Votes: 50 23.5%
  • I have one or more of each and have no preference

Votes: 10 4.7%
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m just interested in seeing what’s out there among forum members who currently have hammer fired HKs. Purpose of the poll is not relevant; don’t answer it if you don’t like it.

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,875 Posts
Not going to get into a semantics discussion this early in the week. The premise of your poll ignores the fact that the current, largest selling HK pistol is striker fired. That would lead to the conclusion that your poll is inherently flawed.

Reactions: Jim234

·
Registered
243 Posts
For me personally, and considering striker fired, I am in the DA/SA camp. I shoot striker and they are fine but I much prefer DA/SA and as far as HK specifics go I don’t really care for the VP9. I owned any early VP9 and never felt it lived up to the HK name and feel that there were other better striker offerings on the market. Again personal preference/opinion. I do agree that striker would likely be the lions share or at least a high percentage of your responses if included as it’s brought lots of new folks to HK and let’s face it’s a striker world.

As for LEM I HATE IT! I owned one back in the way back and could never get used to the reset/hammer movement in my peripheral vision. There is nothing mechanically wrong with it and it’s a great middle ground option between hammer and striker but I personally HATE IT.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I like the the da/sa. Most likely because I started with it and now I'm just more familiar with it. I have striker fire as well. Still prefer the DA/SA of the USP.

LEM is not bad either, would like to get. Light Version LEM USP to try more in depth.

Reactions: dpadams6 and NE_HK

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not going to get into a semantics discussion this early in the week. The premise of your poll ignores the fact that the current, largest selling HK pistol is striker fired. That would lead to the conclusion that your poll is inherently flawed.
No. I’m interested in which manual of arms for hammer fired HKs is favored by those who choose to participate in the poll. It would be interesting to hear how many are choosing the striker fired HKs but it’s beyond the scope of what I’m trying to discern here.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I am curious how prevalent LEM is becoming.
Since we're talking about flaws in your poll: LEM is not new, and I know of many people who went with it and quit. Your snapshot poll is not going to give you an answer if it is becoming more prevalent or less. My personal impression is actually the latter.

I have one HK remaining, it is LEM. If I were to get another hammer fired HK, the trigger type would be one of the last considerations.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whatever LOL. I’m just interested in the poll question and your criticisms of the statement about the poll purpose are not really relevant, but I don’t expect you to understand why because it’s not all stated here, and I have my own reasons for that. 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
All HK’s matter 😁. I own LEM, DA/SA and striker. I train with all. I’m more accurate with the striker (slightly) but carry the LEM. My DA/SA are ok and I shoot them well too. Just coming from a striker background I have less experience with them. So the LEM came a bit more “normal” if you will to me.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I own, and have shot, lots of DA/SA and it feels so 'normal' to me at this point that I don't even think about the 'transition between trigger types' that some people make such a big deal out of. That said, HK DA/SAs kind of have their own flavor, and take a little getting used to.

I understand the thinking behind LEM in theory, just never saw that point of it in reality.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Jslow, since you currently shoot several types, have you done any mods to the DA pull of your DA/SA HKs?
I am also curious how you shoot your LEMs. Do you release the trigger fully between each shot or do you just release to the point of reset? Or something else? All my HKs are light LEM but I shoot DA/SA SIGs and CZs.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Hopefully you'll get the answers you seek for the reasons you have.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Off the shelf LEM triggers are simply deliberately crippled in favor of “safety” for indifferently trained institutional users. Quite different than the still-crippled but more usable, fettled “Light LEM” triggers used by (fewer and fewer) enthusiasts.

Ironically, most shooters are not trained well enough to carry the best shooting trigger options- single-action striker of the VP9, or cocked-and-locked SA on worked examples of the USP/P30 series.

But most do.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
@Jslow, since you currently shoot several types, have you done any mods to the DA pull of your DA/SA HKs?
I am also curious how you shoot your LEMs. Do you release the trigger fully between each shot or do you just release to the point of reset? Or something else? All my HKs are light LEM but I shoot DA/SA SIGs and CZs.
I have zero modifications to any of my stock triggers. I learn to shoot them to the best of my ability as they come from the factory. On my LEM’s I release only to the point of reset then pull through for next shot. I do not fully release the trigger. This does take some slow fire drills for a bit to get use to the feel and that’s even from V2-V7-V1 variants. They all are just a bit different depending on the gun, caliber and LEM variant. So... a lot to learn. I obviously spend the most time mastering my main two/three that I have in my carry rotation the most.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I'm mostly a target shooter so I love the SA match pull. That said, I do have a USP with a LEM/match hybrid that is pretty good. I tried "lite LEM" on a P30 and hated it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I carry a VP9 and I really like this pistol. I can draw just just fine but reholstering I need to be sure that my jacket does not catch the trigger. I bought my VP9 back in 2014 and not had any issues.

Before I bought my VP9 I carried my USP 40 and I have a kydex OWB holster and use the safety so I can carry it cocked and locked if I want. I can also drop the hammer down with the safety on as well. I practice so I can draw and disengage the safety when I draw.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My HK45C was DA/SA before I got the bug to try out a heavy LEM. I really, really like it. Matter of factly, I wish more gun companies would make LEM guns. I wonder if HK owns any kind of patents on it?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts