HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
thought I'd check again...

Just wondering if anyone out there has tried the Crimson Trace Rail Master on the P2000SK platform...

Thanks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I tried on my P30 and my P30L. It works great on either. It looks better on the P30. They come with several optional pieces that attach to the rail. You use the one that fits the best. It is really easy to adjust. I prefer using the P30 sights but I have used it enough to know that I can hit what the laser lands on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I reached out to Raven Concealment. They would build a holster if you send in the laser. They currently do not have this setup in-house. 16-18 weeks.

I checked for my P30.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sweet!

I used the #2 adapter that was included with the Rail Master, and it fits perfectly on my P2000SK.

Sorry for the blurry cellphone shot:
Thanks for posting that picture - this was exactly the feedback I was hoping to find! Actually, even better than I hoped after seeing how perfectly it fits on the gun. I can't wait to get mine now. I know it isn't the most secure set-up, but I am guessing I could get an IWB belt slide holster really cheap that would fit it for temporary use. I already have this one at home - quality is pretty mediocre to put it nicely, but it carries my Glock 23 quite well when I use it - might be too big for the P2000SK though.

Belt Slide Holster - 669280, Holsters at Sportsman's Guide

one quick question though... speaking of my Glock 23, I have the Glock Tactical Laser/Light GTL21 attachment on it (it is now my wife's bedside gun since I've got my USP 45) and the light snaps right on and off the gun perfectly and doesn't do any damage whatsoever to the rails/gun. Does the Crimson Trace Rail Master work just as well - easy on/off with no scraping to the gun/rails?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Good question. Actually, I wouldn't mind reading a full review of the Rail Master on a P2000sk...

As for holsters, Kydex is the way to go. Ravens are worth the wait, or I don't think its too hard to make your own. Most of them grab onto the laser though, so the holster would be ineffective if you took the laser off.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Rail Master did not damage the P2000SK rails

....one quick question though... speaking of my Glock 23, I have the Glock Tactical Laser/Light GTL21 attachment on it (it is now my wife's bedside gun since I've got my USP 45) and the light snaps right on and off the gun perfectly and doesn't do any damage whatsoever to the rails/gun. Does the Crimson Trace Rail Master work just as well - easy on/off with no scraping to the gun/rails?
Shouldn't be a problem. I had the laser screwed on nice and tight, and when I took it off the gun's rails were still perfect--no dents, scratches, or even any rub marks. It helps that the laser's rail clamps aren't metal; they're made of a very tough polymer that appears almost identical to the material that HK uses to make the P2000SK frame. The lug that locks the unit into the rail groove on the underside of the pistol is made from the same material, so that won't hurt the gun either.

Speaking of which: the Rail Master comes with four "inserts", as Crimson Trace calls them. The insert is the part that contains the lug that locks into your pistol's rail groove, and they come in various lengths to accommodate different placement of the groove(s) on various guns. You can't see the insert on the gun in my photo (because the SK is so short--the lug is hidden by the side rail clamps) so here's a pic from the CT website that better illustrates the lug, and shows how the laser can be used on a gun with a rail groove that's farther forward:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Good question. Actually, I wouldn't mind reading a full review of the Rail Master on a P2000sk...

As for holsters, Kydex is the way to go. Ravens are worth the wait, or I don't think its too hard to make your own. Most of them grab onto the laser though, so the holster would be ineffective if you took the laser off.
I haven't been able to shoot with this laser installed yet, so I can't give a full review, but here are some initial observations about the Rail Master on a P2000SK:

Installation was simple. After installing the battery, I selected and installed the #2 insert, which provided the best fit for the P2000SK by keeping the activation switches right at the front of the triggerguard. (It was just a happy coincidence that the front of the unit ended up flush with the muzzle.) With the side clamps still loose, I rotated the unit up until the insert lug was fully seated in the pistol's rail groove, then screwed the clamps tight.

I'm not sure if this was intentional on the part of Crimson Trace, but it's worth noting that lug dimensions on the four inserts varied considerably--two were about .148" thick, one was .178", and one was .202". While they all fit in a true Picatinny rail groove, only the two thinnest ones would fit in the rail groove on my P2000/P2000SK pistols. (Until today I never realized that the width of the P2000 groove is only about .152", considerably less than the nominal .206" width of a mil-spec rail groove.) Fortunately the #2 insert I selected had a thin lug, so it fit the P2000SK without any modification. If necessary, it would have been easy to file the thicker lugs down to the appropriate size.

Crimson Trace says they sight in their lasers for 50 feet at the factory, but every one I've ever installed still needs significant adjustment. In the case of the Rail Master on the P2000SK, windage was almost dead-on but elevation was off by six to eight inches.

Controls are ambidextrous, and laser activation is easy--just a tap on either the left or right side paddle switch will turn it on or off. There is no master shutoff switch to prevent inadvertent activation, so it's possible that a bump while the gun is in a holster or soft case might accidentally turn on the laser. Fortunately the Rail Master has an automatic 5-minute cutoff, so any accidental activation should not completely drain the battery.

The overall build quality of the Rail Master is excellent. And the best part is the price--right around $100 online.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I haven't been able to shoot with this laser installed yet, so I can't give a full review, but here are some initial observations about the Rail Master on a P2000SK:

Installation was simple. After installing the battery, I selected and installed the #2 insert, which provided the best fit for the P2000SK by keeping the activation switches right at the front of the triggerguard. (It was just a happy coincidence that the front of the unit ended up flush with the muzzle.) With the side clamps still loose, I rotated the unit up until the insert lug was fully seated in the pistol's rail groove, then screwed the clamps tight.

I'm not sure if this was intentional on the part of Crimson Trace, but it's worth noting that lug dimensions on the four inserts varied considerably--two were about .148" thick, one was .178", and one was .202". While they all fit in a true Picatinny rail groove, only the two thinnest ones would fit in the rail groove on my P2000/P2000SK pistols. (Until today I never realized that the width of the P2000 groove is only about .152", considerably less than the nominal .206" width of a mil-spec rail groove.) Fortunately the #2 insert I selected had a thin lug, so it fit the P2000SK without any modification. If necessary, it would have been easy to file the thicker lugs down to the appropriate size.

Crimson Trace says they sight in their lasers for 50 feet at the factory, but every one I've ever installed still needs significant adjustment. In the case of the Rail Master on the P2000SK, windage was almost dead-on but elevation was off by six to eight inches.

Controls are ambidextrous, and laser activation is easy--just a tap on either the left or right side paddle switch will turn it on or off. There is no master shutoff switch to prevent inadvertent activation, so it's possible that a bump while the gun is in a holster or soft case might accidentally turn on the laser. Fortunately the Rail Master has an automatic 5-minute cutoff, so any accidental activation should not completely drain the battery.

The overall build quality of the Rail Master is excellent. And the best part is the price--right around $100 online.
Thank you!

What is the process for zeroing it? Do you have confidence it will keep its zero after repeated firing?

·
Registered
55 Posts
What is the process for zeroing it? Do you have confidence it will keep its zero after repeated firing?
Windage and elevation are adjusted by turning two tiny screws with the included hex wrenches. Crimson Trace lasergrips are adjusted the same way, and they hold zero very well. (My Sig P239 has fired over 5000 rounds since its lasergrips were first installed and zeroed, and they've never needed any further adjustment.) I'm confident that the Rail Master will perform equally well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Windage and elevation are adjusted by turning two tiny screws with the included hex wrenches. Crimson Trace lasergrips are adjusted the same way, and they hold zero very well. (My Sig P239 has fired over 5000 rounds since its lasergrips were first installed and zeroed, and they've never needed any further adjustment.) I'm confident that the Rail Master will perform equally well.
I agree. That's why I was interested in the Rail Master in the first place. I have had first generation Crimson Trace Laser Grips on my Colt 1911 since 1995 or '96, right after the company started making them. They still work just as good as they did when I first bought them and hold their zero very, very well. I also have the Crimson Trace LaserGuard on my Kahr PM9 and have been equally impressed with its performance, not to mention it looks pretty cool too. Good looks on a self-defense utility tool are obviously not important, but it certainly doesn't hurt either.

I'm getting my P2000SK in the next few weeks (can't wait!) and will be putting the Rail Master on it as soon as I do. Heck, I will probably get the laser before I even get the gun.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Getting my P2000SK tomorrow in .40 S&W! Anyone find a holster rig that works well with the Rail Master attached?

Thanks!

(don't think I'll be sleeping tonight)

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
So, sorry to bring up an old thread but, I got one of the CMR-201 Crimson Trace Rail Masters as a present a few days ago. I mounted it using the #2 adapter. The laser is aiming almost about 10" low from my sights POA. I have tried to adjust it both physically and using the adjustment screw, but no dice. Is there something I might be missing or is this possibly a defectively aimed laser from the factory? I am 99.99999% sure that I have it mounted correctly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.