Votes: 50 23.0%
  • I have one or more of each and have no preference

Votes: 10 4.6%
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
...waiting for a VP45 OR.
65 Posts
Lite LEMs on my "Thor's Twins" (HK45T & HK45C) and they are both concentrated awesomeness in a shooter. Looking at a P30 this weekend, but not sure what version it is

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have never been happy with a trigger on a gun, doesn't matter if SA, DA/SA, DAO, striker, etc. Always working and modifying and yes dealing with the downsides of this being balancing reliability (and cost). Until LEM. It is making me question having so many of my SA/DA guns as the LEM is so much easier for me to shoot accurately and efficiently. Yes, I can shoot all of them but not to the same level. My USP Expert of course is not LEM and honestly nothing special for DA/SA. I had a Mk23 for a while, I have no idea why people think that trigger is so special, maybe it was just my gun. I have never handled a Langdon custom Beretta but my M9 has a couple of upgrades and the DA/SA is the best of all guns I have used of this type. None of my DA/SA HK's came even close to smooth/light and it is also reliable. If HK would just finally get on the optics bandwagon I'd be happy to help their sales some more.

JB

·
Registered
...waiting for a VP45 OR.
65 Posts
Totally agree with the dedicated optics' cut on HK's hammered pistols. Falling a bit behind without them.

The only thing I've personally fired as smooth as my Lite LEM'd HK45s is a modified DAK'd out (DAO) Sig P220. I think most have only shot a regular LEM, but the Lite LEM is where it's at IMO...

Reactions: NE_HK

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all. i have a P2000 that is LEM. bought in 2004. i carry it everyday and i really like it. a thing i didn’t like about it was the trigger reset was long IMO. greyguns has a short reset kit that takes this up. i sent mine for the reset action package and it is simply amazing. was difficult to drop 400.00 on that but i’m glad i did.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I like the DA/SA of my P30 and P30L, but I'm a huge fan of and absolutely LOVE the LEM on my P30sk (,y EDC). I personally feel that the DA/SA makes me an overall better shooter of both the LEM and striker-fired pistols as you actually learn trigger control and build in muscle memory. But that's me. <shrugs>

·
Registered
117 Posts
For carry I prefer the LEM.

I prefer a consistent trigger pull but still appreciate the ability to have my thumb over the hammer when holstering.

LEM is a good compromise for me and I can shoot it quick and accurate enough off the reset that I never felt I was giving up a ton compared to a traditional DA/SA or striker.
Pretty much sums it up for me as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I really like the rear decocker on the P30/P2K when there's also a safety, because it separates the safety and decocker without adding another lever sticking out the side for decocking. Wish my HK45c had the manual safety with rear decocker. My 1911 days make me ride the safety too hard sometimes. I've occasionally decocked and/or "disconnected" upon trigger press during competitions.

Regarding the scarcity of lite LEMs from the factory, if HK is just relying on people buying the parts and having their gun upgraded, then I am hosed. The CLEO in my county requires all guns on your permit to be exactly as they left the factory. No trigger work allowed. Upon penalty of losing your CCW. Probably forever. Ironically that's not an issue when traveling and using my out of state permits.

So if HK is listening, it would be really great if HK would make all their variants more available without having to buy parts and send it off for work.

·
Registered
63 Posts
DA/SA for me. In regards strictly to DA/SA with HKs I have found through personal experience that the USP trigger was better for me than others (HK45, P30, P2000). Just my opinion. If your leaning to trying a traditional DA/SA HK I would start with the USP.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hello folks, I like them all, but kind of favor the LEM. My collection is in my signature.

Reactions: NE_HK

·
Banned
151 Posts
After shooting, V1, V2, and V3, my choice is light LEM. Some of it is due to the extra safety afforded by the long trigger pull, some of it is the single trigger pull, some of it is the lack of a need to decock, part of it is the not-so-good DA trigger of the P30, and some of it is the location of the P30 decocking button. I am more likely to need to not pull the trigger than need the speed advantage of the DA/SA trigger. I do find LEM harder to shoot well at speed than DA/SA, but the difference is not significant enough to me to abandon LEM.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
I think my P7 is technically a SA only and not represented in the poll. It is my favorite HK to shoot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have just the traditional DA/SA on my USPs but the SA of the USP is not that bad. I admit the DA first pull is not ideal at all but I also think if you are first starting out on this system the USP is probably the one to start with. The LEM is nice and all but the SA press of the USP is nicer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
clearly LEM is the winner. but I have a DA/SA (never shot a LEM).
Well, it’s not so “clear”, since DA/SA is currently leading in the polling by almost 2:1 over the LEM.

Maybe LEM shooters just feel more need to talk about their choice... 😉

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Well, it’s not so “clear”, since DA/SA is currently leading in the polling by almost 2:1 over the LEM.

Maybe LEM shooters just feel more need to talk about their choice... 😉
If you looked at the poll carefully 94 people prefer DA/SA and 88 LEM at the moment of me typing this.

Answers some questions, right?

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you looked at the poll carefully 94 people prefer DA/SA and 88 LEM at the moment of me typing this.

Answers some questions, right?
Fair point...but that makes it an even split and still not a “clear” answer. 🙂

·
Premium Member
951 Posts

Green/Blue, Blue/Green. You do you. Any Jedi will use the tool that suits them and their needs for the task at hand; hell, Samuel L. Jackson’s saber is purple. A poll should not determine which one would go with because it’s en vogue. I get the question posed, but I put forth buy many of both because 2 is 1, many is more fun and all that jazz. That said, we know where Yoda stands.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Some hard opinion here:

The sole, specific purpose of LEM is to make it harder to have an unintended discharge. It is a threat management tool designed for law enforcement.

The problem with LEM is it makes it harder to produce an INTENDED discharge.

LEM was designed to provide an extra safety margin for less-trained shooters in law enforcement occupations. Law enforcement users may draw and point without the decision to fire being fully committed.

For civilian CCW users who are properly trained, the pistol never comes out unless the decision to shoot has already been reached. In such cases the slower LEM is an impediment to solving the problem at hand.

For law enforcement, where the pistol may be used as a means to secure compliance, LEM is a superb duty/threat management tool, as it provides a margin of safety for those less highly trained (which are unfortunately the vast majority of typical American law enforcement officers in certain large departments).

For civilian CCW, where the pistol comes into play only after the justifiable decision to shoot has been reached, it is an impediment to fast, precise shooting. Especially so, for those less-trained.

For highly trained civilians, LEM has no real purpose or advantage.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Some hard opinion here:

The sole, specific purpose of LEM is to make it harder to have an unintended discharge. It is a threat management tool designed for law enforcement.

The problem with LEM is it makes it harder to produce an INTENDED discharge.

LEM was designed to provide an extra safety margin for less-trained shooters in law enforcement occupations. Law enforcement users may draw and point without the decision to fire being fully committed.

For civilian CCW users who are properly trained, the pistol never comes out unless the decision to shoot has already been reached. In such cases the slower LEM is an impediment to solving the problem at hand.

For law enforcement, where the pistol may be used as a means to secure compliance, LEM is a superb duty/threat management tool, as it provides a margin of safety for those less highly trained (which are unfortunately the vast majority of typical American law enforcement officers in certain large departments).

For civilian CCW, where the pistol comes into play only after the justifiable decision to shoot has been reached, it is an impediment to fast, precise shooting. Especially so, for those less-trained.

For highly trained civilians, LEM has no real purpose or advantage.
A soft opinion here:

DA/SA provides a higher margin of safety on first shot which is the most important shot from a threat management standpoint.

LEM is more difficult to shoot fast at higher levels of performance but it is perfectly adequate for a good performance. I started to shoot late in life, started to compete even later, and made a B class with LEM. I got a light pin with Gabe, an intermediate score at Rogers, and I run sub 6 FAST with it consistently. I would argue that it is more than sufficient technical performance.

LEM is faster on a first shot than HK's DA/SA.

A prevailing opinion is that the majority of DGUs (defensive gun uses) by civilians do not involve firing a gun. "Gun doesn't come out till the decision..." sounds too dogmatic. Hence the threat management aspect appears to be equally important for civilians.

I won't call myself a "highly trained", just a reasonably trained civilian and for me LEM offers an advantage of a faster first shot, especially one handed, especially support hand, especially over garbage HK DA, and not having to run a decocker, at a cost of slower follow-up shots and somewhat lesser margin of safety before the first shot. Nothing more than just another option.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts