HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, just to get your input and maybe even enlightenment on why HK has started to put the date code on the frame bellow the trigger guard instead of on the slide as they normally do? First time I went to pick up my HK from the Gun-store and didn't see the date code along with the antler mark, I though I might be getting a wait for it...... counterfeit USP. After further inspection I figured it had the date code on the trigger guard. With that said, I hope this does not denote anything to do with quality however, first time I went to the range and ran 100 rounds of PMC 115 Gr 9mm I encountered 5 stove pipes and a lot of the casings were coming back at my face or what some may call brass to face. Are they pushing too much production? have standards gone down? did the laser etching machine break down? are they too lazy now? Don't really know, too many questions all equally concerning therefore I would like your opinions? I also posted a different thread regarding stovepipes and brass to face, you can go check that on my posts. Thank you for your enlightenment and opinions. HK Newb

·
Registered
23 Posts
My guess would be that they only do that for US imports as the frame is technically the “firearm” in the states.

Would check your extractor hook and make sure there isn’t a piece of brass or burr on it. I’d pull it out completely if possible and clean/lube the extractor channel. Make sure the spring is in good shape.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Exact same things happened to me with the P30L. Most common solution to it is to run 124 grain ammo for the first few hundred rounds. I have been shooting 115 gr too but I just found in my stock piles 600 rounds of browning 124 gr so I am going to give those a try and see if I still get hit in the face.

The P30L also has date code at the bottom of the trigger guard while the VP9 doesn't even have date code.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Clean and lube your gun IAW with the owner's manual. Lock back the slide the night before your next range session to soften the stiff RSA. Use the slower 124 or 147 grain cartridges for the first 200 rounds instead of the faster 115 grains. These steps should resolve the problems you're having.

The date code and proof marks on current HKs are now etched on the trigger guard bottom, and no longer on the slides. I believe it's an HK cost-saving measure. IMO, it sucks, but that's the way it is.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
" Cost saving measure" Dammit HK you had one job "No Compromise" LOL. Glad to hear some of you are also experiencing similar issues and that it is not just me. Makes sense though, HK weapons are meant to handle +P+ loads so the recoil springs should be stronger. However, I must disclose that I did thouroughly go through the USP operators manual and it did not mention anything in regards to +P+ ammo in the ammunition selection section besides just choosing quality factory ammunition and staying clear of foreign or reloaded ammunition. If some of you still have your manuals, in what page does it mention +P+ ammo? With that said I'll try to get to the range soon enough just has I can get some 124 gr or 147 gr ammo.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
It’s on the internet, so it must be true so folks cling to HK’s are spec’d for NATO 124gr.

USP Series OPERATOR’S MANUAL
Covering USP, USP Compact, and USP Specialized models
© Heckler & Koch, 11/99, 1/07, 6/09, 8/10, revised May 2013
pg.13
The USP Series Pistol is designed to fire quality, factory loaded ammunition loaded to SAAMI specifications for use specifically in handguns. For use with ammunition with hard primers (i.e. some NATO spec. cartridges), a special hammer spring is available.
NOTE: In compliance with NIJ Standard—0112.00, currently there are no known ammunition types that meet the general guidelines set forth in this section that are not compatible with the USP series pistols. All USPs are approved for use with +P and +P+ ammunition as it applies to the specific caliber. The use of +P and +P+ ammunition accelerates wear and reduces the service life on the component parts of any pistol, including the USP series pistols.

All my other BH+ HK OM’s state identical compatibility with SAAMI (aka 115gr).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeap, just went over my HK manual again in pg 13, section 4 and it does not specifically mention +P+ besides just like you mentioned the firearm being designed for SAAMI spec. I also just got off a short phone call from HK customer service to ask them about the stovepipe issue I got and the representative mentioned that it is recommended to clean off all the cosmoline from the gun before the first range session, he also recommended using 124 gr.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts