HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yea, I know, another date code thread.....but this one has a slightly different twist. I have a HK91 with an IC date code that I purchased as "unfired". I haven't disassembled it yet but from what I can see externally (cocking handle, magwell, ejection port) it fits the description. It also comes with the original styrofoam box and shipping box with shipping labels, etc.

The one thing that doesn't seem to "fit" is the A2 stock. In the recess where these stocks are date coded it shows "2/73 H". If 1973 this would be an extremely early HK91 stock since 1974 was the first year of importation with 50 HK91's. Does it seem plausible that HK would put a 1973 stock on a new 1982 rifle? It wouldn't surprise me....but to assume that is pure speculation on my part, and I'd like to get a more definitive answer if possible. The rifle was originally an A2....on the shipping box is written "91-A2". So the question that comes to mind is why would someone take the original stock off an unfired rifle and replace it with a non-original, then put it back in the safe until they sell it?

This might seem trivial to most of you but, since this package does have some collector value, I thought I'd try to find an answer before I ever represent it as all original. Thanks.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Very plausible, HK is a mass manufacturer, for logistical reasons, they produce some items in VERY large batches. Your receiver simply was paired with a stock that had been in storage. HK doesnt mark items with date codes for any other reason than to identify an item that may have been superceded with an improved version. They are also famous for not wanting to make changes in basic components, like your A1 stock, handguards etc.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Yea, I know, another date code thread.....but this one has a slightly different twist. I have a HK91 with an IC date code that I purchased as "unfired". I haven't disassembled it yet but from what I can see externally (cocking handle, magwell, ejection port) it fits the description. It also comes with the original styrofoam box and shipping box with shipping labels, etc.

The one thing that doesn't seem to "fit" is the A2 stock. In the recess where these stocks are date coded it shows "2/73 H". If 1973 this would be an extremely early HK91 stock since 1974 was the first year of importation with 50 HK91's. Does it seem plausible that HK would put a 1973 stock on a new 1982 rifle? It wouldn't surprise me....but to assume that is pure speculation on my part, and I'd like to get a more definitive answer if possible. The rifle was originally an A2....on the shipping box is written "91-A2". So the question that comes to mind is why would someone take the original stock off an unfired rifle and replace it with a non-original, then put it back in the safe until they sell it?

This might seem trivial to most of you but, since this package does have some collector value, I thought I'd try to find an answer before I ever represent it as all original. Thanks.

Someone may have been planning on using an A3 stock or a PSG1 / MSG90 stock and thus the stock's got separated, possible the original stock was scuffed up or lastly since this all it takes is a couple push pins to swap stocks, this stock was NOS at the factory. Not recommended, but could do like the USGI rifle guys and mix and match parts until you have a "all matching rifle" ;-). Good luck and a nice rifle like this should really be fired ;-).

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Which finish does the rifle have: Blue/gray or Black? Does the finish on the backplate/recoil assembly match the rest of the rifle? I have seen mismatched date codes that were 1-3 years apart, but that is the longest spread in date codes that I have heard of.

Best,

TC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts