HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm not new to the site, but I just registered finally. I am wanting to get a ported match barrel for my USP45c. I was looking at EFK barrels (www.HKperfection.com), but don't know anything about them. Anyone have experience with them?

It's going to be my target gun and I just want a ported barrel for recoil reduction. If you can recommend any barrels for this that would be great.

Thanks guys,

Josh

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have no experience with EFK, but the consensus of the forum seems to lean towards factory if possible and if not, then Jarvis is the next best option.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What barrels are ported from HK? Do they sell barrels from the factory that are ported for the USP?

Josh

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have seen a few USP's that have had ported stainless barrels. Never knew where the guys got them, but the only aftermarket ported match barrels that I have found are the EFK ones.

Josh

·
Registered
851 Posts
Ah sorry, got a little ahead of myself. There are no ported barrels from HK. Jarvis could make you a match length barrel, but I'm not sure if porting is offered on any of their barrels.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those Jarvis barrels DO seem like a well built barrel, and a very reputible company. I just got through reading some reviews of the EFK barrels though, and think I might give them a try. Seems many people are having good success with them, and for a good price.

When I get it, I will give you all a range report

Thanks for your help!

Josh

·
Registered
434 Posts
So how effective would porting be on an HK in 40? What about cutting out the top of the slide, one to reduce weight and 2 to assist with cooling the barrel, much like the glock C models?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
So how evective would proting be on an HK in 40? What about cutting out the top of the slide, one to reduce weight and 2 to assit with cooling the barrel, much like the glock C models?
Well, i would say porting (with a .40) would take a good piece of the muzzle rise out, but with all standard pistol calibers, its not gonna turn the gun into a zero muzzle rise race gun instantly :p .

Of course, like i said, it will probably take a nice chunk of the muzzle rise out.

There have been a few guys that have gotten their slides machined for various reasons... Front slide serrations, and one guy here (i forget his name) that had quarter or 3/8 inch cuts made in his slide. (they were the same angle as the slide serrations) Im not sure how it would effect the slides integrity, but it HAS been done.
]
It would be something to talk to an experianced gunsmith about!

·
Registered
279 Posts
USP Porting

I have a USP .45C and a USP .45 EXPERT ported by MagnaPort. I sent them the slide and barrel, they ported them both. They work great. They were less than $150.00 each including insured shipping both ways. Took less than 2 weeks door to door. If I am not mistaken, this is the company that invented the process. They tamed my .44 AUTOMAG.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'll try to post some pics this weekend. I've got to figure that process out sooner or later. Results: On my 44 AUTOMAG (Sudden Impact, Beverly Hills CopII: Cut the neck off of a .308 and put a .44 bullet in the case!)the muzzle rise was so bad, nobody could stop it from stove piping (240g at 2200fps or more). The gun would end up at 45 degrees in the air. After porting, I can shoot it with one hand. On the USPs, it make double taps real easy. I'll check it next time at the range, but I don't think the Compact has
1" of rise and the EXPERT is about 1/2". But I would say it is more that my arm comes up a little, I don't think there is any "flip" on the HKs. I have let several people who own Compact 40's and 45s and they all remark that mine is easier to shoot. They may just be stroking me to shoot my machine guns!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Porting a 9, 40, or 45 while shooting regular factory ammo is a waste of money. You would be better off spending that money taking a good shooting class. In standard loads, they simply don't develop enough pressure to effectively utilize the ports.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Porting a 9, 40, or 45 while shooting regular factory ammo is a waste of money. You would be better off spending that money taking a good shooting class. In standard loads, they simply don't develop enough pressure to effectively utilize the ports.
Probably true. But I bet my loads with Power Pistol develop enough. I use those as my defense/ defense training rounds. (not target)

Other than that, yeah, it might be a waste.

Josh

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you carry with +P Corbon .45 or other personal protection ammo, I would imagine that the pressures are significantly higher than soft target ammo. I haven't tried a ported .40 but I would think that porting would take some of the "snappyness" out of it. Glock must think so as they offer a factory 40 that is ported (though I don't like the idea of the flash going up through the sight picture). I agree that porting a 9mm is silly and nothing is better than good training. Of course there is a bigger difference in an AUTOMAG with 50,000 cups than a .45 with a 3 inch barrel. (I have some .44 180g loads at over 3750 fps) These are just brutal on your hand , even with a 52 oz. pistol ( now technically considered an assault something or other). It also takes quite a while to get back on target with a huge load like that which is made to kill with one shot. I wouldn't carry that gun. I will carry a gun that has a heavy enough bullet to have some knock down power which usually has a muzzle energy of 500ft/lbs or more. I will take ANY advantage I can, to stay on target, especially in a gun fight. Just my opinion. here's MagnaPorts:

http://www.magnaport.com/hgun.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts