more expensive than just making an sbr, and also limit you as to what host weapon you could attach the can to.

·
Registered
630 Posts
My advice, write the ATF tech branch and ask them, instead of asking the opinions of a board. Taking legal advice on something like that is never a good way to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts