HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally picked up a VP 40. Fired 310 rounds thru it today. I have some 180 round nose flat point reloads that I make and had a couple rounds that did not feed. I probably fired 260 rounds of HP's today I reload and a box of Winchester LE HP's. The gun likes the HP's. I have high confidence in this gun. I plan on putting another 300 rounds thru in the next day or so. This gun will likely replace my USP 45 as my daily carry gun.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
I love mine so far... only a few hundred rounds of .40 and a couple hundred of .357 SIG so far (RCM conversion barrel from HKparts.net), but no problems (knock on wood).

I was hoping for a "soft shooting" .40 as advertised and I believe they delivered. Once again I haven't fired that many rounds yet, but I'm now wondering what took me so long to get a .40!

Reactions: leadcounsel

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really like 40 cal. I have been reloading for the 16+ years now. This is my 17th HK. I use Winchester Ranger law enforcement hollow points as my carry round either 165 or 180 grain.. Same round I carried when I was active LE. 40 was and still is not authorized, my last 13 years I carried a USP 45 with 230 grain HP Rangers. 'I will try and get another 200 rounds down the pipe today.
I love this gun!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Rented a VP40 today. It's been several years since I fired .40 S&W, but I would probably not buy a VP40 based on this outing. Stout, snappy recoil using 180 gr. range ammo. Ergonomics and trigger were stellar as predicted. Still, the snappiness of the round is the drawback in a polymer platform without the mass of a metal framed gun.

I've yet to try a VP9.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience with one but I have put a few rounds through my uncles VP40 and it ran flawless. he says he has had zero problems as well.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Rented a VP40 today. It's been several years since I fired .40 S&W, but I would probably not buy a VP40 based on this outing. Stout, snappy recoil using 180 gr. range ammo. Ergonomics and trigger were stellar as predicted. Still, the snappiness of the round is the drawback in a polymer platform without the mass of a metal framed gun.

I've yet to try a VP9.
Own a P30 in 40 S&W and a P2000 in 357 Sig.
In my hands, going to the Large/X-Large backstraps significantly reduced felt recoil.
Wouldn't give up on the VP40 so quickly.

Full Disclosure:
Due to a screaming good deal ($449) my VP gun is a 9mm.
Haven't shot it yet, waiting on XS Big Dot NS installation and 250 rounds of 147 gr Ranger Ts :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
I got the chance to run another 100 rounds of .40 and 100 rounds of .357 SIG through my VP40 yesterday... purring like a kitten (with attitude :6200: )! Shot indoors this time... you have to love the muzzle flash/blast of the .357 SIG cartridge... wow!

Reactions: leadcounsel

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I have been thinking about the 180RNFP (round nose flat point) I reload. The bullets are from Ex-treme Bullets I really like their overall quality & price. I loaded this particular batch on the very low end of the table. Most likely not stout enough to cycle the gun fast enough. Next time I load this round I am going to go just higher than mid range and see how this gun performs. All my other rounds performed flawlessly and the were at much higher velocity. This is the load data on two loads I used and shot with the VP 40 180RNFP 6.2 grains 3N37 Vihta Vuori powder 165 grain HP 6.5 grains CFE powder..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts