HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been carring a XD 4" 9 mm in a crossbread hoster (supertuck from crossbread.com) for about 8 months. The holster is very comfortable and gun retension and concealablity has been excellent. Workmanship is ok...not overwhelming...but acceptable. I bought the upgrade leather with decorative stiching as well. My biggest problem is I am unable to get a good fireing grip on the pistol because the extra leather and the relationship to the kidex prevented it . It require putting my thumb behind the entire leather holster and pull it out before establishing a proper fireing grip. It really slowed down presentation and risked poor grip upon firing...ok perhaps a big issue. It eventually required me to cut and dremmel the excess leather from around the grip. It is more functional now but it is not clearly as pretty as it should be and for the money I just shouldn't have to make those alterations. From what I recall it took about 7 or 8 weeks in the $70-$80 range.

Recently purchased a USPf 9 mm and needed a IWB tuckable holster. After seeing alot of good reviews (saw alot for the crossbreed as well at the time) I took a chance on the MTAC fro Comp-tac. I ordered it on wednesday and it arrived sat (3 business days!!!). Over all quality is substantially better than the crossbreed. The quality of the leather and the workmanship also see significantly better. It is even more comfortable than the crossbreed and gun retention seems just as good. Best of all is I absolutely can get a full and complete firing grip prior to pulling the gun out of the holster. In my personal opinion, for the money, its a no brainer which I would choose again.

I suppose there could be a difference in the 2 guns, or perhaps changes to the crossbreed over time, but to be honest I just dont think so. For an extra $30 I can get a spare XD kidex to place on the MTAC as well.

YMMV

·
Registered
73 Posts
My biggest problem is I am unable to get a good fireing grip on the pistol because the extra leather and the relationship to the kidex prevented it . It require putting my thumb behind the entire leather holster and pull it out before establishing a proper fireing grip. It really slowed down presentation and risked poor grip upon firing...ok perhaps a big issue.
Hi! Thanks for posting your experiences. I am very curious about the MTAC.

I have a Crossbreed Supertuck for my P7 PSP. I ordered the "LEO trim" option, which is a cut-away of the leather where your thumb would go. It helps to get a firing grip prior to draw, and addresses the problem you mention. It's worth talking to the owner about what you need to optimize the holster... He seems like a really straightforward guy who wants to provide good value.

The Supertuck is very thin indeed, and I think that contributes to the overall sense of solidity and workmanship (ie. not as beefy as, say, a CTAC or Texas Heritage).

All that said, I am still searching for the right holster... No IWB seems to match the convenience of the SmartCarry yet. The MTAC looks like a really great design, though.

Best,
Dave

·
Registered
25 Posts
My concern for the hybrid holsters is what leather is touching the other side of your slide? Since Leather tends to wear on finish faster than kydex, one could hypothesize that the leather side of the slide will wear first and faster... Anyone have experience like this with a hybrid holster?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts