HKPRO Forums banner

Correct front sight for this sight picture

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  benben 
#1 ·

I have a USP 40 Compact with a set of long dead night sights on it. My gun currently shoots to Sight Image 3 with nearly all 40 S&W ammo I shoot through it (typically 180 grain). I want it to shoot Sight Image 2 which is what I'm used to.

What front/rear sight combo do I need to to have it shoot to Sight Image 2?

See less See more
#2 ·
The only advice that I can offer you is Dawson Precision. Understand that there may be other options to follow.

You would need to fire your pistol using the sight picture that you prefer. Then send the slide to him if you need installation. Or you could do the install yourself.

Whichever you decide he will need to know how much higher or lower your groups need to be.

For someone like myself, the test group would probably need to be fired off of a rest for the best results.

#3 ·
All HK’s are designed to use a combat hold (sight pic #3). I personally feel this is the best sight picture to use. I understand your use to the pumpkin in the post #2. I guess my question would be “why” try to manipulate a sight picture that is not specifically designed for the firearm you are issuing?? I wish I could give you the answer you desire. I can not. I’m sure someone might be able to chime in with a better, more appropriate answer to help you out. But I respectfully recommend you at least giving the sight picture #3 more of a chance!

#4 ·
I've been shooting pistols for about 30 years now, own probably two dozen, and am a police firearms instructor.

I have no desire whatsoever to change the sight picture I use for one gun.

I know I need a lower height front sigh to raise the point of impact. I was just curious since H&K numbers their sights (and Meprolight does not) which combo would give me #2.

#6 · (Edited)
Call H&K Customer service and ask them what front sight height you will need for your desired sight picture.

I have a few custom Colt 1911 and Browning Hi-Power, I specified the smiths use sights (Heinie Straight 8 night sights) for the Cover Sight picture #3, as I do find it the fastest sight picture to acquire.

#7 ·
Seems like I saw a formula somewhere online to figure what you’re asking, but I don’t remember where. Maybe you could gradually file down the front sight until you get the sight picture you desire, then remove and measure sight with dial caliper to order proper height sight.

#9 · (Edited)
Bought my first HK in 1995, a USPc in .40 S&W. Had been shooting Glocks exclusively up until that purchase. Done my research, bought the pistol and was sooo proud of my new HK!

I’m not a world class competition shooter, but I do shoot really well…..I couldn’t shoot that new HK worth a crap, as in what is wrong with this pistol? So frustrated! I eventually sold that pistol cause I didn’t want to shoot it anymore, it wasn’t until after I sold it I found out about the #3 sight picture! Thinking back I can’t remember if that information was in the owner’s manual back then?

It’s my biggest pistol regret to this day! That USPc was built like a tank, I’m a idiot!

EDIT…..had I done my research, I should have figured out it was a sight issue, at 10 yards the POI was dead center and about 8” or 9” directly below my POA! That’s been a lifetime ago it seems!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.