HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious why people buy, or hk even offer the Usp in 9mm or 357sig. I can understand a 40 because that's what the gun was built off of originally. It's a fairly large gun, and the .45 is the perfect caliber for the gun. Just seems weird to me.

The only reason I can think, is people love the bitchen look of the Usp, buy can or only want to afford cheaper 9mm ammo. And that in my opinion is goofy and lame, like people shooting .38s in their .357. I guess I'm somewhat of a purist and these kind of things really bug me. I think Usp should stick with .40/.45

Tell me your opinions,

·
Registered
281 Posts
Its also the standard issue sidearm for the Bundeswehr, known as the P8 for them.

·
Banned
188 Posts
Because 9mm is NATO standard. You have increased capacity and contrary to what some goofy old anachronisms on here will tell you, .45 ACP sucks just as much as the other popular service calibers. .40 is an answer to a question no one asked and dumbass pd's are what keep it in existence. It's a gayified 10mm (which HK should offer as a chambering ;) )Point is, use modern ammunition and shoot well.

·
Premium Member
5,016 Posts
I'm curious why people buy, or hk even offer the Usp in 9mm or 357sig. I can understand a 40 because that's what the gun was built off of originally. It's a fairly large gun, and the .45 is the perfect caliber for the gun. Just seems weird to me.

The only reason I can think, is people love the bitchen look of the Usp, buy can or only want to afford cheaper 9mm ammo. And that in my opinion is goofy and lame, like people shooting .38s in their .357. I guess I'm somewhat of a purist and these kind of things really bug me. I think Usp should stick with .40/.45

Tell me your opinions,
Making zero sense. They've only been out ~16 years, why ask now?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts

Tell me your opinions,
Simply to confound you. That's the only reason.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Because HK knows that the 9mm is an extremely popular round both in the US and around the world. The question would be why wouldn't HK offer all pistols in the 9mm caliber?

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
I love my all my USPs, including the 9s. My first USP was a .45, and I use a .45 Tactical setup as a nightstand gun. I use a .40 for competition. I put together a 10mm, well, just because. I practice with all of them, but mostly with the 9s because they are less expensive, and with the lower recoil I can pay more attention to the fundamentals. I also introduce a lot of new shooters to our world with a standard fullsize USP 9mm. It's accurate, easy to manipulate, and again, low on recoil. For me, each caliber serves a purpose, and I appreciate each for what it does well.

·
Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
1,023 Posts
why?

because

a) 9mm is NATO standard (heck, even the russian military use nowadays a modified (very hot) 9mm round)
b) it combines great capacity with good ballistics
c) there's plenty of modern 9mm ammo which is excellent for SD (winchester T-series 147gr is my favorite)
d) it's affordable for the range and there is only little recoil

although: 9mm is by far the easiest ammo to find and the de facto world wide standard. in a SHTF scenario kinda important....

that being said, i do enjoy my HK45 and shooting a classic 1911. I agree that a 1911 has more stopping power than a 9mm Luger, HOWEVER my HK45 holds 10 rounds while my SigSauer P226 holds up to 18 rounds (both in comparable size). the question is: what are you more comfortable with? i for my part rather have 18 rounds of 9mm in the mag than 10 rounds of .45 ACP....

p.s. and yes, the USP in 9mm is the standard sidearm of the German Army (Bundeswehr)

·
Registered
1997 USP 9mm Full Size, too many upgrades to list.
610 Posts
I bought my USP in 9mm because I planned to shoot it, a LOT. The first year I had it I easily put 3000 bullets through paper, OK maybe not ALL 3000 rounds were on paper, but I fired all of them through the gun nonetheless.

Doing the same in .40 or .45 would have been cost prohibitive back in 1998, today it would mean I could not afford to shoot as regularly as I do. I have other guns in both .40 and .45, they get fired every couple of months, the HK gets fired every month.

-Sean

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hk only offered the usp in .45 for the american market, the rest of the world seems happy with the 9mm 40 and 357 sig(which is a tremendous round btw). Americas choice of issue for many, many years, the 1911, has ingrained in american hearts and minds that a .45 is the only decent caliber... Hk saw that market opportunity and boom! The usp45 was born. I personally love the .45, but have purchased a P30 in 9mm as my edc weapon, mainly because of capacity, and because all my reloading supplies are aimed at 9mm...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
Why? Because the .45 is an American round that is looked at with disdain outside the US. 9mm is THE caliber for most handguns in Europe.

Purist? :LOL: It's a caliber of a handgun round.

My opinion is there is good reason parents set bed times.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Weird thread.

I think it would be exceedingly strange if HK did not offer the USP in 9mm.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Considering how many 9mm USPs have been manufactured and sold I think it's safe to say that the proof is in the pudding. I think it would be weird for a manufacturer to not offer a full sized pistol in what is arguably the most popular pistol caliber on the planet. Demand drives development.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can not imagine hot having my USP in 9mm. I have had quite a few of the 45 model, but the 9mm has never left me. I always find the old 9mm vs 40 argument quite funny. I have worked a side job in a gun store for years, and this comes up daily. When I first started shooting, I bought a 40 cal because that is what the police were carrying. Now that I know better, I use 9mm and 45 :wink:. The truth is, they are all excellent calibers. The modern 9mm round, with a good +p loading, can hit ballistics that is growing ever closer to the 40 cal. Now though, I find myself wanting a 40 cal USPF. Does it really matter, I mean who cares. If you like it, shoot it, get good with it, and enjoy it. The USP is an excellent gun in any caliber it is made in.

Adam

·
Registered
85 Posts
The USP series is still a viable service arm. A plus for me is it has a barrel of at least 4" and has a shorter trigger reset than my P-30.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Because some people, organizations, units, or what have you, prefer 9mm for a plethora of reasons.

Simply because you don't, is an absurd reason for it not to exist in a particular platform. I find your application of the word 'purist' in this regard to be quite absurd as well.

And having the ability/option to shoot multiple calibers out of the same firearm, as with your 38/357 comment, is goofy and lame?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know what a 9mm can do, but why buy a Usp in 9mm. Hk offers other great and bitchen guns in 9mm which I think are much more suited for. A tiny bullet in a fairly large gun, which is designed with a very good recoil system ment to help with the larger rounds. To me I feel its exactly like a 1911 in any other caliber then .45. Id love to see the p2000sk in .45 but it dont and I'm fine with it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts