HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice from all you SL8 owners out there.

I recently purchased an unfired SL8-1 from a collector in California. The rifle shipped fully insured (Thank God) and in its original box.

UPS seems to have once again hired Ace Ventura for a package delivery as when the rifle arrived at the FFL dealer handling the transfer for me it of course arrived damaged. Nothing like waiting for you new baby to arrive and this happens

The front sight on the rifle arrived fully crushed and I'm concerned what other damage might have occurred? The rifle otherwise seems intact but I would surely appreciate some advice from the HK experts about what I can tell the gunsmith to check out about getting the rifle brought back up to factory spec.

From what I understand these rifles are accurized to shoot out to 200 yrds?

I bought the rifle for $1350 and have been unable to find a replacement.

Any input would be appreciated.

Regards Henry

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Another reason I HATE UPS. I shipped a Scar 16S and Scar 17S in one box. When it arrived, both receivers were crushed right in the middle. That was $5,000 down the drain. The box I believe had literally been run over by a truck.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I spent almost 13 years at UPS. The stories I could tell...

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
See how much UPS pays when you done. My favorite was received a damaged $30K piece for test equipment at work years ago (back when that was the cost of a BMW ;-) and it was received DOA from being dropped. The finial outcome was a check for $500 from the shipper and the company send another one, which was also received DOA and again the shipper paid $500. The third try the sales agent drove the 4 hours and dropped off the unit. Packaging was good enough to get from Japan to the US but not the last several hundred miles .....

My question is Fed Ex any better (not being a FFL/SOT I can't ship by USPS Registered Mail for sub-guns and hand guns)

·
Registered
619 Posts
I hear you Devildog...I did 11 years with Brown. We should pull notes and write a book!
Sorry about the drama Henry...hope it works out quickly!

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
See how much UPS pays when you done. My favorite was received a damaged $30K piece for test equipment at work years ago (back when that was the cost of a BMW ;-) and it was received DOA from being dropped. The finial outcome was a check for $500 from the shipper and the company send another one, which was also received DOA and again the shipper paid $500. The third try the sales agent drove the 4 hours and dropped off the unit. Packaging was good enough to get from Japan to the US but not the last several hundred miles .....

My question is Fed Ex any better (not being a FFL/SOT I can't ship by USPS Registered Mail for sub-guns and hand guns)
I always prefer Fedex, but mainly because if I miss the delivery I can have it held at any Fedex store I want and go get it. With UPS, they only take them out to their hub which is 30 minutes away. But I've never had anything damaged by Fedex, I'm sure others have.

·
Registered
207 Posts
That is truly a sad story. I hope things get sorted out quickly and to your satisfaction.

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
I don't think there is a difference between FedEx or UPS.
FedEx up here in Maine sucks. It also depends on what driver you have.

When I got my Glock 18 the FedEx driver looked for the package and told me that according to his computer he should have the package but it must be still at the station. I of cause raised hell and got all the typical answers "You need to wait for a day, it properly will turn up".
I love it when CS tells me what I have to do!!
So I called my field agent at the ATF and told her that a machine gun was missing at FedEx!
She sure was not amused either!
Took her 25 minutes to have the FedEx manager to call me, telling me he personally was on the way with my package!
My guess, if I would have waited as told by FedEx, I would have lost the gun!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I had fed ex deliver two boxes, one of primers, and one of powder for reloading that had both been crushed. Crushing primers with anything but a firing pin is bad juju. They also left them outside on my doorstep for about 8 hours even though it required an adult signature and the boxes had giant "warning: explosives" stickers on them with kids running around the neighborhood. Granted, I've had almost as bad experiences with UPS. The easiest way to get it fixed is to call the local hub and complain to the manager and actually tell them what it was they screwed up, I got a new driver after I told the manager lady that the driver crushed and then just left explosives on my doorstep, she freaked out.

·
Registered
120 Posts
WOW! So sorry to hear that. I can't offer any professional advice as I'm not too knowledgeable on the SL8-1 but I definitely feel your pain!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok after a long wait! A really long wait I finally got the SL8 repaired and sent back to me. Took it to the range today and it shoots like butter. Shot 4 MOA with iron sights.
This thing is awesome!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Glad to hear you got it fixed. Who ended up footing the bill?

Personal curiosity, what range did you get the 4moa at?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
4 Moa at 25 yards

Thanks to tropic storm Beryl I got stuck at the indoor range on Sunday a the outdoor was closed for weather related issues. Shooting 1" groups with this rifle at 25 yards is no problem. I'm not an expert shot by any stretch but what I noticed about the rifle is that when you fired it, it barely moves off target from the recoil. My NPOA was barely affected after the shot.

UPS was kind enough to buy me a new gunsight and have it installed by a gunsmith.

·
Registered
765 Posts
That weather problem is indeed a pain. You really need to stretch out the range. I'm not a fan of using 25yd "scale" targets for anything but getting the sights close enough for longer range. I would be willing to bet that you'll actually get better results at 100yds.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts