HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon everybody. I'm considering a PTR purchase and the SN is in the AW09** range. I've read posts where the first 3000 or so AW numbers were considered to be a safe buy with no concerns about a possible soft trunnion. The owner says the gun has a number of German parts in it so I'm not too concerned. He also states that the bolt gap is .016".

Is there anything I should definitely check on before purchasing? Any idea who made the barrel? Is the barrel maker identified anywhere on the rifle? I appreciate any help/comments made.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Yes, between 300 and about 2000 they (AW prefix) are usually GTG. I have one and can't say anything bad about it. If the price is good I would jump on it

My barrel is the 18 inch heavy profile made by Thompson Center and it's as accurate as an original German HK

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, between 300 and about 2000 they (AW prefix) are usually GTG. I have one and can't say anything bad about it. If the price is good I would jump on it

My barrel is the 18 inch heavy profile made by Thompson Center and it's as accurate as an original German HK
How can you identify the barrel maker? The owner is asking $1200....is that too much for this rifle?

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
How can you identify the barrel maker? The owner is asking $1200....is that too much for this rifle?
If it is in that serial number range and has the straight 18 inch heavy barrel I would nearly guarantee it's a US made high quality TC. As to price, how many rds does it have thru it? Have you checked the bolt gap yourself? (it's easy) What comes with the gun? A3 stock? Claw mounts? Magazines, and what type and numbers? Any other upgrades or accessories?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it has a straight heavy barrel. Owner says that it came from the factory with the H&K A3 stock. I'm buying it on line and I can't check the bolt gap. 2 mags.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I did not pay much more that that for my last HK 308, a "jail broke" HK911.

Atlantic Firearms (just to pick one of many good suppliers and dealers) lists current models from $900 to $1100 ...
Yeah, I pretty much know that this is top dollar for a used PTR. The only reason I'm considering it is because it might have a TC barrel and owner says the fire control group, the A3 stock, and the bolt are all German.

I have a PTR 91 MSG but it's in the AW81** range and it's too heavy to lug around. I enjoy shooting it off the bench but have only managed to put a couple hundred rounds down range so far. I'm watching the bolt gap on it and it's dropped from .020" down to .012" so far.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I've read posts where the first 3000 or so AW numbers were considered to be a safe buy with no concerns about a possible soft trunnion.

Any thing after AW8360 are also GTG. They have the proper trunnion metallurgy, pin, barrel and number of chamber flutes with correct depth.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Looks just like my barrel. A3 stock is a $200 item so that helps. I would buy it. Make sure there is a conditional buy where the bolt gap must match what the seller states or you get a full refund

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for verifying the barrel, Blitzkrieg. Bud's online ad lists the current version of this gun at over $1400 and that would be with a Green Mountain barrei (I think). I've heard good things about the TC barrel and that, as well as the H&K/FMP parts is the only reason I'm interested in this gun.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Happy to help.. also take the forearm off and do a very detailed inspection of the trunnion.. that is where the chamber end of the barrel is fitted to the receiver, it's a sheet metal tube. Be looking for possible stress cracks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts