HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bedroom pistol is an HK VP9 currently. Given the body of experience here has anyone lost confidence in their VP9 based on any other reported experience, including various YouTube videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,497 Posts
Please don't let a video on YouTube to cause anyone of you to lose confidence in your H&K.
Shoot, enjoy and feel extremely confident.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Lost confidence? No, it is an HK. Tell me which HK ever merited "losing confidence" it it? I don't know of one. And yes, I own a VP9 (actually two of them).

There are lots of YouTube gurus who don't know and damn thing.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Don't plan it encountering much sand, mud, or water sitting in my nightstand.

Besides, I bet a lot of those failure to return to battery issues seen in MAC's videos would be resolved with a heavier recoil spring. Which is probably why all VP9s now come standard with the heavier VP40 spring.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Ah...No. Confidence not changed based on youtube videos (now I'll admit I've have lost confidence in a lot of other issues based on youtube vdeos-but not HKs)

·
Banned
151 Posts
It is safe to assume that any piece of machinery will fail after intentionally packing it with sand and expecting it to operate effectively after that.

·
Super Moderator
6,067 Posts
Here's my experience, but first to clear something up since a lot of you don't leave Handgun Talk. Stop posting MAC's video. It's not because we don't want you to see it, it's because HK doesn't sponsor his monetized content. PLAIN and SIMPLE. Non-monetized content, unlisted content, or 3rd party content is fine, so long as it doesn't violate the rules, and/or contribute financially to a 3rd party through traffic aka views on our site. Hope that makes sense, and I'm not coming at anyone sideways.

So that said, my mileage and @Marine0303 Sir, if you want to echo this/ add your mileage as I know you've both run HK's and have served your country. I would appreciate any added value Sir.

First off, I joined the Navy as a Master-At-Arms in 2006 at 20 years old. My first duty station was VQ-4 Security Det Pax River MD. We took over from Marines, and got a lot of their training. That meant going prone, rolling around in the dirt/sand/tall grass ect. Also sprinting crew served weapons out to fighting positions (not all that fun turns out). I can say without a doubt I've never dropped a weapon out of my hands, I have pointed a gun at people in an AT/FP and Law Enforcement capacity on duty about 10 times in 10 years. I have not been in combat. Let me say that again so there's no confusion....I HAVE NOT BEEN IN COMBAT. but the one time my rifle fell out of the rack because my sling wasn't draped properly, I paid for it like a Marine would pay for it. Also, from my 10 years Active duty I've carried a long arm and side arm in multiple conditions, in multiple countries, in both an AT/FP, Harbor Security (Underway in a patrol boat for 12-14 hours at times, 6 hours straight if I was lucky), and Law Enforcement capacity. Even getting dirty, my weapons were still functional. The holsters and other equipment did their job in keeping my weapons secured and as clean as possible. Even now as the Chief Investigator carrying an M11....I've still reinforced those practices, and experiences. Sprinting after someone, rolling around with them, fighting drunk insert branch here, and even having to change position with my live weapon trained on someone, I have NEVER gotten a weapon "Torture Test" level Dirty. Not a one time.

That said on my off time, I've had a concealed carry permit for 9 years. I've carried multiple pistols, mostly HK's (USPc 40, USP 45, HK45, HK45c, VP9) and the Glock 19. The most adverse conditions they faced was temperature variances, pocket lint, and conditions induced by swamp-ass. I have never had to draw my weapon and use it in a serious capacity to defend my life thank God. I have put my hand on it twice, and put a gun on my lap when driving a few times getting out of scary situations. I have Never gotten a weapon "Torture Test" level dirty.

The Moral of the story is this. First, assess how many times in your life you've been in similar fighting conditions. Then, assess the actual real probability you'll ever be in a situation like that. Throw in Red Dawn, or whatever other situation you feel like, but be honest with yourself about it. After that, assess your personal physical condition. See if you're as capable as your firearm. Lastly, assess your training level for both your physical capabilities and gun fighting capabilities. If you have a gun that won't keep up with YOU, then I suggest finding another one. IF you have a gun that you can't keep up with, Hit the gym, go to some training classes, and push yourself.

I will never, sell a gun because someone else thinks I should. There's videos that will show you a gun succeeding or failing in the same conditions. Murphy is always present. What the Marines taught me was not that my guns won't fail, it was how to keep fighting when they did, how to keep them in the fight, and how to transition when needed. That's what's important.

If someone else's opinion is going to push you over the edge, then you've got more problems than you're admitting to yourself. IF you run the gun into the ground faster than is required, look at other options. I don't know how many other ways to say it. So I'll leave it here.

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,497 Posts
So that said, my mileage and @Marine0303 Sir, if you want to echo this/ add your mileage as I know you've both run HK's and have served your country. I would appreciate any added value Sir.
Sure, I'll bite.

If you want confidence in your weapons and your abilities, you have to train. I'm not just saying that because I own a training company, but becuase it's true. You may have heard this before, but "amateurs practice until they get it right, but professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."
All weapons will fail. So, you have to train to work through such a failure. My point is, get your VP9 or other chosen weapon(s) and get out and train. If you think you can do that on your own, great, but with years of attending and running training, I will tell you that attending training courses as a student is where you get pushed out of your comfort zone and out of your comfort zone is where you're going to make real gains.
As for the reliabity of the VP9, I will tell you that it is extremely reliable. Like all HK weapons, designers spent years in design and testing before it was released. There are lots of things that HK does well and their reliability/endurance testing continues to be one of the many; light years beyond what many of their competitors can even begin to approach.
I will also tell you that subjecting any weapon, especially ones with as many small parts and added internal safety features as modern semi-auto pistols, to conditions of dirt and mud is going to cause malfunctions and stoppages. I did not notice any comparison testing in the video in question, showing the performance of any "like-model" and certainly did not waste any more of my time to search for them, but I can only assume that if you put a M&P, Glock, XD, etc through the same "test", you would see simliar results. To me, this should not be "surprising", as it appears to be to so many people. What it should tell everyone is that, you should take the best care you can with your weapons and be prepared (well-trained) in how to clear malfunctions/stoppages, to get them back up and running, when needed.
I'll close by stating that I've shot well over 15,000 rounds through one of my VP9s and almost 10,000 through another since I got them the month they were first released. Much of this time has been through training courses I have either attended as a student, or courses I have run myself. I've not had a single malfunction or stoppage during all that time, except for the ones I purposely set up/induced for a specific training drill. I don't baby my HKs, but I feed them quality ammunition and maintain them properly.
In short, if you want to build confidence, train with your weapon, outside your comfort zone and in how to deal with failure and use proper ammunition and maintenance, repeat, repeat, repeat.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I had a post deleted again? Seriously? I didn't promote a video, I merely made a reference.

I'm trying to have an honest discussion and it seems I'm being censored. This is ridiculous.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'm not going to type out everything I said. I basically said maybe a more realistic test for civilians is to go 10,000+ rounds without changing any springs, since many people neglect maintenance and this shows on high-round count training. I think HK springs (and guns) go longer.

[chill out. diesel1959]

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
My bedroom pistol is an HK VP9 currently. Given the body of experience here has anyone lost confidence in their VP9 based on any other reported experience, including various YouTube videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely not! Compared to many others that have offered their experiences on this forum, I've only put about 3,500 rounds through my VP9 to date (another 450 rounds today in another 8-hour intense advanced defensive pistol course), but I've had ZERO... once again... ZERO (knock on wood) malfunctions of any kind! We were outside all day in the sand and dirt... got sand in the pistol ("real world" vs. BS torture test conditions) and mags especially and I just wiped and blew it off/out and the pistol kept on running like a dream. We shot from the ground in all positions, from behind vehicles and barriers, dumping mags along the way. Stong hand and weak hand one-handed reloads, etc. I will do one of my OCD thorough cleanings before I fire it again of course! :690: I love this pistol so much I'm now seriously considering buying another! It's my go-to pistol for these types of courses for sure! The only other pistol I have run in a course is my G19 for a conceal carry course.

For each of these torture test videos, there are probably 10 that debunk them... search for those if they will make you feel more at ease. And yes, every firearm has the potential to fail at some point either due to extreme conditions or failure to properly maintain, etc. [edited out vs. references. diesel1959]

·
Super Moderator
6,067 Posts
Sure, I'll bite.

If you want confidence in your weapons and your abilities, you have to train. I'm not just saying that because I own a training company, but becuase it's true. You may have heard this before, but "amateurs practice until they get it right, but professionals practice until they get it wrong."
All weapons will fail. So, you have to train to work through such a failure. My point is, get your VP9 or other chosen weapon(s) and get out and train. If you think you can do that on your own, great, but with years of attending and running training, I will tell you that attending training courses as a student is where you get pushed out of your comfort zone and out of your comfort zone is where you're going to make real gains.
As for the reliabity of the VP9, I will tell you that it is extremely reliable. Like all HK weapons, designers spent years in design and testing before it was released. There are lots of things that HK does well and their reliability/endurance testing continues to be one of the many; light years beyond what many of their competitors can even begin to approach.
I will also tell you that subjecting any weapon, especially ones with as many small parts and added internal safety features as modern semi-auto pistols, to conditions of dirt and mud is going to cause malfunctions and stoppages. I did not notice any comparison testing in the video in question, showing the performance of any "like-model" and certainly did not waste any more of my time to search for them, but I can only assume that if you put a M&P, Glock, XD, etc through the same "test", you would see simliar results. To me, this should not be "surprising", as it appears to be to so many people. What it should tell everyone is that, you should take the best care you can with your weapons and be prepared (well-trained) in how to clear malfunctions/stoppages, to get them back up and running, when needed.
I'll close by stating that I've shot well over 15,000 rounds through one of my VP9s and almost 10,000 through another since I got them the month they were first released. Much of this time has been through training courses I have either attended as a student, or courses I have run myself. I've not had a single malfunction or stoppage during all that time, except for the ones I purposely set up/induced for a specific training drill. I don't baby my HKs, but I feed them quality ammunition and maintain them properly.
In short, if you want to build confidence, train with your weapon, outside your comfort zone and in how to deal with failure and use proper ammunition and maintenance, repeat, repeat, repeat.
Thank you for your input Sir. I appreciate it.

·
Unrepentant HKHolic
Ones that go Bang
5,190 Posts
I had a post deleted again? Seriously? I didn't promote a video, I merely made a reference.

I'm trying to have an honest discussion and it seems I'm being censored. This is ridiculous.
No promotion means no promotion think the mods have been pretty clear!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View attachment 72217

·
Registered
573 Posts
Mods seem to be a bit up tight deleting posts without even breaking the written rules. No link was given or repeated reference was made.

Censorship pansies.
I'm over here trying to discuss and DEFEND HK, on an HK forum, while thousands of people on another *unspecified* YouTube video are today being persuaded to believe the VP is a bad pistol. It seems someone wielding moderator authority would rather pretend that other discussion of HK pistols outside this forum doesn't exist. Definition of censorship and an echo chamber.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Monitized Youtube generate revenue with traffic. In the TV world, it is Sweeps Week. Simple candy to get the kids fired up.

I joined this web forum to learn useful information for enjoying the first HK I purchased in 1995, the USP 45.
If Youtube existed in 14.4k Modem days, would I have based my purchase on someone throwing a pistol in the gunk and proclaiming it to be sub-standard? Nope, the military pistol trials sold me on purchasing the pistol with my summer job money. I was still in college, money tight, but I knew I wanted the USP as my first self-funded purchase.

I am grateful for all the knowledge shared on this forum. Straight forward people, with information I could have only wished to have in 1995.

As for the VP9, as I have mentioned before, my wife went on a "blind" firearm tryout with her CCW instructor. With no brand bias from me, she came home, she said "I shot the VP9 the best". My wife has no tolerance for things "not working right", and the VP9 worked "right".

·
Registered
155 Posts
For a nightstand/carry gun, if you can train at the range and blow 50 rounds dozens of times with your chosen defense ammo without a failure, wouldn't you have a pretty high level of confidence in it for the conditions you are likely to encounter if, God forbid, you ever had to actually use it in a self-defense situation? I've shot 4000+ rounds through my VP9 in competition, granted I'm not submerging the pistol in mud before pulling the trigger, but I have no doubt when I pull the trigger it's going to go "bang". It's an HK, FFS. Those videos are deliberately provocative to drive ad revenue to the purveyors site, don't be a sucker.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts