HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, please help with my sanity (or not) -

I've gotten back into my HK kick. I sold my STI Ranger 1911 for an HK Pistol, I sold a sub MOA Rem 700 AICS gun for a German MP5 Parts Kit build, and now I'm thinking of selling my really high end AR-15 for an MR556.

Here's the AR I have:

Here's the part list:
Noveske 16 inch Recon Barrel
KAC-Knight's Armament Rifle Length URX II
Vltor Modular Upper Receiver, W/Bolt Assist/Shell Deflector
Kac-Knight's Armament Sr15/Pdw Triple Tap Muzzle Break, Inconel
Mid-Length Gas Tube
AR-15 Billet Lower
Norgon Ambi-Catch
BAD-ASS Selectors
Spikes Tactical Nickel Boron M16 Bolt Carrier Group
Spikes Tactical Battle Trigger
Spike's Tactical Lower Receiver Parts Kit
Spike's Tactical Billet Magazine Button
Spike's Tactical 6-Position Mil.-Spec. Buffer tube kit
Magpul CTR Carbine Stock M-Mil Black
Magpul Enhanced Rubber Buttpad
Magpul MIAD Grip
Magpul BAD (Battery Assist Device)
Magpul ASAP Ambidextrous Sling Attachment Point
Troy Ind. Rear Folding Battle Sight With Tritium, Black
Troy Ind. Folding Hk Battle Sight With Tritium, Black
PRI Gas Buster Charging Handle w/ Combat Latch

I built this gun as kind of an end-all, be-all SHTF/Zombie/Katrina/TEOTWAWI gun. But now I'm on this HK kick, and the MR556 is looking good again. I'm sure if I took the time to part it all out, I could recoup a decent amount of the money I put into it, and be pretty close to get a NIB MR556. My problem is that I decided against the MR556 when I built this gun because of the proprietary-ness of the MR556, i.e., non-milspec bolt or BCG. If the MR's failed (somehow), I could essentially never replace it or find another in a SHTF situation, so what use is it? I could swap out any random AR bolt with the one I have currently and be good to go.

On the Plus side, the MR556 seems to be ultra ******* reliable, and a very clean running gun being piston. And it's HK, bcause they hate me and love my wallet.

Not to mention a nice trinity of an HK P30LS, MP5-N, and a MR556.

Halp?

·
Registered
325 Posts
How often do you shoot? And when you do, where do you shoot and what drills do you run?

What is the purpose of your guns? Are you using it for something serious or for range fun/social shooting/general tomfoolery?

You sound like a hobbyist who doesn't shoot that often. Just saying.

If this is the case then buy ammo, not guns.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
I'm not sure what you are looking for. One can dream up almost any SHTF fantasy where the MR556 is better than some other AR, or another fantasy where a regular AR would be better. I'm not sure any of us have any better guess than you, because that's all it is, guessing for some scenario that hasn't happened and in all likelihood never will.

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
Mr. Boat raises some good points, and I'll add another.

If you choose to sell that AR above, you will most likely take quite a hit on it. Take it from someone who moves a hefty amount of guns and kit for mostly eval. AR's are a tough sell as those who have the means to piece together a quality build are more likely to do it themselves rather and using the parts THEY want. It is unlikely you will see much interest unless the price is "attractive" which means you selling for less.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mr. Boat raises some good points, and I'll add another.

If you choose to sell that AR above, you will most likely take quite a hit on it. Take it from someone who moves a hefty amount of guns and kit for mostly eval. AR's are a tough sell as those who have the means to piece together a quality build are more likely to do it themselves rather and using the parts THEY want. It is unlikely you will see much interest unless the price is "attractive" which means you selling for less.
What about parting out?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Sunken boats are sunk wheter in pieces or whole. You have some parts that are hard to source/get at times KAC/Noveske/MUR upper but the rest is to 4445's points- AR15's are the burger king of guns - you can have it your way and your way may not be mine...

Trust me, I have a stupid amount invested in LMT/VLTOR VIS and Noveske AR guns... they all work fine and quite frankly are not a reliability concern vs the MR556 SBR with 416 upper I have.

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
What about parting out?
Some parts will sell, others won't as MOA stated. I had an upper not unlike yours (MUR upper, Noveske barrel, KAC RAS rail) that I built back in '08, decided to sell in '09. It wasn't until this last fall that I sold the last remaining part of that upper (the barrel). If you do intend to sell, it might help to wait until its closer to election time; however, I don't think the AR parts mfg/dealers will make the same mistake twice.

It seems like you have a nice setup there. Don't forget that when it comes down to it, spare parts and serviceability should be a factor. MR556/416 are NOT readily available and are very expensive WHEN they ARE in stock.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like I had a temporary lapse in mental capacity!

Back to work everyone, nothing to see here ;)

Maybe I need both...

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Everyone should own a 556, or maybe I'm just that much cooler than you.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Keep your rifle. Save your pennies. Then buy the MR556.

I'm of the opinion everyone should have at least one direct impingement AR15. They are cheap, extremely reliable, and parts availability makes it a no brainer. I love my MR556, but I am honest with myself, and it does nothing that my LMT MRP wouldn't do equally well.

·
Registered
765 Posts
You're in an online forum, asking for public opinion about which gun is right for you. I can honestly confirm that you're nuts.
The choice of which forum tells me that you've already made up your mind, though.

P.S. Too many rail covers (they're only needed where you'll grab the rifle), and I've never been a fan of the angled forend grip. ....Since you're asking for our opinions.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I dont agree with that

best to have the rail covered because you never know how you may be picking up the rifle

I say the more rail covers the better!!

·
Banned
879 Posts
With my MR556 dissassembled and the steel parts elsewhere, I pulled my MR's handguard out of the safe to get something else and was suddenly struck by the fact that I was holding nearly a thousand dollars worth of gear in my hand that wasn't even attached to a working rifle.

Hand guard, Troy flip up front sight, Magpul rail covers, Blue Force Gear sling mount, TD stubby vertical grip, Contour HD mount, Surefire x300 light and pressure pad, all on an M27 11 inch rail.

Our hobby can be waaaaay too expensive sometimes, so yes, cover up as much rail as you can to protect it to the best extent possible. If it gets really damaged, replacement could be....um....difficult.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
With my MR556 dissassembled and the steel parts elsewhere, I pulled my MR's handguard out of the safe to get something else and was suddenly struck by the fact that I was holding nearly a thousand dollars worth of gear in my hand that wasn't even attached to a working rifle.

Hand guard, Troy flip up front sight, Magpul rail covers, Blue Force Gear sling mount, TD stubby vertical grip, Contour HD mount, Surefire x300 light and pressure pad, all on an M27 11 inch rail.

Our hobby can be waaaaay too expensive sometimes, so yes, cover up as much rail as you can to protect it to the best extent possible. If it gets really damaged, replacement could be....um....difficult.
Your right on that one, it gets out of control buying expensive add-on's to an already pricey platform. $2,400 after the shipping and transfer for my MR, then some how some way my final amount spent was $4,000. That's $1600 worth of add-on's, and the sad part is it could of been a lot more $$ if I chose a different optic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts