HKPRO Forums banner

Consistantly Hiting Left With USP (PICS)

4K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Burke888 
#1 · (Edited)
After another trip to the range and a second shooter I have discovered that both of us are shooting left. I am not certain that it has do with the sights on the pistol or something to do with the shooters. We had a couple times where our groups were low left, indicating that we were jerking the trigger. Not once did we land any shots to the right of the bullseye, they were all left with the occasional low left shot from jerking the trigger. Tight groups, aside from the low left flyers.
Two other pistols, a .40 S&W Beretta Vertec and Mil-Spec 1911 resulted in mainly bullseye hits, with the sporadic low left shots (jerking trigger).

I love this pistol, I've had it for several years but I can't seem to hit the target like I can with other pistols. I took a look at sights and snapped some pictures. The rear sight seems to already have been adjusted from the factory, as seen in the pics.

My question to the HKpro's out there; in your opinion are the sights off and do they need more adjusting? If so, what do I need to adjust the sights and in which direction do they need to be pushed? Thanks for your help!

See less See more
#2 ·
That rear sight definitely looks like it is sitting off to the left quite a bit.

#5 ·
I'd agree, your sight (rear) is WAY off. Either it got bumped somehow or was installed incorrectly. Simple push here & there, you'd be back on track. :)

#7 ·
If your front sight was off to the left it would cause you to hit right, but if your rear sights are off to the left (which they are) it will cause you to hit left. Either adjust it yourself which isnt that hard and use some loctite or guntite or take it to a smith. I adjusted my front sight in my P2000SK myself which was off because none of the smiths in my area had a sight pusher for HK. I just used a rubber mallet and a flat head screw driver heavily wrapped in industrial grade electrical tape and it worked very well.

#9 ·
If a gunsmith is out of the question and you have access to a bench vise...

1. Remove the slide from the USP.

2. Use a few pieces of thick cardboard box cut to a little larger length and height as the slide, or use an old leather belt, and pad the full length of the slide between the jaws of the vise and the slide as you put it into the vise. Tighten it snug but do not over tighten.

3. Now take a soft brass punch and a hammer and slowly drift the sight back into position using careful, deliberate but firm taps with the hammer and punch. Take your time and make small adjustments.

#10 ·
If a gunsmith is out of the question and you have access to a bench vise...

1. Remove the slide from the USP.

2. Use a few pieces of thick cardboard box cut to a little larger length and height as the slide, or use an old leather belt, and pad the full length of the slide as you put it into the vise. Tighten it snug but do not over tighten.

3. Now take a soft brass punch and a hammer and slowly drift the sight back into position using careful, deliberate but firm taps with the hammer and punch. Take your time and make small adjustments.
Yes make sure you do small adjustments or you may find you knock your sight far to the right....dont ask how I know lol.

Also I cannot emphasize #2 enough...it is easier than you think to screw up a slide in a vice that has been overtightened....thankfully I only know this from second hand info...I swear.

#17 ·
Factory. Got it new in Christmas 2003. I've never been able to master the trigger on the pistol good enough to discern that it was shooting left. I noticed the sight issue a long time ago, but I just figured that it left the factory that way because that's how they sight them in at the factory and make the necessary adjustments.

#18 ·
especially with my income of a grocery shelve stalker.[/QUOTE]

yea, not much money in stalking grocery shelves. Stocking them does a little better LOL
If you do get the tool, you always have it, but having a good working relationship with a good gunsmith is worth something too. Advantages either way.
Good luck and happy safe shooting which ever you do
Arthur

#19 ·
First remember FORS: Front Opposite, Rear Same. Move the front sight in the OPPOSITE direction you want the bullet to go. Move the rear sight in the SAME direction you want the bullet to go. Works for up, down, right, and left.

Paint stirring sticks (FREE at Home Depot while you are buying a brass drift) work nice to protect the slide in a vice yet hold it firm enough.

GOOGLE "how to sight in a pistol", or "Pistol sight adjustment" FREE information. Look for info on sight pictures. Most hand guns are set with the POI (Point of Impact) on TOP of the sight post at 25 yards. Then, if shooting at greater distances, cover the POI with the top of the blade.

I have that USP sight tool. Personally, I think $50.00 spent on a paralux (sp?) hand gun rest from Cabela's or others is a better investment. It takes all of the guesswork (you) out of this task. It will save you a TON of ammo. This and a stack of Shoot N See Targets really improved my pistol shooting. Just another suggestion for the pot.

#20 ·
Thanks for all of the help.

I moved the rear sight to the center of the slide. I wedged the slide assembly between two pieces of 2x4 wood planks that made up a bench, had my younger brother hold the slide.

I then took an old belt, placed that on top of the sights, took a screw driver and hammered the screw driver. Worked out great and best of all it was completely free.

Once again, thank you everyone for the help, I am going out today to see if I shoot any better. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.