HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe I'm even considering a SW/Coharie/Whatever build.... But... here it is. I want a K-pdw to go along with my LSC fullsize SBR. What I want is to run the fullsize stocks A2/A3/B&T Folder, swap trigger packs over, and not spend a fortune.

I have a guy I am considering to do the work, but it's a pretty long lead time.

So now I'm considering buying a SW barreled reverse stretch upper from BMP. It seems like they really should have everything worked out by now, but I don't know. I plan on using German or RIM made bolt/carrier/etc. HK SEF trigger pack, hk mags, etc.

From what I can tell, the BMP sold ones have no dimple in the mag release, 3-lug non-navy barrel, and..... ? What else do I need to watch out for or know upfront?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Not to nitpick, but it's a "barreled receiver" not a "barreled upper". This is not an AR forum. :wink:

I got a K barreled receiver from BMPs almost two years ago. Unfinished. I had a lot of spare parts and bought a few more to complete it. It's worked flawlessly with my sear. A really nice gun. But I'm willing to believe that I got lucky. The mag well is a little tight, but I can live with that.

I don't think that I've had any problems with it at all. But I'm easy.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well... That is a nitpick. I consider it an upper on a scar and acr too, although those also receivers. It's on the top, it's an upper. :)

Yea, my RDTS fullsize has a tight-ish magwell so nothing new there. I just need to figure out how to do this cost effectively. I have no spare parts, so I'd be buying some specifically for this gun.

·
Registered
536 Posts
este,

Late last year I purchased some of the unfinished barreled receivers and then picked up a few more on the "Thanksgiving" special for the completed options. The unfinished ones required a little fitting for all to work right, but run just fine. The complete ones with the hand guards, required no fitting, I dropped in a bolt group, attached the lower trigger pack and the end cap and went to the range.

I fully support the builders on here, but these are hard to beat for the money...

J

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I think I'm probably down for one then. Only issue is that they are out of stock atm.

I'm going to have to sell or trade my B&T TP9 I think.... Although the TP9 is lighter, much smaller, easier to reload, shorter with a longer barrel... I pretty much "need" a K.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Yup, the reverse stretch is my favorite MP5 clone. It balances and handles ridiculously well with my B&T folder, and at 30 feet I can put two mags through a 2" bullseye with the iron sights without much effort. The gun is that easy to shoot, and inspires a lot of confidence.

Yes, I am an enabler.....

DSC_2918 by HKnut, on Flickr

DSC_2926 by HKnut, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I'll play. Yes you need a K. A real K. It is handier even than my full size 5. Very fun even without the choate and K grip. Very hot. This one is an sw5k. A little rough but it's sitting at .019" gap and has run everything I put through it with zero hiccups. That's on semi auto. I have no sear so I have to wait to borrow someone's. But I'm sure she'll be fine then too. Have to have Jeff weld up the carrier before she'd work in fa anyway.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I thought BMP was out of barreled receivers...haven't seen them on their site for months.
They are. Then again, they appear to be out of everything on there. If you give Nikki a call, she may be able to help. Be forewarned. She's only there twice a week.

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Jeff put my SW5K parts kit together and it runs fantastic semi and auto. I had him build it using my Sp89 bolt group and auto carrier then when I got it back I swapped it with a Rim Country setup that I purchased when it was being built. I used the kits lower trigger pack on with an SEF housing I had.

The only thing I have noticed with my SW 3 lug barrels is that HK flash hiders do not fit on them I don't know if the OD in them is not the exact same spec as HK. But I had mine threaded for suppressor anyway.

I guess my point is that the SW stuff seams to be fine if you use a RCM or HK bolt and carrier setup.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
Aren't we all?!

Oh and pnut, I'm really starting to like that UMP style stock for the 5. I may have to pick one up soon.
It is really comfortable and is a nice compromise between the A2 and the A3 for those who don't like the comfort level the A3 offers. They have been hard to come by, but someone recently posted in the "Heads up" section a company who will import them and ship to the US. I need to get off my a$$ and order another for the full size.

Also, I saw your post regarding the K getting too hot to shoot with the std forearm. I just shot this for the first time yesterday with the K-grip and stock on it. I didn't notice any excessive heat after about 150 rounds, and never noticed any excessive heat when shooting in pistol form with the std sp89 forearm either. I would think a k and a reverse stretch would heat up about the same...........

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Hmm. I know the k grip works for me as I shot rhouston's on fa at Jeff's. But the sp89 forearm just got too hot and is too uncomfortable for me to shoot well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I emailed Nikki several times, and have been communicating by email since January. She is always quick to respond, but I was told then that it would be six weeks in January, then a month or so in March, then a couple weeks in May. I wouldn't hold my breath for the barrelled receiver. I was planning on going this route too, but have all but given up on them now.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Yup, the reverse stretch is my favorite MP5 clone. It balances and handles ridiculously well with my B&T folder, and at 30 feet I can put two mags through a 2" bullseye with the iron sights without much effort. The gun is that easy to shoot, and inspires a lot of confidence.

Yes, I am an enabler.....

DSC_2918 by HKnut, on Flickr

DSC_2926 by HKnut, on Flickr
I guess that laser jig at the shop is good for something. I never get tired of looking at your photos :)

To the op, if you are referring to the wait time for my build, all I can suggest is that you read this thread:
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/dakota-tactical/158967-hk-clone-buyers-guide-pictorial.html
and then study the details of whichever firearm you do end up getting. Getting a firearm to run is the easy part, getting it to run safely, accurately and efficiently is where the work (and wait) comes in.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I emailed Nikki several times, and have been communicating by email since January. She is always quick to respond, but I was told then that it would be six weeks in January, then a month or so in March, then a couple weeks in May. I wouldn't hold my breath for the barrelled receiver. I was planning on going this route too, but have all but given up on them now.
In the end, Todd still wants to make money and sell gun(s) (parts). I would not count SW/BMP/CA out just yet.

Todd and Wendy moved recently (to Hawaii I am told, though there is manufacturing in MI and AZ as well as far as I can tell) and things have been, well, more than backed up.

They are still performing warranty work.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
I guess that laser jig at the shop is good for something.
You're not kidding Joe! I was blown away by the accuracy and ease of precision with such a small gun. And this one has the large big dot tritium front sight which isn't really made for precision. I thought I might be missing the target entirely until I reeled it in and found a hole in the middle of the bullseye. Usually out of 60 rounds there are a couple fliers, but not yesterday. I am in love with this thing, and yes, you and that laser jig are doing something right............glad I waited for the factory SBR from you. Well worth the wait!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well... Now I'm not sure. I do want one, but I have a budget that one this build I WILL NOT exceed. I learned my lesson with the fullsize build.

Still considering BMP, but yea, they are out of them. I guess I'll have to sell my B&T TP9 first and see how that affects things.

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
Well... That is a nitpick. I consider it an upper on a scar and acr too, although those also receivers. It's on the top, it's an upper. :)
It's not really a nitpick. Yeah, it's on top... doesn't make it an upper, tho'. When the "upper" is the controlled part (the receiver) that make "it" the gun. Uppers are generally considered "add-ons"... for a receiver such as an AR. Note you can own multiple "uppers" for an AR but ONLY the receiver has a serial number and is the controlled (4473) part.

In our case, the HK/clone receivers can't really be considered "uppers" at all. However, you DO have a bunch of "lowers" (grip frames) that you can actually call a "lower".

Legally, it would be fantastic to have the "lowers" considered the controlled part, instead of the barreled receivers.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts