HKPRO Forums banner

Is the LEM trigger mod worth it?

DA/SA vs. LEM

7K views 30 replies 26 participants last post by  Big Bore 
#1 ·
What's the forum consensus?

What is the forum's verdict on the LEM trigger for the USP?

I'm thinking about upgrading - if it is worth doing. ;)

#3 ·
Different Strokes for Different Folks.

Me personaly, I like it on my USP 45. At times I also like my basic DA/SA on my USPc. Find someone at the range with one and give it a whirl. Do you value/need an external safety/decocker?? Do you like simple consistnet trigger pulls?? I'm not sure if there is a right or wrong answer, all just a matter of personal choice.

#6 ·
+1

If you can try before you buy. I had a few LEM models but sold them all as I prefer DA/SA. The LEM is one of the better double actions triggers available but I prefer the DA/SA trigger as it works best for me.

#4 ·
Getting a USPc w/LEM. I originally wanted the variant 5 with the LEM trigger set up. I just prefer a consistent pull and not half to worry about cocked and locked, etc., etc. Besides, I also learned that, unless I get the trigger reduced to 4, 5 or 6 lbs, then I may have the safety installed and that will be as close as I get to the standard set up. Also, from this point forward, all future HKs I purchase will have the LEM, P2000, HK45c, another USPc.

#9 ·
question about triggers

LEM model is DAO? I have a P2000v3 and find that the double action trigger pull is long and hard. It really affects my first shot accuracy and speed. I've been practicing drawing and cocking the gun in one smooth motion to eliminate the double action. I may consider a lighter trigger pull on a DAO.

#10 ·
LEM is not DAO, nor is it SAO. It's sorta in between. A more experienced memebr may be able to put it inwords better than I can. It has a very light take up, then breaks like a SA. The hammer is not cocked like a SA though.

About as clear as mud??

#12 ·
From what I understand LEM retains the tension in the hammer spring while keeping the hammer itself disengaged, so you have a long pull but it's much lighter than a standard double action.

I myself still prefer V1. I have small hands and getting my fingers around the trigger in DA/LEM is a pain which also degrades my accuracy.

#16 ·
I could not shoot the LEM on the P2000 worth a damn. I am too used to traditional DA/SA and for me the LEM is too different for me to shoot accuratley. That being said, it is one of the better DAO style triggers out there, I still like it better than SIG's DAK.

Whether or not to have the LEM trigger is like which model HK you like best, all personal preference.

#20 ·
I converted my DA/SA USPc to LEM and a week later changed it back. The LEM system is pre-tensioned (after chambering a round) and essentially the same as carrying a cocked handgun with a simulated double action pull instead of a manual safety. I would take a true DAO over LEM any day, and choose DA/SA as a first choice.

#21 ·
Is the LEM trigger mod worth it?
I voted NO.
I converted my DA/SA USPc to LEM and a week later changed it back. The LEM system is pre-tensioned (after chambering a round) and essentially the same as carrying a cocked handgun with a simulated double action pull instead of a manual safety. I would take a true DAO over LEM any day, and choose DA/SA as a first choice.

#22 ·
ultimately its whatever you are more comfortable shooting. I prefer DA/SA because i feel with the single action i can get off faster follow up shots then with LEM plus it gives me an extra button to play with. lol. LEM does have its perks - for p2000 & Sk models no hammer so less of a snag issue, dont have to worry about decocking, or accidentally firing a round (however if you have good muzzle/trigger discipline that should never be an issue)

#23 ·
DA/SA for me. It REALY is a question of Your personal liking only. Go and try, compare and evaluate. Get what You like and train and train and... train a little more :)

#25 ·
The LEM is like carrying cocked and locked only the trigger remains full forward. There is almost no pressure required to bring the trigger back to the single action firing position. Also the hammer moves freely with the trigger.

#26 ·
I would say it depends on what you are using the weapon for. I use my P2000 .40 LEM as a CCW. I like that the LEM has less controls to fiddle with in a gun fight. I also like the safety of the longer trigger pull. The LEM is a smooth consistent trigger. If you are used to a DA/SA it will probably require some practice to get used to the LEM. I would say practice is the key. With my P2000 I can draw from my IWB holster and fire three shots rapidly in the orange at 30 feet very consistently.

Remember that in real life high stress situations, fine motor control can be significantly reduced. The answer, to me, is to reduce the number of controls you have to operate, and practice, practice, practice. My P2000 LEM has one control, the trigger, and it operates the same way every time. (I don't use the slide release because, in a gun fight, I don't trust that I will be able to find that little lever; I use an overhand grab with my left hand to pull the slide back.)

To anyone who is interested in what happens to you physiologically in a real gun fight, I would highly suggest On Combat by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. This should be required reading for anyone who carries a weapon.

#28 ·
Given that they sound like the Sig DAK and the HK LEM do the same thing, they feel surprisingly different. I have the lightened LEM in both by USP and USPc and shot the DAK in the 229 at the Sig school. I liked the DAK, but it didn't seem quite as nice as my LEM to me...but as is often stated here, what you practice with is what you're most likely to like!

#29 ·
I think that the LEM is the single best sytem out there for a fighting pistol. It has everything you need. It may take a few mags down range to get the feel for it but once you do it is amazing. No I wouldn't want it on a target gun... My HK's are not tartget guns in any way, they're built for fighting and nothing else.

#30 ·
I'm 42... I guess that makes me old so all I really know is DA/SA. It's what I've trained with for years... I don't even really feel the first trigger pull as being heavier. I know it is, but my perception they are all "lighter" especially coming from a PD during the "conversion years" switching from revolver to semi.

I'm sure as more and more younger guys come up in academy's using DAO and or similar systems they will prefer what they trained with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.