HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Here is what started it out for me. Back in the late 90's reading the ShotGun News I see an add to convert an HK 93 to a 53. Well sent it off and about 6 months later I took possession of this and a Fleming registered sear. Actually got one of 2 that they had left.

Now this conversion used whatever parts could be found at the time and really never worked very well. Many jams. So I just put up the gun for years and finally got ahold of Jeff Walters who told me to get a new 53 recoil rod and spring a new extractor a new extractor spring a new number 15 locking piece. Took everything to him and in about 15 minutes it was fixed. Went out to shoot it and now never jams and never fails.

Now I am planning to do a major overhaul with this host over the next few months. Replace the cut down barrel with a new CHF barrel new correct 53 cocking tube support maybe a welded rail and a complete refinish.

So here is the question do you think refinishing it is a good idea or just leave it alone. It is a true HK93 rebuilt as a 53 with all HK parts.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I'm guessing Vollmer refinished it when it was converted, so you're not detracting from the rifle by refinishing it at this point. If it needs refinishing, have st it.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it was refinished by Vollmer. He had to cut down the barrel and the cocking tube support and other work to get it to a 53. In the late 90's there really was not any parts available like today. They even took the number 7 locking piece and ground it down to a 15 or whatever they used. That is why it really never worked until I had it corrected.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Have you ever shot it on paper at distance? It is my understanding that the 53 length 1/12 twist barrel doesn't stabilize even a 55 gr bullet very well. It would seem to me that a 1/7 twist barrel would make for better function and for heavier bullet use. Have you thought of buying a HK 53 fore end? I have bought HK original fore ends for the HK cocking tubes, cocking tube supports, and barrels. Since the 53 is with a HK receiver, I'd think it would be worth while to have a HK barrel and cocking tube.

There is a little things to finish two of the three 53s I'm fortunate to own. One is a SW53 AR receiver and a HK53 parts set. One is a SW53 AR receiver and parts set with Adam's US made cocking tube, HK 53 carrier and RCM 53 barrel. The last is a CA53 AR. I bought 53 fore ends and flash hiders for the 33 parts set and the CA53 AR. I also bought a couple of 53 rear sights from Gatewood to replace the surplus rifle sights. I did go nuts with RCM LPs. I got #15 and #3 LPs for all three guns. I think the little things can really "finish" a build. Keep the pictures coming.

Scott

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you ever shot it on paper at distance? It is my understanding that the 53 length 1/12 twist barrel doesn't stabilize even a 55 gr bullet very well. It would seem to me that a 1/7 twist barrel would make for better function and for heavier bullet use. Have you thought of buying a HK 53 fore end? I have bought HK original fore ends for the HK cocking tubes, cocking tube supports, and barrels. Since the 53 is with a HK receiver, I'd think it would be worth while to have a HK barrel and cocking tube.

There is a little things to finish two of the three 53s I'm fortunate to own. One is a SW53 AR receiver and a HK53 parts set. One is a SW53 AR receiver and parts set with Adam's US made cocking tube, HK 53 carrier and RCM 53 barrel. The last is a CA53 AR. I bought 53 fore ends and flash hiders for the 33 parts set and the CA53 AR. I also bought a couple of 53 rear sights from Gatewood to replace the surplus rifle sights. I did go nuts with RCM LPs. I got #15 and #3 LPs for all three guns. I think the little things can really "finish" a build. Keep the pictures coming.

Scott
Scott you are spot on on the barrel. That is one of the main reasons I am having it redone. I have not done a lot of paper testing on this gun. Actually for years I did not shoot it and when Jeff finally got it working I was just glad to be able to shoot it. It is in reality a cut down 1/12 twist barrel and yes that bothers me. So yes a barrel change is in the plans also the cocking tube support was cut up from the 53 and is not a true 53 support. Jeff is going to look at that and see what can be done. I have both number 3 and 15 HK locking pieces I can use in the host. To give you some idea what work we did on this to get it to just function.

Replace locking piece, new extractor, new extractor spring, new recoil rod and spring, new stock. The one that came with it was not buffered. It did not have a buffer on the stock and the bolt carrier is not buffered. I also replaced the forearm with a 53 forearm and replaced the flash hider with a 53 hider. The sights are original 93 sights.

So when we meet for the machine gun shoot at Jeff's place this host is coming with me and I will let Jeff do his magic.

Again thank you for your input as I value reading your posts to get good information.

I have one more 223 host today then we move to the 7.62x39 hosts.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Thank you for your kind words. A quick search of Gatewood supply and I found German HK 53 Barrel Front End .223 5.56 for a complete HK 53 fore end. which is $1,049 + shipping. That is certainly more than a RCM 53 barrel and a US 53 cocking tube. Is your cocking tube support to 53 specs? I take it the carrier is the original cut down and welded up? Gatewood wants $325 for a used 53 carrier and HK parts wants $400 for a new one.

The only reason I have a clone with a HK53A3 parts set was that I bought the 53 parts set for $1,700 shipped. It came with a burst trigger group and a like new 25 rd steel mag. I think I sold the trigger group for $355 shipped and traded the mag for $50 worth of AK services. So for $1,300 for the HK parts I needed for a 53, plus $225 for the SW53 AR receiver, and Jeff's build cost I'm happy with it.

Have you thought of selling it as is and building a new one? I'm guessing just the receiver is worth at least $2,000. Cocking tube replacement and barrel replacement sounds like a pretty big over hall. Is the modified carrier in spec? If not are you going to need to replace that too. The gun runs just the way it is. There are those collectors that "must" have a HK receiver but don't shoot much. I'd be willing to bet you could sell it, get Jeff to build you a barreled receiver, and put a couple of thousand into ammo. Just a thought.

Scott

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scott again thanks for the input. You are correct on all above. All of this parts were cut down and modified from a 93 by Vollmer. I am looking into doing just as you suggested. At some point it might not be worth it. Especially since I have a great 53 host that Jeff built for me that just runs great. I will post what I find out when Jeff looks at it. I took it out yesterday and it was a mixed bag. Had 3 jams out of 100 rounds. And what is strange is this had not been happening the last times I used this host. It had been working great. Now I replaced the extractor spring checked the bolt gap. It was ok don't remember what it was. I used three different types of ammo. I would get something like a stove pipe but the spent case was caught up on the chamber in between the bolt and trunion. I tried HK 30 round mags and got the jam. Tried the older HK 25 or is is 20 round steel mag and it worked perfectly. So we will see. I have memories with that gun since it was my first host. What I really want is a 93 a real one from HK. Wish I had not had it cut down

1 - 7 of 7 Posts