HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've recently decided to buy an SP5K and have it converted to an MP5K SBR. I think I've got it all figured out -- except for the question of whether or not to go with the 3 lug barrel. (I am aware that there have been some other threads on this topic.)

I already have a 300 blackout AR with a suppressor, but I also have an Obsidian 45 on the way. I think what I'm battling with is this: Do I want to sacrifice a bit of aesthetic for the ability to put a suppressor on the gun?

At the moment, my pros/cons list looks like this:

3 Lug Cons:
  • The nice HK German barrel essentially gets thrown away
  • Another ~$700 for a Swiss barrel + install
  • Flush barrel looks cooler (IMO)
  • Less appropriate for rescuing Morpheus
3 Lug Pros:
  • Suppressors are fun
  • 9mm is way cheaper to shoot than 300BLK
  • Suppressed setup is pretty neat
Obviously, only I can make this decision, but I thought I'd throw up a post here and see if anyone had anything to say that I might not have considered already. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
134 Posts
1. Don't throw away the German barrel.
2. An RCM barrel is $170, there's no reason to spend $400 on a Swiss barrel unless you fill your fireplace with $100 bills.
3. Suppressed MP5K-PDWs are an absolute joy. Best weapon ever created.

Flush barrel for Ks, 3-lug barrel for K-PDWs.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Just let me be the first to say "one of each." I only have one currently (SP 89 conversion) and I did PDW. Going to buy buy an SPk5 and leave it flush. And once I have two, I can dual wield just like Neo...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
604 Posts
Thinking about this A typically- any BAD but well armed (your ABOVE average type) movie terrorist, henchmen, gang member or 'good guys gone bad' military assault group worth their salt is armed with the MP5K. (The lower echelon characters are usually carrying the Uzi types or Tec 9's/Mac 10's, AK variants and siliver revolvers-?) Like wise, a GOOD heroic, zombie fighting, one man hostage recuing, drug lord fighting, kingpin takedown 'delta force' types are also armed with the MP5K and can be seen in certain situations 'dual wielding' MP5K's like a boss. Only on ocassionally do we see the rare MP5K-PDW fully dressed with a suppressor, sling, stock, premium optic and the Über cool laser set up. This is usually carried by the highest ranking SEAL team leader (or the 1st in hard charger), the well dressed/ custom tailored 'right hand' of the terrorist leader or by the average Joe who finds the weapon at the very last instance, but always in time to unload a full magazine into the alien/zombie/kingpin over lord.

I think that the MP5K would be more than enjoyable without the extra burden of cost and conversion wait times. You can also add a stock and call it an 'early prototype'! (With the proper NFA stamps of course.) If you are having a gun built from a flat, of course you could opt for all the bells and whistles and go with a threaded barrel, but I don't think it's 'needed'. You could put that 'conversion' money towards an fullsize MP5-N or a seperate, but equal, MP5K-PDW..

·
Registered
102 Posts
In my experience the MP5k is not very quiet with a suppressor.
Too much gas escapes out of the chamber because the bolt is opening relatively soon.
Also, save your original barrel and leave the front sight on it.
It can be re-installed at a later date if desired.

·
The Librarian
MP5-N and HK23E-K
5,403 Posts
The increased cost for 147 grain plus don't forget the German #28 Locking Piece which runs $150.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Most times unless we have the property or a private indoor range we shooting alongside the unsuppressed masses and still forced to wear EP anyway. So my vote is save the $ and keep it short...besides it looks cooler that way!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Clearly the best option is to buy two. Three really, because when I dual wield them they ought to have matching barrels. Unfortunately I don't have another 6-8 grand lying around at the moment.

In my experience the MP5k is not very quiet with a suppressor.
Too much gas escapes out of the chamber because the bolt is opening relatively soon.
Also, save your original barrel and leave the front sight on it.
It can be re-installed at a later date if desired.
Ah, I hadn't thought about this aspect too much. Anyone else care to comment on how well they think the gun suppresses?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Clearly the best option is to buy two. Three really, because when I dual wield them they ought to have matching barrels. Unfortunately I don't have another 6-8 grand lying around at the moment.

Ah, I hadn't thought about this aspect too much. Anyone else care to comment on how well they think the gun suppresses?
I think it's crazy to say the K doesn't suppress well. It's an incredible suppressor host.

·
Vendor
2,037 Posts
I replaced my SP89 German barrel with a RCM barrel long ago. I agree with you that the flush end looks better ...but I wanted the option of suppressor so I replaced it. Never wish I didnt all these years later. And that SP89 barrel is just sitting idle in a spare parts bin.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I made the same decision a month ago when getting my SP5K purchase sorted out, and here was my short analysis;

The PDW with extended barrel is great if you have a 3-lug can you use on another MP5 variant, or if you don't have another suppressed host in 9mm. The functionality it offers for about $400 (B&T) plus installation might be worth the expense, and on a semi-auto SBR, it certainly gives the gun more sex appeal. On the other hand, the short K barrel is the most compact firepower HK designed so long ago as a true machine pistol. To add the extra barrel length seems counter to the concept, and with the short and compact Choate folder alongside, the stubby K barrel looks perfect for it's role as concealable firepower. Adding a sear pack to the K takes it over the top for fun at the range, and with a burst pack makes it easy to run a consistent 3RB as fast as you can pull the trigger. As a semi-only SBR, I think the pistol origins are interesting, but would get old in single-shot pretty fast, making that suppressor a lot more interesting.

In the end, for me it was about maintaining the compact firepower that the K size delivers as a machinegun, and I decided against a barrel swap to PDW length. This is the perfect look for me, and you really can't go wrong with whatever you choose.

I will say that whatever you choose, get Mike Otte's SP5K no paint paddle installed. You owe it to yourself, and it's a beautiful thing that completes the package,

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm of the opinion that you should have the option to suppressor everything. I'm gathering parts for a K build and went with the 3 lug threaded barrel by RCM from KEArms.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts