HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here.
I just traded for what I thought was a P30sk V3... turns out even though the box says P30SK V3 its actually a V3 Compliant SKS model. At the time of trade, I didn't notice, and it was sight unseen until the swap.

Is there a way to eliminate the ambi safety or am I stuck with it? I thought it would be fine but it kind of bothers me now. I thought I'd carry it CnL but I think I'd prefer no safety first shot DA. Wish I would've found an LEM trigger but it was a trade so beggers can't be choosers.

Also, where's the best source for mags and can I get any with more capacity than 10?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Negative on removing the safety. You're stuck with it.

COMPL. is actually COMPLete, not Compliant.
I'm not sure that I'd fork over the $150 for the LEM upgrade, more likely that I'd buy a factory version, but is this upgradeable to LEM if it has the safety?

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
What you have is a P30SKS. The last “S” indicating it has a manual safety.

If you don’t want to use the safety, just leave it off?

Reactions: Hkp30sk

·
Registered
368 Posts
That's the version I have. The right side safety is a non-issue here. I get the preference thing - got to get what you want. But really, unless you have big 'ol bear paws it's not in the way. Why not try it for a while?

Reactions: LCSO264 and Hkp30sk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the version I have. The right side safety is a non-issue here. I get the preference thing - got to get what you want. But really, unless you have big 'ol bear paws it's not in the way. Why not try it for a while?
True, it does make a nice little thumb rest. I think I wanna get one of those LEM triggers to try out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I also got an SKS while focusing on a LEM.
I like the idea of a safety and decocker, so I live with mine and have no problem carrying it it cocked, safety on or off, hammer dropped and ready for DA-saftey on or off.
Gives excellent versatility.
But the DA is AWFUl and expensive for a top-notch trigger job.

My easiest shooting CCW is my 9mm Shield 2.0/Apex Conversion. A real JOY at the range and accurate enough for a shtf CCW.
But I still feel "safer" carrying the P30Sks, and hope I never really need it.
But it's more than capable if I do.

·
Registered
446 Posts
My wife and I have V3 (DA/SA) P30SKS's, converted to LEM, and we *prefer* the retained safeties.

For us, the perfect combination -- LEM trigger pull (no heavy DA) and a hammer I can thumb when reholstering to prevent NDs from trigger fouling (unlike a striker), but still with a manual safety that can be put on when the gun is not being carried (i.e., during administrative handling) and a decocker for belt-and-suspenders. We carry with the safeties off -- somewhat striker-like, but with the extra margin of the long, light trigger take up. We just did a two-person tactics course this weekend, and my LEM SKS was perfect (due to a holster issue, my wife had to put her SKS away and use a borrowed G19). The SKS was just as quick/easy to accurately shoot as the strikers in the class.

As to removing the safety lever, while I wouldn't want to remove the safety levers, even if I could I wouldn't -- unlike the USPs, the P30s have a hole in the left side of the frame for the detent and spring that hold the safety lever in the on and off positions. Not the end of the world, but looks a bit bubba'd without the levers.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My wife and I have V3 (DA/SA) P30SKS's, converted to LEM, and we *prefer* the retained safeties.

For us, the perfect combination -- LEM trigger pull (no heavy DA) and a hammer I can thumb when reholstering to prevent NDs from trigger fouling (unlike a striker), but still with a manual safety that can be put on when the gun is not being carried (i.e., during administrative handling) and a decocker for belt-and-suspenders. We carry with the safeties off -- somewhat striker-like, but with the extra margin of the long, light trigger take up. We just did a two-person tactics course this weekend, and my LEM SKS was perfect (due to a holster issue, my wife had to put her SKS away and use a borrowed G19). The SKS was just as quick/easy to accurately shoot as the strikers in the class.

As to removing the safety lever, while I wouldn't want to remove the safety levers, even if I could I wouldn't -- unlike the USPs, the P30s have a hole in the left side of the frame for the detent and spring that hold the safety lever in the on and off positions. Not the end of the world, but looks a bit bubba'd without the levers.
Awesome information! To clarify, when you do the LEM upgrade, the hammer isn't changed out for the spurless?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Awesome information! To clarify, when you do the LEM upgrade, the hammer isn't changed out for the spurless?
The LEM hammer is the "no snag" hammer, with a hollow section in the base to accept the LEM cocking piece. LEM won't work with the V3 hammer.

Additional data point: To keep the decocker, just keep the V3 sear instead of using the LEM sear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts