HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

HKParts.net is selling this Dakota Tactical made padle mag release pin and bushing (pictured). It uses a 1/8" diameter axle pin. Since the diameter is 1/8" is it legal to drill both sides of the receiver and weld in place? (I know the standard/factory diameter pin can only be drilled from one side). If it's a drill through legal set up I'm suprised it's not listed as such in the item description as it's a huge selling point for all the non padle mag equipped C93's floating around. Just curious and couldn't find it in the add or search and the pin is longer than the magwell area is wide.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Most people will tell you no, it's not ok to drill all the way through. The way I see it the holes are welded over so who cares if it's drilled all the way through or not.
My first one I drilled one side and partially through the other, stopping short of going all the way through. I welded the holes over and smoothed out the bead, refinished the unit and wallah, perfectly legal install.
Personally I think the big deal with the hole all the way through is leaving it that way. That's tabu and I'd not recommend such a thing. But for a paddle install, nobody cares.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Yeah, you guys are right. I modded my post but I can't do anything about the quote. A little more thinking, a little slower typing I'm thinking.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree with Shattered. We xray all the time to check weld penetration and you would be surprised how distinctive a weld pool shows-up on an xray.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the confirmation. My thought is that the 1/8" axle must just be a platform for mounting the shouldered spacer in liu of the spring on the anti rattle style release to keep things tight. Oddly enough, I don't think there's any instructions or warnings with the part and I was really suprised on the lack of hits on searches for "paddle mag release" on the board. Everything I did find seemed to indicate one side only and dimple the receiving end, but nothing specific to 1/8". Hope this helps future users as well.

·
Registered
10,251 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
When I do paddle install I drill both sides of the receiver, however I do one side at a time. So I drill one side, weld then drill the other till I hit the pin and weld.....

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
why would you weld both sides? It would take like 6billion mag changes from a drunken giant ape to move that pin when done right.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Yeah, I'm with Jeepguy. There really is no need to drill both sides as it can be done without it. But drilling the other side after the pin is already in and welded don't seem to make much sense. Enlighten us.

·
Registered
286 Posts
from everything i have read, the only reason you CANT drill the holes is so you CANT use the takdown pin. so since the 1/8 inch hole for the axle pin could not be used for a takedown pin, i see no reason one could not drill all the way through with the 1/8 inch hole. plus its gatting a shelf welded over it anyway.

and yet i still will say how im gonna do it.......

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
..... i see no reason one could not drill all the way through with the 1/8 inch hole. plus its gatting a shelf welded over it anyway........
The reason is because the ATF said so. Though I agree with you for the most part, you can't say there is no reason when there's a rule written about it.

·
Banned
599 Posts
Yes only drill to one side just like hkshooterusp mentioned its not causse it make sense but causse its the law. i assume the same ruling stands when the semi shelf already is welded on.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I had to weld both sides on a PTR a while back cause the inner shelf didn't have enough meat left (after removing material for the paddle) to support the pin on one side. So in the fashion of over doing things, it just stuck.....

·
Registered
961 Posts
The thing is you have made a machine gun between the time the hole breaks both side and the time you weld. And we all know ATFs stance, once a machine gun always a machine gun. Remember, ATF never said the machine gun had to work...

·
Registered
286 Posts
The thing is you have made a machine gun between the time the hole breaks both side and the time you weld. And we all know ATFs stance, once a machine gun always a machine gun. Remember, ATF never said the machine gun had to work...
but isnt that like kinda like saying if you take your A2 stock off to put on an A3 stock you made a pistol out of a rifle for a minute and thats against the law too?

not trying to split hairs, but i always hear about this ATF rule and yet i have never found it or a link to it!! not that i dont believe people but has anyway ever actaully read it or have a link so i could read it with my own two eyes? i dont want to be the one who has to read it at a hearing.....

·
Registered
1,449 Posts

HKParts.net is selling this Dakota Tactical made padle mag release pin and bushing (pictured). It uses a 1/8" diameter axle pin. Since the diameter is 1/8" is it legal to drill both sides of the receiver and weld in place? (I know the standard/factory diameter pin can only be drilled from one side). If it's a drill through legal set up I'm suprised it's not listed as such in the item description as it's a huge selling point for all the non padle mag equipped C93's floating around. Just curious and couldn't find it in the add or search and the pin is longer than the magwell area is wide.
Why not PM Chops and ask him his take on it. After all its his pin.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Easy solution have someone else do it for you.

Bill Springfield, Jeff Walters both come to mind.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts