HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need some opinions on what my best route is going to be. I have a PTR-91 and an Vector -51 with a sear. I'm looking for a cheaper way to go plinking and also an occasional trip out to hunt the rabbits.

I'm currently leaning toward the DAG training ammo / bolt just because I can buy two bolts and 2000 rounds for about the price of one .22 lr kit. I read a post that claimed over 3200 fps from the training ammo and accuracy out to 300 meters. That sure sounds like it would be lethal to a rabbit! The downside to this would be if there was a shortage of the blue training ammo.

If I understand the process correctly, going the .22 route would require two kits, one for the -91 and one for the -51 (cut down barrel and bolt carrier). I know that the .22 ammo is far cheaper, but by the time I buy the two kits, I could have many thousands of rounds of the blue practice ammo.

Am I missing something obvious here? It sure seems the training ammo is the smart move here.

As always, I appreciate everyone’s thoughts and opinions on this!

Thanks

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have both a DAG training setup and a German .22lr conversion kit for use in my RRPP G3. While the DAG setup is appealing, I tend to use the .22lr kit more. The .22lr kit is cheaper shooting in the long run and "more funner" for the kiddies.

·
Registered
571 Posts
i considered these options and went with the training ammunition.

i have had experiences with 22LR and rimfire ammunition being a bit finicky. i am not thrilled with installing a barrel sleeve and am afraid the barrel sleeve would be fragile or easily bent.

i do not believe either option would provide accurate fire out to 300m

my blue plastic training ammunition does not reliably penetrate 1/2" OSB at 50 yards. it otherwise works well and is close to the same zero as my Tula 150gr, at least at 50 yards. i routinely shoot it out of my G3K clone. it has run reliable except from the bench where i don't think i gripped it securely enough to return full force of the recoil. i guess you could say i "limp shouldered" it.

·
Registered
725 Posts
MG34 Dan, why would the .22 be "funner" for the kiddies?
No recoil, little muzzle blast, and they have fun loading the mags with "those cute little bullets".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts