HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - My birthday is coming up and I've decided to treat myself. I've always wanted an MP5 (what child of the 80's hasn't?) and now is the time for me to get one. Granted, my decision has been made never having handled one before. Thankfully a member on a local gun board has offered to let me shoot his Zenith MKE, so hopefully I'll get to shoot it next week.

In reading here and other places, I've mostly narrowed it down to the HK SP5K or a Bretheren Arms BA9.

My budget is in the $2000 - $2500 ballpark.

Since I haven't yet set up a trust or gone down the NFA rabbit hole, it will need to stay in pistol configuration at the beginning. After purchasing, I definitely plan to SBR whatever I get. This is where the BA9 comes in...being US made, the SBR conversion should be simpler to comply with 922r (no changes necessary for a US built gun). And down the road further, I may add a suppressor. Though I really like the idea of having a true HK. For reference, both my ARs are Colt and all my revolvers are S&W.

Full auto is not legal in Washington, where I live. So whatever I get will stay semi-auto.

Do you guys have any guidance for an MP5 noob? After reading threads here and articles elsewhere, I still don't know what I don't know. So any help is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Priest of the P7
4,889 Posts
Seems silly to me not to buy the real thing if you have the means.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's part of my dilemma...I'd like the real thing but the SBR conversion and suppressor addition gets dicey...

·
The Librarian
MP5-N and HK23E-K
5,536 Posts
SP5K and done!

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Sounds like 922r and a 3-lug are more important to you than a 'german' gun. Figure all the expense of US parts and a barrel, maybe a mag release. You are in the same ballpark as a Dakota Tactical or another top shelf clone.

Decide if the receiver has to be 'made in Germany ' and go from there.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If it doesn't say hk on it it's not an hk! It's not hard at all to sbr the gun!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like 922r and a 3-lug are more important to you than a 'german' gun. Figure all the expense of US parts and a barrel, maybe a mag release. You are in the same ballpark as a Dakota Tactical or another top shelf clone.

Decide if the receiver has to be 'made in Germany ' and go from there.
I just posted in the NFA forum about this. From what I can see, I'll be in another $500 to convert the HK and stay 922r compliant. Unless there's something I'm missing...

As much as I want an HK stamp on the receiver, I'm not sure that it makes sense for me...

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Go SP5K.....or contact Jayson at IGF.....your cost will be about the same in the end. Personally.....stretch your dollar...and get the SP5K. At the end of the day...you'll get your money back if you have to dump it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
...and who knows how long HK will continue to import the SP5K. It could be a short window of optimal import/export conditions which are creating a rare opportunity in our market for these.

Even if you SBR the semi- SP5K, it will still be a 'factory' gun that's guaranteed by HK to run from the start and well into the future. Simple answer,

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would suggest you buy a MP5 kit (there are at least two for sale now on this board) and have Jeff at PCS build it for you. His pricing is very competitive and his turn time is second to none. I have two that Jeff built as pistols and have been very happy with them. I was able to buy the kits from Seth at PCS Manufacturing (they make the PCS MP5 weld kits). It is also possible that Jeff may have one in stock, you should check with him. As others have mentioned the process to SBR the guns is really pretty simple. If you take this approach, at the end, you will have a gun that is very close to a real MP5...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate the comments and discussion.

After learning more about swapping parts, I'm leaning heavily toward a factory SP5K. Having the HK stamp on the side is meaningful to me as part of my collection. Just like my ARs are Colt and my revolvers are S&W.

Building from a kit is intriguing from the 922r standpoint for when I file the SBR paperwork, though. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
488 Posts
SP5K. Without a doubt. It will always be a real HK. Anything else regardless of quality is just a clone. And that's an honest answer from a guy that has and does own several real HK's and Several low and high quality clones.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts