HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that this may be blasphemy, but I am trying to decide between a Sig P239 and an HK Compact USP, both in .40 S&W, for concealed carry. Which should I choose and why?

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
This is a Heckler & Koch forum - USP Compact .40S&W. If you ask the same question at the *ig forums, they will most likely recommend their pistol, what would you expect?

I think the Heckler & Koch is a better pistol...maybe a CZ 75 Compact .40S&W, but not *ig.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
I myself just don't like the feel of a sig and I think from what I have heard that their QC isn't what it used to be of late. I have heard a few complaining about various problems with them. But then again listen long, and hard enough and you will hear someone complain about all of them. I do think HK has a better re-sale value on them though. Oh well with whatever you decide good luck but for my money between your two choices it would be the HK.
However, if you haven't already do yourself a favor and go look at a P2000.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I realize that this may be blasphemy, but I am trying to decide between a Sig P239 and an HK Compact USP, both in .40 S&W, for concealed carry. Which should I choose and why?
While I don't currently have an HK, I do have a P239 (DA/SA in 9mm) and it is a fine firearm. It is VERY accurate and VERY reliable.

Good points? Besides being very reliable and very accurate, it is thin due to the single stack. Offered in DA/SA, DAO and DAK. The slightly longer, thin, grip is very comfortable.

Downsides? It isn't light for an 8+1 (9mm). Personally, I don't think that is that big of an issue with a good holster. My primary caution is the capacity. 8+1 with the standard mag, and they have an extended 10 rd. mag.

So if I don't have an HK, why am I here? I'm eyeballing the P2000 SK V3 to replace my P239 as my primary carry (the P2000 SK was not available when I purchased my P239). The thing I'm really interested in is the ability to take full size mags. My thinking is to carry it with the std. 10rd mag, and carry the 15rd P30 mags as spares.

From my perspective, smaller is better and as a result I try to stick to the sub-compact, but I'm not willing to give up DA/SA or go below 9mm.

With the increased development of better and better 9mm ammunition, like the Double Tap +P, I feel fine about carrying a 9mm (vs. larger caliber).

See if you can find a rental place. The place I go to has both the USPc and the P239. They unfortunately do not have the P2000/P2000 SK.

Personally I think either would be a fine choice.

-john

·
Premium Member
3,976 Posts
check out this thread I posted last week. I really like the SK, although I have yet to buy one... I too have a P239 (.40/with hogue grip stocks), and have found it to be a good little gun. But, like the other posts, it is a bit heavy for what it is, and it has a relatively low capacity when compared to the SK. The SK is only slightly larger than the baby glocks, and it is extremely well put together....

http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66646

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'd like to speak out for the P2000. I was issued a Beretta 92FS and made the switch about a year ago to the P2000 and am more than satisfied with both the way it packs and performs. I use it for uniformed patrol, plain cloths and CCW and in all applications it has exceeded my expectations. 100% reliable, very accurate, well made. Mine is the LEM version.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Check out the HK P2000SK, very nice sub compact. I used to own a Sig 239 .40, I sold it when I bought my HK P2000SK .40 V3. The HK is smaller, lighter, has greater mag capacity, and you can use the higher capacity compact mags in it. The only advantage the Sig 239 has is that it has a slimmer profile and the barrel is a little bit longer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
JMB is right.

I have a USP 40 Compact, a P239 .40, and an issued P2000 lem .40(not sk).

The P2000 is a great duty gun and I love it CCW compared to the P239. The Sigs are great guns and I prefer it's DAK trigger over anything else.

The P2000 is just a hair bigger than the P239, hardly noticeable and holds 12 vs. 7 in the mag. Plus it's lighter. So the SK is going to be a better CCW gun but I don't like that little of guns.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Two thumbs up - Compact USP 40

I borrowed a 239 in 40 because I was looking to maybe buy one in 9 for my wife (circular reasoning). I found the slide was way heavier than necessary, maybe because it's all stainless. It seemed heavier than the mid-size 228 compact 9 that I already own, the wife didn't like it and saved me about $600 by keeping the 228 she already likes. I am a fan of SIG and as I said own the 228, a 226 in 357/40 and the best they make in my judgment the 220 in 45. They are slim weapons, have outstanding out of the box accuracy, and reliability seldom rivaled. If I were in the market for a carry SIG it would be the new shorter 4" FS version of the 220, I believe they have labeled "carry" making it similar to the commander 1911s (Kimber PRO) in size.

Now onto the HK... this is what I carry every day. In my double digit handgun collection, this is where its at for me and there is none other. It's a compact 40, with a Tripp hard chromed slide that wears yellow and green mepros. This weapon is the cat's meow, it gives me everything that I want, mainly having full size features in a truly compact weapon, and nothing that I don't need or want.

I have a variant 1 allowing me to carry C&L, or hammer down with the manual safety on or safety off in the ready to fire DA mode. The firing mode interchangability remains one of the best features of the HK that no one else has been able to offer. If you're a DAO fan they have the LEM constant pull weight trigger. Accuracy, caliber, capacity, and power related to the other three factors are all as they should be for a carry weapon. Durability and reliability is beyond measure, mine has digested nearly a steady diet of duty hollow points like those from Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger, Federal Hydra Shock, HST, Remington Golden Saber (my carry in 165GR bonded) and others.

I didn't start out with this in mind, but am glad I found it, my intention was to carry my compact Glock 30 in 45 auto that I already had before I got my first USP, but the HK leaves it way behind in terms of what I've already mentioned, as well as weight and user friendliness (grip too short and wide).

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think both will serve you well. What ever feels and shoots best for you. I chose a P7 when I get my carry permit. If I want something for winter carry with more capacity my SIG SAUER P228 will fill that role. Both makes are excellent firearms. I know because I own both.

·
Registered
36 Posts
These are very different guns...

The 239 is definitely, hands down, more concealable.

The 239 is a single stack, I believe a better question would be the 229 vs the USP Compact.

I own a 239 and a USP Compact. The 239, as said, is a single stack so its grip is much thinner, thus making it easier to hide. Though of course, since it is single stacked, it has a lower capacity.

The USP Compact is really not very compact. Though imho, is the best firearm I've ever owned.

However, don't get me wrong, the 239 is deadly accurate and is very smooth. I prefer the Sig's trigger, but the USP has the durability of the Glock and the accuracy of a Sig.

Its just a question of what you need/want.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts