HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the past few weeks, since I bought my Remington 700 SPS Tactical, I've been wanting to get another .308/7.62x51 rifle but in semi-auto.
I've had a DPMS LR308 I built, and I built it as a bench-rest rifle and it was just too damn heavy for me to enjoy shooting so I got rid of that, and every AR I've built since then has had a central lightweight "theme" to them, as light guns are something both myself and much smaller girlfriend can shoot, and I just like being able to throw the rifle around with ease. One thing that was nice about the LR-308 was the lack of recoil. Given the AR buffer and spring recoil reduction, as well as a Miculek muzzle brake on it, there was very little, if any, felt recoil.
How would something like a PTR-91 compare? I've never shot or even touched one, but I've been in the mood to get a .308 battle rifle and since I like H&K-type firearms a bit, I figured I may give it a go. I've been reading about a lot of people having to check head space and bolt/barrel tolerances and what not, is this a common issue? One thing I liked about the LR-308 was it was pretty much go time all the time. Never checked headspacing (although the upper I bought was complete from factory).
I've also shot and handles a Springfield M1A Loaded recently and it was pretty pleasant, although I don't like how I usually have to watch the fingers in my left hand so the bolt assembly doesn't slam down on them. Makes me feel like my stance is off when I move around too. Otherwise, very nice rifle to shoot.

So I guess my list of options are:
PTR-91
Some AR platform .308
Springfield M1A
DSA FAL clone

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
All the 308 guns are going to be heavier than their 223 counterparts. Now add in the fact that lighter guns kick more... and HK guns kick about the most, even though heavier than most.

Out of your list, I would grab the Springfield M1A as a go-to, Schumer-hit-the-fan gun. I have the FMP G-3 (HK type) and a sear in the gun is very counter productive... it's like trying to hang onto a berserk pogo stick. The shorter 51 and 51K is much more controllable with the trade off being less accurate. The M1A is a much more rounded 308 platform. Middle of ground weight, parts can be had, as accurate as you want to make it, and the cost of parts reflects the quality of the parts. Match grade costs more than rack grade. I know that at the rifle matches at Camp Perry up here on the North Coast, you'll never see a serious HK, PTR, FAL, or 308 AR. But you'll see plenty of 30-06 and 308 Garands, and lots of 308 M1As. These are the National High Power Championships... you'll only see what works on the line.

You'll have to decide on whether you want to carry a cool gun, profile at a gun show or use the same hole at a hundred yards.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts