HKPRO Forums banner

Comparable recoil in both USP .45 models?

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  orfeo 
I have consistently heard that the USPc feels like it has less recoil than the USPf in .45. It doesnt make much sense to me, but I keep hearing it.

I held my 45USPc for about 5 minutes when I got last night before I sent it off to Ford's, and I am wondering if the less felt recoil is due to the smaller grip which would allow most people without huge hands to get a better overall hold on it?

I havent shot a USPc yet, so I cant say for sure. I certainly dont have any problems with recoil in my USPf 45, so its hard to imagine anything feeling better than that, but with a shorter slide and less weight, the only reason I can think of that would prompt so many people to say that they feel less recoil is the grip dimensions.

having owned both... I don't know if I buy into the fact that the fullsize has more felt recoil than the compact.

I attribute it to the following... the fullsize is a big gun and no matter how big your hands are, it will always be harder to grip than the smaller compact. when I first shot both of them, my initial impressions were "holy ****, this compact is like a friggin hand-cannon". Not the same impression on the fullsize. (I owned the compact first before getting a fullsize)

If you had some problems handling the fullsize, you won't have any handling the compact. Of the pair, I always preferred the compact.

(for reference, I'm 6'3", 210lbs)
do you have big paws or small paws?

I've heard that ALOT since joining HKPro. . . funny but my experience is the opposite.

Initially, I had been shooting the fullsize USP 45 (range rental). I loved it. When I bought my USP Compact 45, I didn't realize that it was not the same gun as the fullsize. I was expecting it to feel almost exactly the same as the range-gun I'd been renting. The first few times I shot my new USP Compact 45, I immediately noticed the difference from the fullsize one I was used to. It was noticeably (to me) sharper-feeling in recoil than the fullsize, and I was not particularly pleased about it. I thought the fullsize felt smoother, calmer, better. After a few sessions though, I settled right in to the USP Compact and never bothered to look back. :)
Yeah, it is really hard to make up for slide length and weight when it comes to recoil. It is really hard to imagine the felt recoil would be less with the USPc, its just imazing how many people feel that it is in their experience. I still stand by my grip dimensions differences opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.