HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fairly new to the MP5 realm. I have a clone that I brought up in a previous post. Sending it back to the manufacturer for issues and am noticing that certain parts seem to be crookedly welded on, like the shelf and the rear sight base. I'm very familiar with the AK platform and it's common for certain parts to be canted, but tolerances are relatively loose for AKs. Is it common amongst the MP5 platform?
Edit: the cocking tube is also angled upward slightly, it is not perfectly parallel with the barrel or in line with the receiver. Using a caliper for all of this.
Hand Camera lens Camera Camera accessory Digital camera
Automotive tire Tire Bumper Motor vehicle Bicycle part

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
These are the details that determine the quality of the gun IMHO, along with the quality of the welds, even if they are only cosmetic. The alignment of the exclusion shelf is important to positioning of the trigger pack. More of a concern with full auto than semi but still should be right. The sight base alignment obviously affects sight alignment. The cocking tube is a common problem, even on some factory guns. It should be centered in the front sight bore - easiest seen by removing the end cap. Also the front sight should be vertical, not canted to line up with other errors.

The other place to inspect is the mag well. It should hold the mag without excess fore-aft or play - there will be some.

For the record, I posted this before he added pictures.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
If you got one of the first shipments of MKE, some had a canted barrels and had to be sent back. Does the POI the same as the aim? if so, then I think you are good to go.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These are the details that determine the quality of the gun IMHO, along with the quality of the welds, even if they are only cosmetic. The alignment of the exclusion shelf is important to positioning of the trigger pack. More of a concern with full auto than semi but still should be right. The sight base alignment obviously affects sight alignment. The cocking tube is a common problem, even on some factory guns. It should be centered in the front sight bore - easiest seen by removing the end cap. Also the front sight should be vertical, not canted to line up with other errors.

The other place to inspect is the mag well. It should hold the mag without excess fore-aft or play - there will be some.
It's difficult to put the charging handle into the locked position. Could this be a result of the cocking tube being welded onto the receiver slightly angled?

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's difficult to put the charging handle into the locked position. Could this be a result of the cocking tube being welded onto the receiver slightly angled?
check the alignment of the cocking tube relative to the receiver.Ive seen misaligned tubes thats canted causing the support to fit the carrier crooked when locking back. It usually creates weird wear marks where the tube support meets the carrier. Also possible gap issue between carrier/tube support, MKE’s were known to have this issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
check the alignment of the cocking tube relative to the receiver.Ive seen misaligned tubes thats canted causing the support to fit the carrier crooked when locking back. It usually creates weird wear marks where the tube support meets the carrier. Also possible gap issue between carrier/tube support, MKE’s were known to have this issue.
Looking straight down the cocking tube, it appears canted upwards relative to the receiver. It is difficult to capture it on camera but is visible to the eye.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Yep I don’t get it
These builders make people wait forever
They do every build one off
No jigs
No fixtures
Poor welding
It’s a cave man world

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm sorry... I would be extremely disappointed with the weld on the shelf. Hopefully it is something that was overlooked or missed... or even obscured by someone being trained but what you are seeing is a lot of grinding that had to be done post weld, there are a couple of pin holes from dipping, a point where a ton of heat was awkwardly blasted into the base metal... just generally awkward filler and tungsten control contributed to a messy weld that has been ground down to look better... which is acceptable if you are training someone, it's less acceptable to see post quality control because you could rework that weld to be more aesthetically appropriate and more functionally uniform.

Not writing anyone off... because this is more a matter of opinion and preference. It could be perfectly functional...but I would hope for more.

For the sight base... it does look a bit off... hard to say for sure. Believe it or not, I am less picky with the base if I can dial the sights in to shoot straight but when combined with the denial shelf, I would probably take a harder look at the sights.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep I don’t get it
These builders make people wait forever
They do every build one off
No jigs
No fixtures
Poor welding
It’s a cave man world
Is this common across the board for anyone that isn't HK?
I'm sorry... I would be extremely disappointed with the weld on the shelf. Hopefully it is something that was overlooked or missed... or even obscured by someone being trained but what you are seeing is a lot of grinding that had to be done post weld, there are a couple of pin holes from dipping, a point where a ton of heat was awkwardly blasted into the base metal... just generally awkward filler and tungsten control contributed to a messy weld that has been ground down to look better... which is acceptable if you are training someone, it's less acceptable to see post quality control because you could rework that weld to be more aesthetically appropriate and more functionally uniform.

Not writing anyone off... because this is more a matter of opinion and preference. It could be perfectly functional...but I would hope for more.

For the sight base... it does look a bit off... hard to say for sure. Believe it or not, I am less picky with the base if I can dial the sights in to shoot straight but when combined with the denial shelf, I would probably take a harder look at the sights.
the welds are very ugly throughout the gun. It's a total bummer to spend so much on "custom." It shows the lack of care given in QC. I believe in constant improvement, but that does not excuse sending out duds initially.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hard to see the alignment, but that weld is not the least bit attractive. Am I to understand that’s a $2500+ gun? Sending positive vibes that it all works out in the end.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hard to see the alignment, but that weld is not the least bit attractive. Am I to understand that’s a $2500+ gun? Sending positive vibes that it all works out in the end.
Hahaha I appreciate the vibes. Yes you are correct.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Sorry but this fabricator is terrible. And I know a ton more about screw ups and nonsense with them than is really acceptable.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm trying to be forgiving and understanding because I have had good conversations with Will... although he dropped the ball on a couple of exchanges I was having with him.

The reality is that the weld I can see is really poorly executed and poorly worked to correct. Very disappointing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm trying to be forgiving and understanding because I have had good conversations with Will... although he dropped the ball on a couple of exchanges I was having with him.

The reality is that the weld I can see is really poorly executed and poorly worked to correct. Very disappointing.
Me too man. I agree.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Reference pictures. DT Shelf; DT sight; SP5 shelf. Rear sight is difficult to tell from the angle the OP posted but I tried to match it.
DT is a fair comparison (core classic) price-wise but maybe not lead-time wise today.
My mod on the rear sight drum for red-dot use.

Light Camera accessory Auto part Gas Metal
Camera lens Reflex camera Camera accessory Wood Lens
Automotive tire Bicycle part Material property Rim Bumper

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Vendor
151 Posts
Fairly new to the MP5 realm. I have a clone that I brought up in a previous post. Sending it back to the manufacturer for issues and am noticing that certain parts seem to be crookedly welded on, like the shelf and the rear sight base. I'm very familiar with the AK platform and it's common for certain parts to be canted, but tolerances are relatively loose for AKs. Is it common amongst the MP5 platform?
Edit: the cocking tube is also angled upward slightly, it is not perfectly parallel with the barrel or in line with the receiver. Using a caliper for all of this. View attachment 303432 View attachment 303433
Please check your inbox. I emailed you 2 days ago regarding your original post. We will get this fixed and that's why we've got a satisfaction guarantee.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts