HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this great tutorial thread on AR-15.com and I couldn't resist on building one. Heres the link to the thread.
Cutting Gun Case Foam (lots of photos) - Page 1 - AR15.COM

This was the first attempt using a utility knife using that Pluck and Chuck Foam that comes standard with Pelican Cases.

It didn't turn out the way I wanted it, cutting the foam with the knife made uneven cuts and just didn't hold the lines right.

So here is my sunday project that took around 2 hours and about $30 of my hard earned money.

I'm currently waiting for my Ni-Chrome Wire to come in the mail, also my foam that I ordered. I ended up going with closed cell Polyethylene Foam. My end goal is something that looks like this.

Not Mine

The Pelican 1550 is perfect for double stacking guns like this, its very deep!

Also depending how this project turns out, I'm looking into doing this for some side cash, do you think there is a market out there for this?

What do you think?

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,319 Posts
Definitely a great way to provide protection to your HKs. I've posted these shots before, but they show a few of the cases I have for mine. Would recommend upgrading from the factory foam, as the Pick and Pluck does not hold up well over time and will hold moisture.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW...that looks amazing and yes that open cell foam that comes standard is a rust risk for long term storage. Closed Cell foams are really the only way to go. My P30L case that came from H&K is closed cell Polyethylene Foam.

·
Registered
18,640 Posts
Definitely a good source of side cash. I'd pay some $$$ to have someone custom-cut a case to store my HK toys.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
I have access to a CNC foam cutter that I use to cut all my cases. I have thought about doing this on the side but do not really have the time. I may have to look into getting someone to run the machine and I take the orders. This is done with a laser I believe that you program the dimensions that you want cut and presto you have a perfect fit. We have used the machine to cut anything from foam for my gun cases to foam boat bodies that the metal hull sets around. It is very neat.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I have access to a CNC foam cutter that I use to cut all my cases. I have thought about doing this on the side but do not really have the time. I may have to look into getting someone to run the machine and I take the orders. This is done with a laser I believe that you program the dimensions that you want cut and presto you have a perfect fit. We have used the machine to cut anything from foam for my gun cases to foam boat bodies that the metal hull sets around. It is very neat.
That would be really cool! I'd love to store my hk91 in a pelican with custom fitted closed foam with accessories, etc. Give me a heads up if you ever get around to taking a few orders.

·
Registered
18,640 Posts
Count me in if you ever decide to take orders. I'd prefer laser cut over wire cut, but either one is still better than my roughed hand-cut foam. :wink:

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Here is the machine that they use. It is huge and can cut some amazing stuff. They also have a Frog foam cutter?? Not sure if that is the technical name or not, it uses drill bits to shape the foam along with other tooling options.
To be completely honest you can not tell the difference between laser cut and wire cut if done correctly. They have both laser and wire cutters and it is virtually impossible to tell the differences unless you are watching it being done. That being said a CNC machine is a much more precise machine then a home built wire cutter. I have re done all the PSG1 cases due to the foam that HK used was not that great over time. I have custom cases for everything, from my watches to anything that has value to me. I even had them make a custom one for the HK challenge coins so that they will not get scratched. I have to add another layer now to make room for the addition I just picked up.

If I decide to do something like this I will post it here. What would be a fair price if I provided the foam?

HSE100 Specifications

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
If I decide to do something like this I will post it here. What would be a fair price if I provided the foam?

HSE100 Specifications
Hard to say what a fair price would be. I would look at it from a few perspectives. 1) You have access to a CNC machine that does precision work unlike some of us. 2) How much is your time worth? 3) And then of course the skill level that others may not have.

The other thing to consider is every case will probably vary a bit...case size, how many guns, accessories, etc. Perhaps charging x amount of dollars per item in a case would be a good starting point. How long does it take to set up the CNC machine and once it's calibrated, can you save it so that it doesn't need to be calibrated again? That way, you're not having to re-calibrate every time someone puts in an order of a common item.

This could be really cool and probably fairly profitable if your machine is capable of saving the calibrations. Once set up, you could really pump them out if there's a demand for it.

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Hard to say what a fair price would be. I would look at it from a few perspectives. 1) You have access to a CNC machine that does precision work unlike some of us. 2) How much is your time worth? 3) And then of course the skill level that others may not have.

The other thing to consider is every case will probably vary a bit...case size, how many guns, accessories, etc. Perhaps charging x amount of dollars per item in a case would be a good starting point. How long does it take to set up the CNC machine and once it's calibrated, can you save it so that it doesn't need to be calibrated again? That way, you're not having to re-calibrate every time someone puts in an order of a common item.

This could be really cool and probably fairly profitable if your machine is capable of saving the calibrations. Once set up, you could really pump them out if there's a demand for it.

Good luck and keep us posted!
It can save dimensions of items. The problem is that if I have the measurements of for instance a MP5A2 with fixed stock and you place a order for a A2 with surefire forend. Now I either have to modify the measurements of the A2 with the 628 and if I am off a hair yours will not fit or I can get you to trace your weapons on white cardstock paper for every item you want, scan those pieces of paper and then send them to cut. Think of all the different possibilities on modifications of a G36C or a USP. Sight hight, threaded barrel, bobbed hammer, C hammer, surefire rail mount, GG&G rail mount, X300, X200, X400, TLR series, if you want it to be in a holster, is it Magpul cut, what cant? That is just the USP, now you have P9/S/Combat, then the P7.

Way to much time to convert everyones measurements or modify one, also how would I know that you measured correctly if I as for the distance from cocked hammer to end of slide or barrel? Once again having the customer trace the items they want and provide a photo of how they want the layout would be so so so much easier.

·
Registered
18,640 Posts
Once again having the customer trace the items they want and provide a photo of how they want the layout would be so so so much easier.
I'd think that would be the way to go, as we all have different configurations and possibilities.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Ni-Chrome arrived today so I took some of my botched Pick and Pluck foam and had alittle fun. I can not believe how easy this thing is

A little more practice and on to my pelican case

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Your'e right...there really are quite too many variables. Although, it wouldn't hurt to save some of these models as you put them together. You would have a nice inventory of different applications and you never know when something similar would be asked of you again. Ex: a single gun case consisting of an Hk P30L V3 with Surefire x300 and two mags. If you could save it and it didn't require much effort or suffocate the software, may be useful in the future.

But I agree, the tracing would be a great start and be the simplest way to assure accuracy.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
After looking into this, the charge for CNC work is $65 per hour of work this includes the time it takes to actually cut the foam and do the CNC program work up. Avg work time would be anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours or so depending upon how many guns that would have to be worked in.

That price is not including the foam either so I believe $130 + foam + shipping would be a bit to much for most people. The next problem is how would you ship the foam? If using a large case the foam would be huge and awkward to ship. If you rolled it up you run the risk of splitting the foam or distorting the cutouts. If you leave it flat then the larger cases such as the big Pelicans would be very costly to ship.

Here is what I am thinking, it would be more cost efficient to cut in lots IE must have 10 + peoples orders in before we would run the batch to cut down on individual work time and costs. If anyone has a recommendation on how to ship these things I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,319 Posts
My local Pelican distributer uses his company router to make my case inserts. He charges on size/difficulty level and if memory serves me my bill for pistol size cases were about $35 and the smg/rifle cases were around $80. Of course I bought my Pelican cases from him too and it helps that I can walk into his shop with my weapons and gear for exact fitting. If anyone is in the Raleigh, NC area, I'll be happy to point you his way.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Is this price wiith him supplying foam or using the foam that comes with the cases?

·
Teufelshund Tactical
7,319 Posts
Those prices were with the custom foam that you see in the pictures listed previously in this post. They are solid and repel moisture; very nice.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts