HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From personal experience the SW/Coharie family of HK clones did not look like factory HK guns about 10-12 years ago. The cocking tubes didn't have ribs, etc. They typically worked out of the box or with some tweaking and considerable parts replacement.

The latest generation of Coharie guns I have had in run great and look much more like original HK's. The function and fit are also significantly more consistent and in spec with the German HK's.

With this opinion/observation in mind, I am having trouble spending the money to build up an HK receiver flat into an SBR with all German parts. I see the gain in performance/reliability against today's Coharie guns as neglible for a SIGNIFICANT increase in price. I don't see much increase in reliability of an HK tooled receiver flat versus the current generation Coharies.

I still view the HK MP5's and HK94/sbr as the ultimate 9mm smg/sbrs but the current Coharie offerings seem to be a much better value at the moment.

Any comments on different experiences with the current Coharies are appreciated. Also, please let me know if you think I am on crack but I am very impressed with the current Coharie HK copies.

Thanks,
Darin Reiss
FFL/SOT in KS

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
I think the consensus has been generally good on the latest releases of CA 94s.

But as for the flat - it's only going to be cost effective if you are rolling it yourself. You're right, if you pay to have it done, it will meet or exceed the price of the clones.

I have two of them, one will be an MP5, one will be an MP5SD. One of these days, that is. I still am lacking some major pieces of equipment to do the builds.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Shoot the clones; Store the original HK's

The best way to narrow down the debate over Original Heckler & Koch or a clone boils down to what it will be used for. (Shooter) or (Safe Queen). Most real HK's are just becoming too collectable to take them out to the range and unload. After all, most people at the range couldn't even tell or even care if it is an original. The only people who do are real collectors and most would prefer to rate weapons on condition and wear, over how great a group it delivered at your last range outing. So my advice is figure out what you are really going to do with your build before you start. Shoot the clones; Store the original HK's.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

I agree with the cost of having it made versus rolling it yourself. I wish I was a good TIG welder.

This is just for a shooter.

Thanks for the input.

Thanks,
Darin Reiss
FFL/SOT in KS

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Very well said! I've sear pack but it's just too painful to watch full-auto with my beautiful HK MP5K-PDW.
Now days, I only use my sear pack on clone, however the problem is I could not get 100% reliability and this is from the latest batch of Coharie.:470:

Get the clone but don’t expect to see German quality or reliability then again you’re paying fraction of original gun anyway.

Next time, I’m going to use the SW receiver + German kit to build up MP5SD.

The best way to narrow down the debate over Original Heckler & Koch or a clone boils down to what it will be used for. (Shooter) or (Safe Queen). Most real HK's are just becoming too collectable to take them out to the range and unload. After all, most people at the range couldn't even tell or even care if it is an original. The only people who do are real collectors and most would prefer to rate weapons on condition and wear, over how great a group it delivered at your last range outing. So my advice is figure out what you are really going to do with your build before you start. Shoot the clones; Store the original HK's.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Come on ladies! Shoot 'em! All it takes is a refinish and re-barrel and they're back to like new.

They're like airplanes - you just replace the engine and prop and stuff like tires as they wear out, but the airframe lasts practiaclly forever, just like a receiver.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Come on ladies! Shoot 'em! All it takes is a refinish and re-barrel and they're back to like new.

They're like airplanes - you just replace the engine and prop and stuff like tires as they wear out, but the airframe lasts practiaclly forever, just like a receiver.
Agreed. I got an SR9TC that was a minty safe queen, but hell if I'm paying that much for a gun to just sit in a safe.

As far as the original question, seems like flat prices for the 94s are just starting to go through the roof recently. Seems like the PWSNBN started a price escalation war.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Real HK94 safe queen only taken to private range. I got this NIB and im kicking my self for selling my HK94 shooter. Only the clones go to the department range now. All for shooting real or clone just want to keep my investments nice.

·
Registered
10,263 Posts

I agree with your assessment of shoot the hell out of them. I do. However, I've had receiver cracks in both the G-3 and my HK-33 right behind the trunnions. Small hairline cracks, hardly visable, but after conversations with both RDTS and Dyer was advised to fix it before I screwed them up good.

Genuine HKs, both of them. Got them welded and refinished, but don't go thinking they are bulletproof. If it happens again, I'll weld them up again and save the big $$$.

I'm still gonna treat them like I stole them... run the crap out of them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts