HKPRO Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Why you want to add a dis-similar new caliber handgun in todays climate is beyond me.
Do you shoot the 40 well?
Can you yourself think of anything the 45 can do better than your 40, especially if you have already purchased
an ample supply of practice & defense ammo?
Lots of immature responses to your original question. Make a mature decision based on your needs and select the
proper HK tool.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Why you want to add a dis-similar new caliber handgun in todays climate is beyond me.
There's multiple solutions to today's climate:
1) Pick one and STACK IT DEEP...make hay while the sun is shining.
2) Have a primary and a back up secondary (say 75/25) If you get caught again, you have a backup that might have a different market availability
3) At least 2 flavors and one additional oddball (45/45/10). More availability, but fewer overall for each.

Pick your poison

When your HK wants overrule your HK needs, you have HK addiction. Without that addiction, I would have stopped after my 2nd HK years ago.
Fastest way to cure the "addiction" is to get crushed and see a mechanical performance margin stacked against you. Changes that wants/needs priority around quick, fast and in a hurry if by chance you play for blood, money, or meat.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
@OP,

When in doubt, pick the one the original design. While rooted in the mk23 and the .45 is indeed good to go, the .40 is the true OEM, plus more onboard pills in the mag.

·
Registered
P30L P30SK USP45T USP9EX HK45C VP9L VP9 VP9SK
52 Posts
I'd say go with the Mk23sk also known (by me...) as the USP45T... ;) Besides, .45 ain't going anywhere and .40 welllllllI dunno. Sticking with .45 and 9mm myself.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'd start with .45 just because.

.40 isn't going anywhere either. It's performed well on the street for over 30 years and really became a stepchild once the Bureau told everyone 9mm was "good enough." That said, if non-bonded and/or ball ammo is all that's available, .40 and .45 still outperforms 9mm.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I like both rounds and reload for both of them. I love USPs and have them in all the calibers. Why limit yourself.

The argument for the .45 as a suppressor host is a good one. But one thing I haven’t seen mentioned is the ability to convert that .40 into .357 Sig and 9mm. Think EFK makes a .357 Sig barrel and was planning on bringing back a 9mm conversion barrel sometime this year. Think you can only do these conversions with full sized USPs (I may be wrong about that). If that’s the case, go for the .40 which keeps the door open for future caliber conversions. I have a Glock 22 that regularly sees these 3 calibers and it’s fun. A .45 is almost always going to be a .45. Which is fine. It happens to be my favorite round. But having a pistol that will shoot 3 different calibers with just a barrel swap is something worth considering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
13 Posts
I own a USP compact in 40. Bought it new in the 1980s for $600 with two 12 rd magazines.

I would like to go to a USP tactical. The deciding factor is whether to go to 40 or 45. Does the full size 40 magazines fit into the compact? If not then the 45 tactical makes more sense.
go .45 for sure. I have a P30L in .40, while I love the gun and it shoots beautifully… .40 is going the way of the dodo anymore. 9mm and .40 are the way to go. I’m actually going to try and sell all the .40 top end and the .357 Sig RCM barrel along with all the ammo for both to partially finance a 9mm top end.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yikes. I can't think of a single scenario short of me sitting on an absolute truckload of 40SW ammo that I would EVER pick a 40 over a 45, especially in USP flavor.

Glocks shine in 9mm. HKs shine in 45. 40 was, is, and always will be an awkward, near-useless middle of the road caliber.

I vote USP45T, twice.
Ridiculous fanboy statement, 40 is as good or better than both 9 and 45, I have all three P30 in 9 and 40 and an HK 45, almost equal in every respect. I have a VP9 and a VP40 as well. I like them all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a USP compact in 40. Bought it new in the 1980s for $600 with two 12 rd magazines.

I would like to go to a USP tactical. The deciding factor is whether to go to 40 or 45. Does the full size 40 magazines fit into the compact? If not then the 45 tactical makes more sense.

I own both. I use a thread adapter to allow the use of my 45 suppressor on the 40. I shoot the 45 better than the 40, but I really like the jet funnel and 16 round mags. If you’re looking for a shooter, the 45 is the better choice in my opinion though.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Magazines will not fit. 45T would be the way to go. Good luck finding a 40T, they were discontinued in 2018. I know because I bought one of the last ones. It works fine with my Sig SRD 45 suppressor.

·
Premium Member
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
627 Posts
Endless debate with my LEO friends - I pretty much stick with NATO rounds 556 762 9mm & 45 acp - The 40 is a concession for smaller officers.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I believe H&K could not get the 357SIG round to feed reliably in the USP40 full-size. It works beautifully on 40 Compact (just dropping in a 357 barrel).

edit: it’s because of the magazine not the gun.
RCM 357sig conversion barrel and USP9 jet-funnel mags work on the USP40 FS. I shot a USP40 in that configuration (range and SD ammo). No problems at all.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts