HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little help here...I have an MP 5/10 mm and will not feed a round off a magazine or multiple magazines. If I feed a round by hand into the barrel the gun will function and will eject a round and the firing pin has a very healthy hit on the primer. When ever a Round is stripped off the magazine the bullet gets compressed into the brass looking like a short round. A small part did come out of the magazine well and it looks like an extractor but the extractor is intact on the bolt face and it looks small than a regular extractor. I did buy a new recoil rod, but that didn’t help...also I did replace the extractor copper spring...any help would be appreciated thank you in advance...

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Unfortunately that is one of the bullet guides that the .40 and 10mm guns have installed in the trunnion to guide the rounds into the chamber. They are installed before the trunnion is installed in the receiver and repairing this is not going to be easy. If you disassemble your gun and look in the chamber area from the rear, you will probably see that there is one bullet guide still in place on the left or right side but they might both be missing and you will need a real pro to replace them.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Ooofff. Yea... very costly repair on that one. Man that hurts.

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Once get the bullet guide problem fixed you might consider replacing the copper coated extractor
spring with the correct spring for an MP5/40/10mm. They are hard to find right now and some
have suggested using a Hk 93/91 extractor spring.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Once get the bullet guide problem fixed you might consider replacing the copper coated extractor
spring with the correct spring for an MP5/40/10mm. They are hard to find right now and some
have suggested using a Hk 93/91 extractor spring.
Just got two MP5/40/10mm extractors in the mail yesterday...That will be an easy fix at least...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Unfortunately that is one of the bullet guides that the .40 and 10mm guns have installed in the trunnion to guide the rounds into the chamber. They are installed before the trunnion is installed in the receiver and repairing this is not going to be easy. If you disassemble your gun and look in the chamber area from the rear, you will probably see that there is one bullet guide still in place on the left or right side but they might both be missing and you will need a real pro to replace them.
Oh great...more down time and money...at least I know what the problem is now...I looked down the receiver and one of the bullet guides is missing...thanks for IDing it...I had no clue what it was...

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was just discussing a repair of this type with a buddy of mine who is a very talented smith. He actually figured out where the guide was located in relation to the outside of the receiver and then cut a flap in the sheet metal, bent it out of the way, and welded the replacement guide in place. He then bent the flap back into position and re-welded it in place. He is an artist with a TIG welder and can do stuff like that without leaving a mark but it was a lot of work. This is an alternative to pulling the trunnion out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was just discussing a repair of this type with a buddy of mine who is a very talented smith. He actually figured out where the guide was located in relation to the outside of the receiver and then cut a flap in the sheet metal, bent it out of the way, and welded the replacement guide in place. He then bent the flap back into position and re-welded it in place. He is an artist with a TIG welder and can do stuff like that without leaving a mark but it was a lot of work. This is an alternative to pulling the trunnion out.
this is going to be a very invasive process no matter which way I go I’ll go for the easy side first... Try to reinstall the bullet guide if successful tech weld the one on the other side so it doesn’t come out too. I may consider selling the gun if I have to replace the trunnion and maybe barrel... Is there anyone here that we consider doing a task and if so how would you do it

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ll have to ask a question it’s a popular failure for a 10 mm...or just MP5s

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I would say with Coharie and home built guns.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The trunion included with your firearm is prone to failure. That is why someone knew what it was without even seeing it.

Hate missing Staff Meetings! Learning the hard way sucks...If the Trunion needs replacing and might as well do the barrel too as was said by another member; its going to be expensive, not to mention opening up the receiver to do it...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Here is my opinion: The weapon you have is extremely cool and worth the investment.... as such, I would do the trunnion, barrel and replace the bolt.

Total expense (from the hip and definitely price will vary greatly based on the smith you end up using... but you could expect to spend around 2k in parts and smith work (using an RCM barrel with used HK parts)

once done... you will have one of the coolest MP5 variants out there...no doubt about it

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here is my opinion: The weapon you have is extremely cool and worth the investment.... as such, I would do the trunnion, barrel and replace the bolt.

Total expense (from the hip and definitely price will vary greatly based on the smith you end up using... but you could expect to spend around 2k in parts and smith work (using an RCM barrel with used HK parts)

once done... you will have one of the coolest MP5 variants out there...no doubt about it
I understand...I do thank you for the advise...do you know that kind of Gunsmith?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Lots of really good smiths on this forum... and I have used a few of them with great results. My go to first choice is usually Ghilliebear (forum name) from Parabellum Combat Systems. Pricing is extremely fair and work is top notch. I usually give him first crack at any projects... although I have bumped into a couple he turned down.

·
Registered
376 Posts
the 9mm MP5 doesn't have a feed ramp milled on the barrel or has a feed ramp on the trunnion, like yours.........the "feed ramp" are "ears" which is located on the mag itself on either side at the front the mag, that guides the round into the chamber when the bolt picks the round up from the mag.

the soviet PPS-43 SMG mags has the same principal..........except instead of "ears" like on the 9mm MP5 mags they punch in a "indents" on either side near the front of mag that does the same thing.....guides the round into the chamber when the bolt picks the round up from the mag

now why didn't HK make their 10mm mags like their 9mm mags with that feature? we'll never know,....but I can take a stab at it, it's all about the $$$$$$$$$, it's far cheaper to attach 2 small pieces of metal to the trunnion, then to make the mag out of steel with the ramp features.

mold injected mags= cheaper to make and faster to make a lot of them in a short period of time vs. cutting, bending, spot welding steel mags

1 - 20 of 21 Posts