HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
take a look at the pics. what is the "line" that starts on one magwell, goes over the top of the receiver and them back onto the other side of the magwell? My other 2 coharies dont have this? is this cosmetic only?

·
Registered
6,398 Posts
Neither of mine have it either. Maybe it's a clip job like they do to cars. :eek:

Is there a similar line on the inside or a weld?

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I wonder if it's a cast or stamped receiver Scott? Could that be a casting line that wasn't cleaned up well? Not sure why it'd be there.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder if it's a cast or stamped receiver Scott? Could that be a casting line that wasn't cleaned up well? Not sure why it'd be there.
Very well could be as it looks like my SW5 cast rec'd mp5k. Did coharie recently make cast receivers?

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Very well could be as it looks like my SW5 cast rec'd mp5k. Did coharie recently make cast receivers?
I was under the impression they were older. Someone else chime in. Don't think they have been made in a while.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Didnt think so either. I know my SW5 is heavy and built like a tank and was the only one of my 4x 9mm clones than ran 100% in F/A w/out any changes (this may/may not have anything to do with anything)..

·
Registered
536 Posts
Could be a masking line during the paint process. Just a mistake that should have been buffed out and wasn't.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Just to add, I have several SW/Coharie clones and none of them have any sort of lines in the finish.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I thinks it's a crack Scott. You don't need that filthy creature anyway! Pm me for shipping info!!!!! Lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
looks like a cosmetic error can you see in the magwell any physical damage were the line ocurs , i have a few newer clones and don't have a line like that ,i'm guessing its cosmetic and hopefully has no effect on function.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
This is not a cast receiver. The rear sight base on those is intregral with the receiver. Yours is welded on. Could be just the paint or an irregularity in the stamping. Look on the inside and make sure is isn't a crack. Woe be to you if it is.

·
Registered
10,251 Posts
Lay it on the table, stock open. Put one hand on the muzzle and the other on the back of the stock. Now lean on it... with some weight. If it's a crack, it'll open up a bit. If not, it won't. If it's a bad crack you might hear a noise and the gun might shift. This would be bad... kinda. Better it happen on a table than with the receiver up by your face... if you catch my drift.

AK-47 Fail - Snotr

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I got a more pics and its def cosmetic. no marks on the inside of the magwell (either side) or on the inside of the receiver. I literally looks like they hung the bare receiver with a piece of dental floss and then spray painted it, leaving a line on the outside of the receiver...

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I hate to say this but I think that line/lines are in the steel. The "X" in 9x19 is engraved after the flat is stamped. If the line was in the paint only it would also goes through the X . It looks pretty clear all stampings/engravings are on top of this line. Whether when it was when the flat was stamped or when the steel itself was poured before stamped. Fortunately, as you say it does not go all the way through and will not affect function but a defect none the less and the flat should have been discarded. Also FWIW there are no final cuts made on the optics mount tabs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It looks like a custom build and not a coharie build. They use a different shelf, mag catch, and most had the sling clip on their k models and I can't think of any that came with a real picto trigger pack. My first guess would be a paint line. Does the line exist on the inside or just the outside?

·
Registered
536 Posts
It looks like a custom build and not a coharie build. They use a different shelf, mag catch, and most had the sling clip on their k models and I can't think of any that came with a real picto trigger pack. My first guess would be a paint line. Does the line exist on the inside or just the outside?
The later Coharie guns I have include the full shelf as pictured, while the earlier builds have a reduced shelf. I'm having to agree with US Praetorian, I believe it is in the metal stamping after closer review of the images. I don't think it will go through to the inside of the receiver, but I do believe it is part of the stamping of that receiver. My K clone does have the the sling clip, but also came with the german style mag catch.

These guns were so hit and miss until it's hard to say.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
How the hell does someone let that leave the factory? I first thought it was just in the paint. After seeing those close up pics it looks like it's in the steel.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts