HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a HK94 soon and I plan to send it to RTDS to convert. What is required to convert it into a semi MP5 -N? Are parts available? Or am I better off getting it redone into a MP5?

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
The biggest thing with a MP5-N is the threaded 3 lug barrel. The end user might change out the navy lower and A3 stock.

·
Registered
230 Posts
As noted, the MP5-N uses a threaded "Navy" barrel (for thread on suppressors prefered by the SEAL teams). Factory Navy barrels (like I used) are hard to come by these days and tend to be pricey. Use an Urback barrel as these are available and of good quality. I am pretty sure that Ralph has or can get them so that should not be an issue. Figure $350 about (cound be easily $800 if you want factory unless you get lucky, which I did a number of years ago).

You will also need an MP5 3 position ambi lower with an FBI ambi semi auto only pack. The lower will be clipped and pinned as part of the conversion which Ralph can do. The lower and pack was running around $500 and may have gone.

Tritrium front sight. I paid like $65 a few years ago and do not even remember where I got it - I want to say these are easy to find.

Add flapper combat mag release - I am pretty sure that Ralph has these parts to do as part of the conversion.

You will need a fake supressor or barrel extension unless you file your form 1 and convert the 94 into an SBR. Not sure about getting one of those.

Ralph will also weld over the "HK-94" designation and engrave "MP5-N" if you want. You will then need a refin of the receiver (which I would recomend anyway).

BTW - Be wary of Ralph's promised turn-around times, he is notoriuos for quoting 3 months and then taking a year or more to complete.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
RDTS did my MP5-N in less than a month. It turned out great, I highly recommend Ralph.

Thanks for all the help. Can you post some pictures of your MP5-N? Who has the Navy packs for sale? The first thing I'm doing is sending form 1 off, then I'll send it to RTDS. I'll be getting the paddle mag release, restamped, I was just going to have Ralph cut and rethread with a 3 lug adapter. I think this will work for me. Then I was going to have him do a complete refinish. I just need to find a new Navy lower , Tritrium front sight and new surefire forearm. Anything I'm missing on this conversion? What do you guys think about having Ralph cut and rethread barrel?

Thanks for input

:79:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got my 94A3 today. I have a Navy pack on the way from Adam. Now I have to submit form 1 and wait, then its off to Ralph at RTDS.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm a step closer. I got my Navy pack from HK4evr (Adam Webber) today!
Now I'll be sending off form 1 in the morning. Thanks Adam for the great service!!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Looks great!! If you don't mind me asking, what was your time frame and final bill from Ralph?

Looking to get my DOJ done the same way.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Looks great!! If you don't mind me asking, what was your time frame and final bill from Ralph?

Looking to get my DOJ done the same way.
My conversion for the gunsmithing work by RDTS was $1600 which includes a 3 lug threaded barrel, flap install, remark, reweld carrier, refinish, refinish a3, shipping ($135). A lot of money, but well worth it. One month turn around.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Is there a better reason to get a Navy threaded barrel? Is it different than the 3 lug threaded barrel?

I'm trying to get a standard threading going so I can use the same suppressor for a 9mm SD, Sig 226 Tac, AR15 9mm, and HK94/MP5....is this a good idea or should I stick w/ multiple 9mm suppressors?

·
1,251 Posts
Persoanlly, I don't like a Navy barrel... I prefer just 3-lug.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have an HK94 DOJ gun with IGF & am going with the unthreaded 3-lug. Since I already have an AR-SBR with the 3-lug & a 3-lug M11 upper ordered, I have no need for the threads, AND I like the unthreaded look better.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Ordered up a MP5-N barrel from Gordon Miller a couple of months before the Creek. Gordon thought he had one but was out. Murray has some in process but not in, yet. Gordon thought he might get some in November.

·
Super Moderator
4,379 Posts
Is there a better reason to get a Navy threaded barrel? Is it different than the 3 lug threaded barrel?

I'm trying to get a standard threading going so I can use the same suppressor for a 9mm SD, Sig 226 Tac, AR15 9mm, and HK94/MP5....is this a good idea or should I stick w/ multiple 9mm suppressors?

I like the threaded 3-lug--but in 1/2"x28 as that's that same threading as my P7M8 and my P9S. I can take the Gemtech Trinity back and forth from each of them. Yes, I have both the 3-lug mount and the threaded mount; however, I like the threaded mounting best.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I like the threaded 3-lug--but in 1/2"x28 as that's that same threading as my P7M8 and my P9S. I can take the Gemtech Trinity back and forth from each of them. Yes, I have both the 3-lug mount and the threaded mount; however, I like the threaded mounting best.
I think you will have to get one of Murrays' barrels if you want it to be threaded 1/2" x 28 TPI. All HK 9mm barrels are threaded 1/2" x 32 TPI.

·
Super Moderator
4,379 Posts
I think you will have to get one of Murrays' barrels if you want it to be threaded 1/2" x 28 TPI. All HK 9mm barrels are threaded 1/2" x 32 TPI.
Yep, you're probably right--but that's not a bad thing at all. ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts