HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the current thoughts on the currentlly made PTR's in 308?

Is there still a difference in the number of flutes between the Military model and the other models?
Have the reliability issues been solved.

What sort of accuracy are you guys getting?

I reciently was contacted by an old friend of mine that just ordered some of each and he is going to report back to me how well they shoot.

Since he knew I was an H&K user he reached out to me for some info, after he had already ordered the PTR's.

So What is the current "skinny" on these rifles.

I will admit, even I have thought about getting one, to use as a "truck gun" something to carry in the vehicle 100% of the time, so that IF it was stolen i would not loose a "real 91"...

But if it does not work 100% it is of no use to me... Or my other H&K 91 buddies.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've got an AW8***** series manufactured in March of 2011. Shoots anything I put it in (I haven't and won't shoot tar sealed ammo in this rifle or any other firearm I own) including Tula, Brown Bear, Silver Bear, PPU, Federal, MEN and DAG. I even tried mixing brands in a couple magazines and it went bang every time I pulled the trigger.

Accuracy is good enough for me, I use mine as a patrol rifle on duty so a head shot at 100 yards is all I'm looking for. I'm not worried about sub 1 minute accuracy. If I was I'd buy a bolt action rifle. Since I bought the PTR91 (K model), my AR15 has been a safe queen. No regrets on my part making the purchase, I'm happy with fit, finish and function. Zero malfunctions to date with well over a thousand rounds through it. The last time I qualified with it I had officers next to me carrying B^*#master AR15s having FTF, FTE and all kinds of other problems in the sandy environment we were training in. The PTR was like the energizer bunny, it kept going and going.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I could not agree more with SCOUTMASTER,these rifles are very reliable and accurate.I have 2 JLD 91k,s and they like all surplus,but I don,t shoot the TAR sealed stuff anyway,no steel cased crap either. The heavier profiled barrels shoot much tighter and don,t heat up as fast to spread groups. I target shoot and love these rifles. Good choice,just my opinion either way.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
If you're shooting PPU and DAG, you're shooting tar sealed.
He was saying he does NOT shoot PPu or DAG. I shoot, PORt,igman, S&b,hirtenberger,lithuanian,australian,santa barbara, FN and bvac 150gr reloads from CTD,TAP155gr is awesome in these barrels. Australian and hirtenberger are very accurate,the Port is right there to.. I shoot the PORT mostly and save my higher end surplus for later. LOL

·
Registered
416 Posts
FN is tar sealed, too. :) The new guns shoot everything. I've got a GI that went back for cracked trunnion, an AW837x, and two AW5xxx, one of which has an RCM barrel.

Only the one remaining shallow flute gun has any issues, but it is sub-MOA, so I didn't have the heart to rebarrel it.

The others all shoot everything, INCLUDING DAG, SA, FN, Wolf, Tula, Radway, Port, PPU, muddy sticks, hot dogs, and bottle caps. No shrinking gaps, no FTF, FTE, or FT anything.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info.

But answer me this, why would DAG and MEN, German ammo, not be suitable for a H&K 91? That is German ammo, and was it not made for the G3?

I have shot thousands of DAG and MEN rounds circa 1967, in H&K's, as well as FN's M1-A's and bolt rifles with no problems.

Why is this newer DAG causing problems???

·
Registered
416 Posts
DAG is tar sealed. The shallow flutes of the mid # AW prefixes couldn't hack it. All GIs, and AWs over 8000, plus pretty much all the A guns like it just fine, just like real HKs.

There should be no disdain for tar sealed ammo, and a proper rifle shouldn't care about it. Heck...Lake City--even M852 match--was tar sealed until not long ago, as were/are a lot of NATO spec rounds.

Don't hate on tar. Hate shallow flutes.

Besides... A nice coat of tar in the action prevents corrosion. :)

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
What are the current thoughts on the currentlly made PTR's in 308?

So What is the current "skinny" on these rifles.
While PTR seems to have worked out their chamber problems, they ran out of surplus bolts, & carriers. They are now making these parts in house. Now when JLD bought the contents of the factory in Portugal, they got the machinery, & plans to make all the parts, including the bolts & carriers. However, there have been owners who have had bolts that broke. Maybe the heat treating was not properly applied. So until a few years passes with thousands of US made bolts lasting thousands of rounds, we won't know. Over the years, I have accumulated several sets of bolt carrier groups. HK/HK, FMP/FMP, POF/POF, & Rheinmetal/POF. I use them all in my gun, & they all work great. Headspacing on all 4 sets is .018". Believe it or not, the POF/POF looks the nicest. But these are all contractors of HK, & are proven. Until these bolt carrier groups that are made in Ct are proven over time & use, I wouldn't trust them. GARY N4KVE

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Thanks for all the info.

But answer me this, why would DAG and MEN, German ammo, not be suitable for a H&K 91? That is German ammo, and was it not made for the G3?

I have shot thousands of DAG and MEN rounds circa 1967, in H&K's, as well as FN's M1-A's and bolt rifles with no problems.

Why is this newer DAG causing problems???

All of that nasty Tar Sealed NATO stuff shoots just fine in a real G3 or HK91 German rifle. the PTR is a American HK Clone product and they changed Specs in the Chamber, that's why it won't (sometimes) shoot tar sealed ammo.

Don't know what you mean about newer DAG, AFAIK it's all 90's production that is being sold in the battle packs now. (last 2 or 3 years)

HDH.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Everything coming off the line right now has correct flutes and chamber to handle all the tar sealed stuff. Wish they'd have left well enough alone on chamber specs when they started with the TC barrels on the early AW guns, and my life would have been much less stressful sorting the shallow flute mess out. That, and my post count would be about 10. :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All the DAG and MEN ammo I have shot is from the late 1960's, that is why I call the 90's ammo "newer stuff".

This ammo from the late 60's is the some of the best surplus 308 ammo I have ever shot.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
While PTR seems to have worked out their chamber problems, they ran out of surplus bolts, & carriers. They are now making these parts in house. Now when JLD bought the contents of the factory in Portugal, they got the machinery, & plans to make all the parts, including the bolts & carriers. However, there have been owners who have had bolts that broke. Maybe the heat treating was not properly applied. So until a few years passes with thousands of US made bolts lasting thousands of rounds, we won't know. Over the years, I have accumulated several sets of bolt carrier groups. HK/HK, FMP/FMP, POF/POF, & Rheinmetal/POF. I use them all in my gun, & they all work great. Headspacing on all 4 sets is .018". Believe it or not, the POF/POF looks the nicest. But these are all contractors of HK, & are proven. Until these bolt carrier groups that are made in Ct are proven over time & use, I wouldn't trust them. GARY N4KVE
So would you feel comfortable with just a replacement bolt, and rollers in a new PTR or do you think it necessary to replace the carrier too?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gentlemen, here is the reason for my questions regarding the PTR 91's.

I would like to have a 91 for a carry in the vehicle rifle [legal where I live] 100% of the time. I just hate to risk a "real" H&K 91 to theft.

I have a lot of trigger time, and confidence with H&K rifles as I have hunted with them, shot them in combat rifle matches and used them as work guns.

Also I would like to support a US Company that is keeping the H&K system "alive".

BUT the rifle MUST run 1001%, 1001% of the time.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My buddy that bought the PTR's had 2 of them arrive today. One was the Military Model, the other the "Sniper" version.

He said they both looked very good. He also stated the triggers were very nice, a lot lighter/smoother than the real H&K he had in the past.

Once he had a chance to shoot them he is going to give me a call.

He also ordered a few of the Hendsold 4x scopes on my recomendation.
He has several different kinds of 308/7.62mm ammo so I expect an invormative report.

Also he did say he liked the aluminium forend that PTR uses...

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you're shooting PPU and DAG, you're shooting tar sealed.
I didn't know PPU and DAG were tar sealed. Is the new manufacture PPU tar sealed too? I guess I need to retract my statement that I don't shoot tar sealed! I do shoot the steel case Russian ammo and it fires and feeds without a hiccup. Tried a few hundred rounds of Herter's steel case that I got on sale at Cabela's too. Other than being extremely dirty ammo I didn't have any problems.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The brand new PPU ball is tar sealed. DAG always has been. FN, SA, Lake City, Radway, Win White Box, et. al., too. Tar sealed isn't such a bad thing--which is why it was such a big deal for me to have the PTRs handle it.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
So would you feel comfortable with just a replacement bolt, and rollers in a new PTR or do you think it necessary to replace the carrier too?
Again, there is not enough data out there on the US parts for me to form a decision. If you haven't purchased a gun yet, I'd look for a JLD built gun. If you have a new GI gun, I'd go to RTG & look for a foreign BCG.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts